WEBrick on a production server?

Question

Hi guys,
?
I recently got into Ruby on Rails, actually I got into it a while ago but I'm back to this golden nugget again. So far, it is bit problematic to setup Ruby on Rails with Apache or NGINX and Passenger. With Vagrant and an Ubuntu base box, I had the easiest time when I fired off WEBrick and made it listen to port 80.
?
So, I was wonder, how powerful is WEBrick for production use? Any gotchas I should be aware of?
?
I plan on using something like Linode or Digitalocean.
?
Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Hi guys,
?
I recently got into Ruby on Rails, actually I got into it a while ago but I'm back to this golden nugget again. So far, it is bit problematic to setup Ruby on Rails with Apache or NGINX and Passenger. With Vagrant and an Ubuntu base box, I had the easiest time when I fired off WEBrick and made it listen to port 80.
?
So, I was wonder, how powerful is WEBrick for production use? Any gotchas I should be aware of?
?
I plan on using something like Linode or Digitalocean.
?
Thanks!

You shouldn't use WEBrick for a production application. It doesn't perform well and is missing almost everything you would want from a production server.

You shouldn't use WEBrick for a production application. It doesn't perform well and is missing almost everything you would want from a production server.

I see. I managed to test Passanger both on Apache and NGINX. I was following an outdated article, hence the struggle. The recent version of the Passenger for both NGINX and Apache worked flawlessly.