Windows 7 Upgrade to Windows 10 RTM

Currently running: Windows 7 Home Premium(SP1) 64-bit

Tonight, for the first time, I got a notification in my status bar that ask me to reserve my copy of Windows 10 when it is released.

There was a screen that I can no longer reproduce that allowed me to enter my email address so that they could notify me when Win10 is available. 

I went ahead and reserved my copy.

I have one thing that I would like to point out. First, if you look at the first screen that I am attaching, you'' see that there are a set of breadcrumbs at the bottom. Secondly, you'll see that there is a hamburger menu at the top left of the screen.

The breadcrumbs simply show additional screens explaining the advantages of Windows 10, i.e. The new features of Windows 10.

What I missed, however, when I first looked at the screen was the hamburger menu at the top left. I didn't really look closely at the screen and missed it. The first thing I looked at was "Step 1" and saw the asterisk which immediately drew my attention down to the bottom right. After seeing this screen I went ahead and reserved my copy without first seeing the hamburger menu.

if you click on the hamburger menu, you will see the menu on the left (shown in the next screen). The first thing that drew my attention on this menu was the menu item that said that it had done a compatibility check on my machine. Here I was told that my computer could be upgraded but that I "would have problems with my display". (See the final screen.)

My reason for posting is that I feel that the hamburger menu at the top left should be bigger. I completely missed it and I'm sure the average person would miss it too. (They may have not ever seen a hamburger menu.)

Secondly, I didn't realize that it had performed a compatibility check until after I had reserved my copy. 

If the average person reserved their copy not realizing that it had found compatibility issues, they could very well be confused when the "setup" runs and they suddenly run into warnings about incompatibilities. 

post-535642-0-89337300-1433137080.jpg

post-535642-0-76587700-1433137101.jpg

post-535642-0-20481500-1433137118.jpg

I would like to ask a question to clear some things up. There seems to be some confusion both in my mind, and several other people.

Regarding entering your previous product key (Win 7 or 8) into Windows 10 for the free upgrade:

If I enter my previous key into Windows 10 does that now "void" my Windows 7 license? i.e. If I decide to go back to Windows 7 in the future has my license been "transferred" to Windows 10, or is the licence tied to the machine so that I can use Windows 7 or Windows 10 as long as it's on that one machine?

Currently running: Windows 7 Home Premium(SP1) 64-bit

Tonight, for the first time, I got a notification in my status bar that ask me to reserve my copy of Windows 10 when it is released.

There was a screen that I can no longer reproduce that allowed me to enter my email address so that they could notify me when Win10 is available. 

I went ahead and reserved my copy.

I have one thing that I would like to point out. First, if you look at the first screen that I am attaching, you'' see that there are a set of breadcrumbs at the bottom. Secondly, you'll see that there is a hamburger menu at the top left of the screen.

The breadcrumbs simply show additional screens explaining the advantages of Windows 10, i.e. The new features of Windows 10.

What I missed, however, when I first looked at the screen was the hamburger menu at the top left. I didn't really look closely at the screen and missed it. The first thing I looked at was "Step 1" and saw the asterisk which immediately drew my attention down to the bottom right. After seeing this screen I went ahead and reserved my copy without first seeing the hamburger menu.

if you click on the hamburger menu, you will see the menu on the left (shown in the next screen). The first thing that drew my attention on this menu was the menu item that said that it had done a compatibility check on my machine. Here I was told that my computer could be upgraded but that I "would have problems with my display". (See the final screen.)

My reason for posting is that I feel that the hamburger menu at the top left should be bigger. I completely missed it and I'm sure the average person would miss it too. (They may have not ever seen a hamburger menu.)

Secondly, I didn't realize that it had performed a compatibility check until after I had reserved my copy. 

If the average person reserved their copy not realizing that it had found compatibility issues, they could very well be confused when the "setup" runs and they suddenly run into warnings about incompatibilities. 

I released some Intel HD 4000 drivers on this forum that work with Win 10.

PS.. if no new ones come out I could have a search. 

I released some Intel HD 4000 drivers on this forum that work with Win 10.

PS.. if no new ones come out I could have a search. 

Thanks for responding.

I have been trying to get some help with a problem after I first posted the original message.

The day after I got that screen saying that I had compatibility issues, the scan was run again and it then showed that my machine was "Good To Go". 

I have been puzzled as to how it found problems one day and then gave me the "good to go" the very next day.

The only possible explanation that  I was given  (I think it was just a guess) was that Windows Update "updated" the list of incompatible devices and when it did, my hardware was now showing to be compatible.

That still leaves me with the uneasy feeling about which to believe.

Thanks for responding.

I have been trying to get some help with a problem after I first posted the original message.

The day after I got that screen saying that I had compatibility issues, the scan was run again and it then showed that my machine was "Good To Go". 

I have been puzzled as to how it found problems one day and then gave me the "good to go" the very next day.

The only possible explanation that  I was given  (I think it was just a guess) was that Windows Update "updated" the list of incompatible devices and when it did, my hardware was now showing to be compatible.

That still leaves me with the uneasy feeling about which to believe.

Don't be so quick to believe the list regardless of hardware.

They only put up there what they know about. There are still a few drivers out there that do not work properly and are not on that list.

Think of it as more of a marketing / "the known unknowns" list.

Either way you can be assured that Intel will support the HD 4000 for the release of 10.

I wouldn't even worry if I was you! : )