E3 2015 Microsoft Press Conference Discussion

Gold is gold regardless of what xbox you have. 

I just "bought" Just Cause 2 for free as a gold subscriber on Xbox.com. I didn't see Thief as a free game though, only Just Cause 2 for 360. Are you sure Thief wasn't 1st to 15th and we just switched to the second game of the month (Just Cause 2) ?

So, other way around actually

On Xbox 360, starting Monday, June 1st, Just Cause 2 ($14.99 ERP) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through June  15th. Then on June 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Thief ($29.99 ERP) for free through June 30th.

Guess they haven't switched over to the 16th> game yet. 

Ok, cool.

This may be that I have an old Card on the account so until I fix that it won't offer me the free download but thanks for the confirmation guys. Shame I missed on out JC 2 though if it's just gone :(

EDIT: It was that I was just simply missing a card on my account, not sure how it got removed (maybe the one registered expired or something) but as soon as I did it allowed me to "purchase" the game for free.

Yeah... maybe on Neowin. Anyone who has wanted a FF7 remake doesn't simply stop caring about it a few hours later because it could be on the Xbox. Let's keep in mind no other platforms are announced and the only two FF7 went to was PC/PS, for any console war folk who are trying to say even the potential of it on Xbox somehow makes FF7 fans disappointed.

FF7 fans care more about the fact it actually looks like a full-scale remake, not up-rezzed 1997 polygons, not who's got what exclusivity.

My comment has nothing to do with FF7 fans, it's coming, in 2017, your not getting it this holiday, your still going to be waiting.  The fact it's not locked to the PS4 in this case means Sony lost a big chance to steal a huge win at E3 but didn't.  The fact it's timed means I can just wait that extra month or two and play it on my PC or the Xbox.  Fans that wanted the remake got it, the initial excitement of the news isn't going to last like it did yesterday, again, we're talking late 2017 here.

I watched the new UI video. Where is my ability to snap TV?

Snap is still there, I believe in the official video they say as much, also if you look at the quick menu at the side, the very last icon, at the bottom, looks like the snap icon.   The new UI doesn't lose any functionality, it's just lighter, faster now.

• Like 2

My comment has nothing to do with FF7 fans, it's coming, in 2017, your not getting it this holiday, your still going to be waiting.  The fact it's not locked to the PS4 in this case means Sony lost a big chance to steal a huge win at E3 but didn't.  The fact it's timed means I can just wait that extra month or two and play it on my PC or the Xbox.  Fans that wanted the remake got it, the initial excitement of the news isn't going to last like it did yesterday, again, we're talking late 2017 here.

You've missed his point entirely.

The excitement is not that it may or may not be PS4 exclusive. FF7 is one of the highest regarded games ever and the news of the remake is what people care about.

I've yet to see anyone give a damn about it releasing on more than one platform. They just care that it's coming at all.

Until we know any further details what is your logic behind a month or two? We do not even know what other platforms it is coming to, let alone for how long. As I said the excitement isn't based around speculation on console wars, simply that we are getting it, so no, excitement isn't going to die for any FF7 fan. It's the kind of remake that supercedes any bickering over exclusivity - Even if you want to go there, those that really want to play it will want to play it first, and speculating on a timeframe, I doubt any funding or partnership Sony may have given to Square is going to be based around a month or two. By 2017 a PS4 should be fairly cheap, bundle FF7 with it (or even release a LE console), and the bulk of your sales will be in the first few weeks/month. That's all to do with the semantics of exclusivity though, and that is NOT where the excitement comes from.

Until we know any further details what is your logic behind a month or two? We do not even know what other platforms it is coming to, let alone for how long. As I said the excitement isn't based around speculation on console wars, simply that we are getting it, so no, excitement isn't going to die for any FF7 fan. It's the kind of remake that supercedes any bickering over exclusivity - Even if you want to go there, those that really want to play it will want to play it first, and speculating on a timeframe, I doubt any funding or partnership Sony may have given to Square is going to be based around a month or two. By 2017 a PS4 should be fairly cheap, bundle FF7 with it (or even release a LE console), and the bulk of your sales will be in the first few weeks/month. That's all to do with the semantics of exclusivity though, and that is NOT where the excitement comes from.

The initial excitement fans felt when it was announced will drop, I never said it'll go away completely, why are you thinking that is what I meant?

As for my logic, timed exclusives don't tend to last super long, but even if it's 4 months or 6, there's still going to be people who will play it on whatever they're preferred platform is, even as FF fans, it's why Square is putting FF on everything and anything they can, spread it out to more gamers.  I know a number of gamers who'd play it but ONLY on the PC, they just don't want a console of any type.

And what other platforms would it come to if it's not a PS4 exclusive?  I mean does it take much to say it's either the PC or the Xbox or both?  There's only 3 platforms they'd bring this game to, you don't need them to spell it out for you.  As a person who games on the PC and console I spread my gaming around, I could decide to play a game on the PC or on the console or w/e.

The initial excitement fans felt when it was announced will drop, I never said it'll go away completely, why are you thinking that is what I meant?

As for my logic, timed exclusives don't tend to last super long, but even if it's 4 months or 6, there's still going to be people who will play it on whatever they're preferred platform is, even as FF fans, it's why Square is putting FF on everything and anything they can, spread it out to more gamers.  I know a number of gamers who'd play it but ONLY on the PC, they just don't want a console of any type.

And what other platforms would it come to if it's not a PS4 exclusive?  I mean does it take much to say it's either the PC or the Xbox or both?  There's only 3 platforms they'd bring this game to, you don't need them to spell it out for you.  As a person who games on the PC and console I spread my gaming around, I could decide to play a game on the PC or on the console or w/e.

That's a bit of a watery argument if that's what you're getting at then. The initial explosion of excitement in terms of people screaming and throwing their pets across the room never lasts any more than 10-15 minutes for anything. That's really in the realms of reaction vs excitement. What most of us are saying is this is the kind of announcement that any fan of FF7 isn't going to think is "meh" a while later, even if it's years off, unless of course Square were to somehow butcher the remake. If you polled FF7 fans now with their intent to buy, I'd say you'd end up with like 90%+ of them actually buying the game when it's released.

Of course people will wait if it comes to PC for superior graphics and/or mods. Going into the territory of exclusivity again though, the PC isn't a threat to Sony. Their direct competition is the Xbox and Wii. A PC to run this at something like 2x the PS4s graphics will not cost the same as a PS4 in 2017. An Xbox and Wii would always be around the same cost as a PS4. Word so far is that this is another SF5 situation, so PC/PS4. We will find out fairly soon I'd say, especially if journalists start probing, but for now I'd say it's far from a sure shot this will hit anything other than PC/PS4, we await the facts. Remember FF7 went to PC back in the day, 1 year after the PS1, even with Sony publishing it and owning a chunk of Square. As you'd guess the sales ratio will astronomically favoured the PS1 against the PC, although the PC port was rather crap. That still happens these days, games sell more on consoles than on the PC most of the time. See The Witcher 3 recently. Watch out for SF5's upcoming sales, and both of those are day 1 console/PC.

edit: Just FTR, on a personal opinion, FF7 deserves to be everywhere, so I wish all fans alike whatever they own to be able to play it. It's a miracle we're actually getting it and not just being stuffed with that PS4 port.

Yeah... maybe on Neowin. Anyone who has wanted a FF7 remake doesn't simply stop caring about it a few hours later because it could be on the Xbox. Let's keep in mind no other platforms are announced and the only two FF7 went to was PC/PS, for any console war folk who are trying to say even the potential of it on Xbox somehow makes FF7 fans disappointed.

FF7 fans care more about the fact it actually looks like a full-scale remake, not up-rezzed 1997 polygons, not who's got what exclusivity.

Square Enix just mentioned coming first to Playstation so let's see

The excitement is not that it may or may not be PS4 exclusive. FF7 is one of the highest regarded games ever and the news of the remake is what people care about.

I've yet to see anyone give a damn about it releasing on more than one platform. They just care that it's coming at all.

Why are you both confusing things here and putting meaning into things where I didn't place any?   My original comment has zero to do with fans, it's purely a case of Sony missing a chance to score a big win, IMO.  Nothing more nothing less, why you two feel the need to drag this into a argument over "the fans just wanted the game remade they don't care where" is not something I was even questioning in the first place.  

You initial top of the top excitement that it's coming now is going to die down, it's human nature, we get super excited and then we cool off.  That doesn't mean you forget about it completely, and I never said so either.  It's like we're not speaking English and things are being lost in the translation or something.

• Like 1

That's a bit of a watery argument if that's what you're getting at then. The initial explosion of excitement in terms of people screaming and throwing their pets across the room never lasts any more than 10-15 minutes for anything. That's really in the realms of reaction vs excitement. What most of us are saying is this is the kind of announcement that any fan of FF7 isn't going to think is "meh" a while later, even if it's years off, unless of course Square were to somehow butcher the remake. If you polled FF7 fans now with their intent to buy, I'd say you'd end up with like 90%+ of them actually buying the game when it's released.

Of course people will wait if it comes to PC for superior graphics and/or mods. Going into the territory of exclusivity again though, the PC isn't a threat to Sony. Their direct competition is the Xbox and Wii. A PC to run this at something like 2x the PS4s graphics will not cost the same as a PS4 in 2017. An Xbox and Wii would always be around the same cost as a PS4. Word so far is that this is another SF5 situation, so PC/PS4. We will find out fairly soon I'd say, especially if journalists start probing, but for now I'd say it's far from a sure shot this will hit anything other than PC/PS4, we await the facts. Remember FF7 went to PC back in the day, 1 year after the PS1, even with Sony publishing it and owning a chunk of Square. As you'd guess the sales ratio will astronomically favoured the PS1 against the PC, although the PC port was rather crap. That still happens these days, games sell more on consoles than on the PC most of the time. See The Witcher 3 recently. Watch out for SF5's upcoming sales, and both of those are day 1 console/PC.

edit: Just FTR, on a personal opinion, FF7 deserves to be everywhere, so I wish all fans alike whatever they own to be able to play it. It's a miracle we're actually getting it and not just being stuffed with that PS4 port.

Like I said, a few times, my comment had nothing to do with fans, people will play it where they want, it was only viewed as a chance to score a bigger win for Sony but making it PS4 only.   While most fans might rush out and get it right away, we don't know, Square feels there's fans outside the PS4 that will get it, otherwise why bring it out on other platforms, whatever those might be?

At this point in gaming, as development costs rise, it's in everyones interest to spread things out, first party titles being the exception. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day it's still just a remake of an old game, in a style that isn't terribly interesting to "modern" (read:Younger) gamers, or even many of the older generation that was never into the weird jrpg combat games and many who used to have grown out of it and can't be bothered with games that require such a ridiculous time investment. 

yes it's a highly requested game for a remake, BUT by a fairly small hard core audience relatively speaking, it's not going to break sales records. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day it's still just a remake of an old game, in a style that isn't terribly interesting to "modern" (read:Younger) gamers, or even many of the older generation that was never into the weird jrpg combat games and many who used to have grown out of it and can't be bothered with games that require such a ridiculous time investment. 

yes it's a highly requested game for a remake, BUT by a fairly small hard core audience relatively speaking, it's not going to break sales records. 

That has nothing to do with anything we've been talking about? Not to mention highly subjective opinion.

Why are you both confusing things here and putting meaning into things where I didn't place any?   My original comment has zero to do with fans, it's purely a case of Sony missing a chance to score a big win, IMO.  Nothing more nothing less, why you two feel the need to drag this into a argument over "the fans just wanted the game remade they don't care where" is not something I was even questioning in the first place.  

You initial top of the top excitement that it's coming now is going to die down, it's human nature, we get super excited and then we cool off.  That doesn't mean you forget about it completely, and I never said so either.  It's like we're not speaking English and things are being lost in the translation or something.

We most definitely are speaking a different language. Nobody is interested in it being exclusive or scoring points. That's just cave man console war nonsense.

The excitment is solely to see the game being remade and it won't disappear or fade. The game has been anticipated for nearly 10 years since Sony last teased the tech demo in '06 for PS3 (and it was anticipated even before then truly).

It may be subjective, but because I replayed it on the PC recently, I can't help but agree with him. This could end up being a failure in the eyes of the fans because it just doesn't hold up well anymore. We'll have to wait and see what SE comes up with to make it feel fresh, but change too much and it could leave behind a feeling of sacriledge to all those fans that requested it. It's a tough one.

That has nothing to do with anything we've been talking about? Not to mention highly subjective opinion.

Well it kinda does, but on the other hand, what you have been discussing has nothing to do about the Microsoft E3 2015 presentation either...

Well it kinda does, but on the other hand, what you have been discussing has nothing to do about the Microsoft E3 2015 presentation either...

Take that up with Ironman273 then ;)

In all seriousness, I would expect to see specualtion about a potential X1 release, so there's no harm in it being brought up any more than Tomb Raider for PS4.

Like the Sony conference, I loved this one overall. While MS didnt have the nostalgia game impact of FF7 or Shenmue, I saw a lot of game content that excited me. The Rare collection looks awesome. ReCore is one of the three most interesting new IP I have seen at E3. Seeing the team working on it gives me a lot to hope for. Then there is also Sea of Thieves. Its great to see Rare getting back into big game development, and the early look at gameplay was very interesting, so I look forward to more.

Then there was the HoloLens demo. Man, that was just cool to watch and it really got me hooked on the possiblities. I really look forward to see what developers do with this. The fact that its also able to be demoed to people in a conference like this makes it a much easier sell then say VR or even motion controls. Add to the fact that its a stand alone device that can move from console to pc means a lot.

Then there was the Valve partnership. MS has made it loud and clear that they are ready to embrace VR right along with their own efforts around HoloLens. They have a VR answer on console and pc if that medium takes off. Microsoft is working with the two big players in VR to make it happen.

Like Sony, I felt the pacing was great with no cringe moments and very little deviation from the focus on games.

I know this is just about the console event, there are two other points to be made:

1. I have to give more props to MS for embracing the PC event and trying to start over with pc gamers. Announcing the Gears remake and KI for pc were great first steps. They are talking the talk and starting to walk the walk. MS just needs to provide an OS/API that create a good atmosphere for developers and gamers. Then they need to make more of an effort to create games for both it and Xbox. Yes, Xbox exclusives are required, but there is a better balance to aim for. Plus, MS is clearly working towards a mroe unifed platform where maybe they dont need to push anything to Xbox only at some point.

2. The Xbox E3 Daily shows have actually been sources of new info. Monday's show was pretty awesome with the debut of a completely new dashboard UI and Cortana integration. Kudos to them for finding a way to share cool info like that without using up time at the main E3 event. This is the best way to handle non-gaming content at E3. People will not lash out at you if you move it to another event. MS learned its lesson a couple years ago, but I hope they learn this year that doing these daily side events is a grat idea.

We most definitely are speaking a different language. Nobody is interested in it being exclusive or scoring points. That's just cave man console war nonsense.

The excitment is solely to see the game being remade and it won't disappear or fade. The game has been anticipated for nearly 10 years since Sony last teased the tech demo in '06 for PS3 (and it was anticipated even before then truly).

If you don't care then you can sure as heck overlook my comment then, but it seems not.  I don't know how else to put it to you, you want to look at it like a huge win for fans, that's all well and good, no complaints.  That however was not what my comment was about, if you don't find interest in "cave man console war nonsense" at a show that's all about console war nonsense and who has the better event, then just say so and be done with it, there's no need for us to go around in circles debating each others opinions about two different topics for no reason.

Damn, GAF completely imploded after the announcement of backwards compatibility I see. I am just getting caught up back there. That thread is INSANE.

Loaded up Mass Effect the other night, to see how it would perform on the Xbox One.

And it actually ran amazingly well, which is something I wasn't expecting.

Zuma also ran flawlessly as well.

I have about 70 or so digital titles for the 360 (not including the games with gold titles), and would love to be able to play them on the One.

This would allow me to move the 360 to the living room or my daughters room and just make it a Xbox Live Arcade/Netflix/Amazon box for them to enjoy.

They aren't really gamers but like the smaller Pac-Man, and Uno titles and such.

post-469420-0-45939600-1434632139.jpg

Microsoft truly dropped a bomb this E3.

Backwards compability, Halo 5, FM6, mods for Fallout 4 (!!!!!), RotTR, Rare Replay and 'Early Access'.

The announcement that pc mods for Fallout 4 would work on the Xbox One has huge implications beyond Fallout and mods for Microsoft. This is an inflection point in the console business and I'm not sure how many people realize the impact. We'll see in a year.