Assessment of Windows 10 (if it went RTM today)

Why even speculate on "If this Beta software was RTM today". It's not,  That's the whole point of the process. The whole thought of trying to analyze this is borderline insane.

I disagree with this statement.  One of the "Beta" builds at a future date will become RTM - there's no magical flags set on an RTM build (aside from Licensing and a few other minor tweaks).  Therefore it does make sense to analyse the current Beta builds and their suitability for RTM as it appears from commentators here at least that the number of defects identified (particularly with drivers) is pretty high given the number of days to sign-off is getting pretty small.  Unless MS ramps up bug fixing and starts "borrowing" from other teams I personally don't see how they're going to meet the deadline.  

Reading between-the-lines my guess is they've picked this date to get a stable-ish build out to as many people as possible (hence Windows 7/8 free notified upgrades) and get a good 6 month run to get SP1 out before the Holiday season.  Then, they've got a nice stable build on OEM PC's, where they do get revenue from selling a Windows license to the OEM.

Let me guess, ASIO drivers? Is it M-Audio by any chance? They always take aaaaages to bring out any drivers, if at all.

I'm still waiting on working drivers for my PCI M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for Windows 8. At this point I'm never buying an M-Audio/Avid product again. 

If they are done developing drivers for it, then they should at least open source them so the community can develop their own. Or at least release the raw spec sheet with I/O commands for people to work with, instead of putting them in the position of having to illegally reverse engineer it to obtain such information. 

Live news hot off the press:

Beta software is not ready!

/s

An argument that doesn't hold much water when RTM is mere weeks away. General Availability having been confirmed as being July 29th... Enough with the worn out, overused, beaten to death, trotted out "unfinished" shtick. They confirmed its just bug fixes from this point on. 

Unless they do some extremely great improvements in the next few weeks I wont be installing 10 on any production level system's in my or my friends homes. 

Good for you

Out of all my testing systems (AMD, Intel and VM) all are having show stopping issues ranging from bsod to settings & start menu not displaying or updating after changes. 

Out of all my testing systems (AMD, Intel and VM) none are showing what you describe. I'm able to use ableton, visual studio, play games. Everything works fine apart from a few glitches with the start menu. 

PEBKAC? ;)

I was going to upgrade (overwrite) my XP installation to Windows 10, then I saw all that Metro/Cortana crap invading the desktop. Think I'll go with 7 instead. I honestly thought they couldn't make it any worse than 8, but once again, Microsoft proves me wrong :(

I applaud microsoft's new more open attitude towards public testing, I really do, unfortunately it breeds twaddle discussion like this thread that we would never have got with previous releases.

Makes me wonder if closed betas are still a better way to go again.

I applaud microsoft's new more open attitude towards public testing, I really do, unfortunately it breeds twaddle discussion like this thread that we would never have got with previous releases.

Makes me wonder if closed betas are still a better way to go again.

or you could just not read the thread? whenever you involve the general public in anything, it all goes to ****. Suddenly everyone is an expert tester, however the reality is they don't even understand what a beta cycle is or blame Microsoft for a lack of vendor support for third party hardware.

or you could just not read the thread? whenever you involve the general public in anything, it all goes to ****. Suddenly everyone is an expert tester, however the reality is they don't even understand what a beta cycle is or blame Microsoft for a lack of vendor support for third party hardware.

Well, I'll read it as I need to find my entertainment some where, the rest of your post, I totally agree with though.

Ignoring the gazillion bugs they have to squash today, it's a pretty solid upgrade.

Out of all my testing systems (AMD, Intel and VM) none are showing what you describe. I'm able to use ableton, visual studio, play games. Everything works fine apart from a few glitches with the start menu. 

PEBKAC? ;)

lol I wish... The BSOD are mostly caused by incorrectly identified drivers on older hardware; so at this point I've gotten them working together between vista and 7 drivers again. Everything else besides the start menu not responding most of the time and the ocasional Settings failing to save or just suddenly closing has been pretty stable. The only note worth exception is a firefox and html5 youtube videos issue which is causing one of my systems to run full force... but that was fixed by switching back to flash player (how I never thought I would see the day where flash would solve a problem for me)...

Evaluating 10041 Windows 10 isn't a fair assessment. That's an early-ish Preview Build with a lot of features still in transition and in flux. I'm a primarily Linux user now, but I have to call a spade a spade. I've also been called out several times for being a little unfair toward Windows from a security standpoint, but in this particular instance I think that the Windows 10 bashing is jumping the shark somewhat.

Perhaps waiting until we have a Release Candidate to evaluate would be a more logical and valid starting point. Microsoft themselves have acknowledged that initial releases are somewhat flaky the first year or so, and updates/platform upgrades/service packs are used to address OS-Level issues afterward.

My advice: use Windows 10. Give Microsoft as much useful telemetry/Feedback/Bug Reporting as possible. Help them make Windows better instead of simply criticizing it. I've already done the same regarding the security issues I've encountered on relatives' and friends' devices and computers in the past few months (so that I'm not seen as being "all talk"). Then you yourselves can say that you've done your parts.

I did give tons of feedback. constantly. as I found issues. I just stopped at 10041 because as a gamer, my system was broken. it was the driver. So I went back to Windows 8.1 using my recovery disks. I also watched teh news and investigated the screenshots for each new build release thereafter. I just find that the icon scheme is gross. They are obviously purposeful but does nothing to appeal to the eyes. 3d icons are truly appealing and a godo choice for the desktop UI. I don't think MSFT made a goo ddecision with going with the current icon scheme. I can change an icon with a 3d icon but windows , and I saw it with my own eyes, flattened it. If windows 10  fails again, MSFT may be in deep trouble.. and I DID say "IF."

Windows 10 is a no-go for me, as it breaks compatibility with my sound interface. I contacted the manufacturer and they are assessing the situation but won't have any further information until closer to launch. If my sound interface isn't supported I won't be upgrading, as it would cost me

That's one seriously lame "sound interface" if you spent that much and they aren't even providing basic support for a major OS release.

They aren't providing pre-release support. They've said more information will be provided closer to release, though that doesn't mean support is coming. It may be they'll release a driver and everything is fine or may announce that no support is forthcoming, meaning I'm screwed. As I said, other manufacturers of similar hardware aren't providing support yet either (though they may still function on older drivers - I do not know) so it's not like I have much choice in the situation.

Unfortunately the further away you move from mainstream, consumer hardware the slower support tends to be. The people that use it tend to do so just for recording and often use older operating systems that are more established and reliable. It would probably be even worse if I was using top-end recording equipment. The problem I have is that I'm a tech enthusiast / gamer and like upgrading day one (or sooner).

It's a sucky situation but there's nothing I can do about it.

Windows 10 doesn't support my system therefore I won't be upgrading. If and when it is supported I will reassess. The fact it's in beta

I don't know if you've tried this; I have two programs that do not work under a fresh install of Windows 10, but they both work fine when I upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10. It keeps the drivers loaded instead of making me reinstall.

Unfortunately I've tried both. :(

Cheers for the suggestion though.