British tank crushes learner driver's car in Germany

British tank crushes learner driver's car in Germany

_83365575_01_06_2015_01_1.jpg

There's a lot to remember when you're a learner driver but a pretty good rule is: don't pull out in front of tanks.

That's what happened to an 18-year-old driving this Toyota Yaris in the Lippe district of Germany on Monday.

According to local police she pulled out in front of a column of British military vehicles travelling on a ring road around the town, often used by British forces stationed nearby to transport tanks and other armoured vehicles.

The driver of the tank, a 24-year-old British serviceman, wasn't able to bring his Challenger 2 tank to a stop in time. 

Inevitably, in a battle between 62-tonnes of armour and a one-tonne hatchback, there was only going to be one winner.

Luckily the driver of the car was completely unharmed in the incident, and the tank crew pulled her free.

The car, however, suffered 12,000 euros (

According to local police she pulled out in front of a column of British military vehicles...

Whether you're still learning to drive or not, surely common sense would dictate that you wait for the big tanks to pass before pulling out?

Oh well, I'm glad no one got hurt.

• Like 2

Whether you're still learning to drive or not, surely common sense would dictate that you wait for the big tanks to pass before pulling out?

Oh well, I'm glad no one got hurt.

My 3 year old gets this concept. As we were crossing the street, I had already looked both directions x 3, I forgot to remind her and she stops me and says "Daddy, look boths ways first"! Hopefully that will stay with her throughout her life. Especially if she's driving around tanks.

I am glad that nobody got hurt.

After that ....

- 12000 Euros of damage, this is the price of a Yaris. Let's just say that the car will be replaced.

- I would love to see a picture of the insurance company employee who is going to receive the insurance claim: My car has been totaled after it was hit by a Military tank. Insurance claim of the year candidate.

Never underestimate stupidity.

- I would love to see a picture of the insurance company employee who is going to receive the insurance claim: My car has been totaled after it was hit by a Military tank. Insurance claim of the year candidate.

I imagine it was somewhat similar to the face of the insurance adjuster on hearing that my old car, a Vauxhall Vectra (big car), was written off by a 10mph collision with a Ford Ka (small car), and the Ka -wasn't- written off!

I still don't know how it managed to do that...

Was. Was a nice little car! :p

Now it's garbage!

I meant in general - mine is super-reliable and very fuel-efficient.