Clean install of win 10 after free upgrade?

Once it is upgraded, you can reactivate from an iso as many times you want, login with Microsoft account or not, I have tested with the RTM build and suspect it is the same behavior from upgrades coming next week.

I have tried on on my SP3 which was on the insider program and on another laptop that was on windows 8.1. Once upgraded successfully Microsoft register you HW id and you can reactivate as much as you want from a clean install.

Basically, to start fresh and get rid of garbage.

What garbage are you talking about? You realise when you upgrade it's basically a fresh install these days, has been for ages now. It just moves your personal stuff aside, installs the OS and puts your stuff back (your profile). There really isn't much point in doing a clean install, people are just obsessed with doing it for some reason.

What garbage are you talking about? You realise when you upgrade it's basically a fresh install these days, has been for ages now. It just moves your personal stuff aside, installs the OS and puts your stuff back (your profile). There really isn't much point in doing a clean install, people are just obsessed with doing it for some reason.

Not correct, upgrades keep old registry settings which may no longer be needed and I'm sure other **** so a clean install will always be a better option.

Even with the upgrade you will still get a 'windows.old' at the end of the upgrade process. This can be removed by doing a disk cleanup with admin privlidges to get rid of the previous windows installation.

BUT

It will still have alot of left over code even after that, so at that point he/she can do a clean install and retain activation or just do a system reset and keep nothing, which is basically a fresh install anyway. So for those of you worried bout activation, that would be the way i'd do it. 

Simply update whatever your on now to get the Windows 10 equivalent - then do a system refresh and keep nothing. Reboot, it will do its thing and boot you into a fresh activated Windows 10. Then just run disk cleanup to remove the empty windows.old folder as it can only be done with that program and ure good to go. Process takes all of about 20 mins if that.

well the last few windows OS'es would put your stuff when you upgrade into a windows.old folder. but clean install basically erases your entire drive. people like this because the system files are new and fresh and sometimes upgrades can do funny things even ruin your installation. If this mess is going the route it looks like, MS is going to get a kick in the nuts AGAIN for messing up yet another version of windows. I honestly think Bill gates should get his butt back in MS to straighten out this mess. since he left, it has been one windows failure after another. I just pray MS doesn't turn into the developer of call of duty and continue to throw trash at us. Somethign will happen with windows 10 it appears by my intuition and I hope I'm wrong but, what'll happen to MS if this 10 .iso file issue doesn't materialize, and then people are forced to buy the OS @ $119 for basic or $199 for pro? I might be stuck with windows 8.1. used to be a lot of certainty in the past this close to release but with 10... are we left to guess what'll happen?

so essentially MS lied per se? way back when they announced the release of windows 10 and that it would be "free" as un upgrade from windows 7 and 8/8.1, then they screwed us over by lying. what is actually happening is, there will be an upgrade through the reservation system or store but, no physical copy and license to reinstall should we have to. then we have to plunk down $119 for the basic release on a usb stick. 

My apologies to those who are loyal to MS but, once again MS is BS'ing the consumers. eventually most people will have to do reinstalls for one reason or other, it happens. But now MS has ###### on windows phone users AND Windows 10 PC users unless there is a definitive .iso file to be had that one can install on a usb key with rufus. I'm beginning to think MS hates its customers on some level. They might NOT have out right lied but they sure are misleading us because this close to release day and here we are looking at each other and wondering..

Let the ignorance flow.

so essentially MS lied per se? way back when they announced the release of windows 10 and that it would be "free" as un upgrade from windows 7 and 8/8.1, then they screwed us over by lying. what is actually happening is, there will be an upgrade through the reservation system or store but, no physical copy and license to reinstall should we have to. then we have to plunk down $119 for the basic release on a usb stick. 

My apologies to those who are loyal to MS but, once again MS is BS'ing the consumers. eventually most people will have to do reinstalls for one reason or other, it happens. But now MS has ###### on windows phone users AND Windows 10 PC users unless there is a definitive .iso file to be had that one can install on a usb key with rufus. I'm beginning to think MS hates its customers on some level. They might NOT have out right lied but they sure are misleading us because this close to release day and here we are looking at each other and wondering..

Did you even read the link you replied to? 

Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through Windows Update or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).

The upgrade will store the machine's hardware GUID with MS (if you login with an MSA you can see the machines registered at accounts.microsoft.com). Clean installs will automatically activate against it.

I already have a few VM and Surface activations in my MSA from the insider program.
msid-pc.JPG

That's not a clean install. That  is an upgrade.

Did you even read the link you replied to? 

The upgrade will store the machine's hardware GUID with MS (if you login with an MSA you can see the machines registered at accounts.microsoft.com). Clean installs will automatically activate against it.

I already have a few VM and Surface activations in my MSA from the insider program.
msid-pc.JPG

don't worry I got my ESDtoISO! :D

Compared to an upgrade from Win98SE to XP. It's 98% a clean install, so it's pretty stable, but yeah just reset after.

Associating the motherboard ID or product key with your MSA sounds like a reasonable plan, UNTIL we bring up, what Gabe Aul said in the blog back in June:

Once available on July 29th, you do not need an MSA to upgrade Windows 10 on your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PCs if they are not receiving Insider Preview builds. You will not be required to use an MSA on new PCs that come with Windows 10 preinstalled or clean installed from media. Some features in Windows 10 do require an MSA to use, such as downloading apps in the Windows Store.

So how can something be tied to your MSA or Windows Store, if you presumably are not required to use MSA at all? It just doesn't add up.. 

According to Gabe, you can use your local account, never touch the Windows Store and it still should activate and somehow be later clean-installable. 

Guess we will see in 6 days, how it really works though..

Associating the motherboard ID or product key with your MSA sounds like a reasonable plan, UNTIL we bring up, what Gabe Aul said in the blog back in June:

So how can something be tied to your MSA or Windows Store, if you presumably are not required to use MSA at all? It just doesn't add up.. 

According to Gabe, you can use your local account, never touch the Windows Store and it still should activate and somehow be later clean-installable. 

Guess we will see in 6 days, how it really works though..

The Activation and Hardware GUID pair is stored by MS. Hence why I said *if* the machine is logged in to using an MSA then it would be listed at accounts.microsoft.com. MSA not required for activation.  :)

Oh nose, not putting your profile back... That's not clean enough! I'll have crazy bugs and stuff! Whatever will I do!

Seriously this clean install thing is hyped why to much... 

This would be so simple if not for MS's licensing dept....

Just simply provide an ISO and a WIn10 key once your upgrade eligibility is confirmed. 

But NOoooo! Never come out and say something direct to avoid confusion and speculation.

Keeping things simple would be too easy it seems :rofl:

I guess vague explanations gives them a way out if they change their minds. They can always claim we misunderstood.

Oh nose, not putting your profile back... That's not clean enough! I'll have crazy bugs and stuff! Whatever will I do!

Seriously this clean install thing is hyped why to much... 

WOW! Why do you even care if people clean install? Does it effect your life that much?