Midas Touch Turns Your Apple Watch Gold For Under $100

5a98e04088f29456703bbce4a790b240_origina

Instead of spending over $10,000 on a golden Apple Watch Edition why not use the Midas Touch USB, a DIY kit that uses electrochemistry to plate your boring old steel Apple Watch with 24 karat gold. Unlike the posers who have just painted the watch gold, this process actually chemically binds 24 karat gold to the stainless steel surface. The kit currently requires a stainless steel Apple Watch, but a new process to coat the Sport is in the works.

Chemist Eric Knoll created the kit after hearing about the pricing for the Edition model. His goal was to make a gold version more affordable for the average Apple customer. The project is already fully funded and product will ship soon. While the chemical process is rather complicated, Knoll has broken the procedure down into 3 easy to understand DIY steps.

First, the watch must be cleaned in a special solution to remove all oils and dirt. Although this step involves submerging the watch under water, Knoll assured me that the watch

Unlike the posers who have just painted the watch gold, this process actually chemically binds 24 karat gold to the stainless steel surface.

By definition, wouldn't using this product still make one a poser?

• Like 2

I find anyone with a gold watch of any kind a poser though.. they're so gaudy and don't even look good. a nice dull titanium looks so much better, or brushed steel.

Also known as electroplating. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroplating

Cool tech, started in 1805. Not just used with gold, can use with other metals.

This is slightly different because you don't submerge it though, but same basic technology. 

Wouldn't owning an Apple Watch in itself make one a poser?

• Like 1

ha. i wonder how durable the coating it (likely - not very)

but at this cost,  it makes buying $10000 apple watch completely pointless now, because it will cost you $100

A good article here asking who would actually purchase the Gold watch

Right now with the Apple Watch Edition, the buyer is getting the same internals of the $349 version in a gold case. Where is the collectability in that?

ha. i wonder how durable the coating it (likely - not very)

but at this cost,  it makes buying $10000 apple watch completely pointless now, because it will cost you $100

It does say in the video they provide a chemical to remove the gold so its probably only microns thick and I think would need constant patching