Has anyone ever had hardware go bad by using a house vacuum to clean it?

yea you have to make sure you're using an air based compressor, not oil, because as you said, the oil based ones release an oil vapor that creates a film on surfaces.

Air based ones are great for spraying water on your electronics also, condensation builds up in the tanks. So, those aren't a real good idea unless you know the tank is clean and dry.

Are there any motherboards out that are dishwasher safe?

If you find one, you need to tell me. I have.... science to do.

I use a Dyson to clean my server racks all the time - 15 years never had a problem.

*a Henry before the Dyson :)

Man - I have the DC42 Animal - that think will suck the paint of a tower !

Air based ones are great for spraying water on your electronics also, condensation builds up in the tanks. So, those aren't a real good idea unless you know the tank is clean and dry.

my air based compressors have water filters at the outlet. never had a moisture problem with electronics. but true, it could be risky with unfiltered ones.

datavac works a charm just bring the device outside first.

It blitz's through a dl380 in minutes and they are real dust magnets.

The UK version is difficult to find but it does exist.

I have never heard of this thing before...just bought one.  :rofl:

Those new model Datavacs that are compatible with EU power grids seem like PITA to get and are 50% expensive, and that's without shipping cost. Oh well, good thing my case has most of the holes covered by filters.

As for the topic, I've only used a vacuum around the case and on the front dust filter.

nope never had problem doing it.

I don't use it directly on the hardware tough. I blow air inside the case and then i use a small vacuum to get what did not get expulsed from the case and stayed at the bottom of it.

When I had a job repairing computers during my degree we had special anti-static vacuums. They were pretty expensive though.

I personally use an electric duster thing as already posted. Cost about the same as 10 cans of (decent) compressed air, so well worth it.