Why does Dr. Pepper tastes like bitter almonds?

I tried Dr. Pepper for the first time to see what all the fuss was about, and it tasted exactly like bitter almonds. I took a few sips, and had to throw away the rest. A friend of mine advised me not to buy it and said the same thing. And he was right.

So why is it so famous? Am I the only one who felt that?

Seriously ?  Are you really trying to say that Dr Pepper had cyanide in it ?

:rolleyes:

Im assuming thats what you put it in the conspiracy forum...

Your "friend" - hes not an engineer, doctor, lawyer, or physicist - is he ?

Tell me how/why "he advised you not to buy it" - So how did you drink it if neither of you bought it ?

Furthermore, your "friend" - simply stated he doesnt like it - you dont like it - and you post in Conspiracy forum, and ask if you are the only one ?

Really ?

:|

• Like 2

I've never had cyanide :p and no, I just said it tasted like bitter almond.

Could be like that blue/black or golden/white dress thing. I've binged it, and some people definitely taste bitter almonds.

I dunno -   Well - its nothing but: something that supposedly tastes like prune juice, some caramel syrup, cane sugar, water, and carbonation - If you think it tastes like almonds... then it tastes like almonds

It is popular in the south (started in Texas) - I dont care for it, but will drink it before I will touch anything from Pepsi -
My addiction is Diet Coke.

Which is ironic, considering Pepsi was my father's customer, and Coke was the evil empire...
My father was decent friends with Jim Turner (former DP Pres) - and I wouldnt drink DP in front of him when I was little.. (stubborn dumb kid)

Sorry for being an ass - I just thought since it was in a Conspiracy thread that he was trying to say DP had cyanide in it... (people always say cyanide tastes or smells like almonds)(you dont die immediately....fast... but not immediately)

Sorry for being an ass - I just thought since it was in a Conspiracy thread that he was trying to say DP had cyanide in it... (people always say cyanide tastes or smells like almonds)(you dont die immediately....fast... but not immediately)

not a bad way to go?

I used to study chemistry. During one of the inorganic labs we had to use KCN; thus I know how it smells. It's a very distinctive smell even at very low concentrations. Not an unpleasant smell either - similar to marzipan. Yet quite dissimilar to the smell/taste of Dr Pepper.

Not doubting what you say, but funnily enough drinking Dr.Pepper right now. And it doesn't taste like how you say. Is there maybe a different formula in different parts of the world?

• Like 1

Not doubting what you say, but funnily enough drinking Dr.Pepper right now. And it doesn't taste like how you say. Is there maybe a different formula in different parts of the world?

Well, how something tastes is purely subjective

Sometimes they put pure cane suger in it, but I am not aware of any vast changes for different countries.  It has been almost 10 years since my family got out of the beverage bottling business, so if there are different formulas - its a new idea.

Quite a few flavors though -

post-508501-0-41820700-1433582474.jpg

well America uses crappy corn syrup, everyone else uses real sugar

Also who would name something Dr. Pepper? Who wants to drink peppers\peppers?

not sure how old dr. pepper is, but  it might be because it started as a "medicinal" drink like cola. or just because the maker was a doctor callled Pepper, or both.

not sure how old dr. pepper is, but  it might be because it started as a "medicinal" drink like cola. or just because the maker was a doctor callled Pepper, or both.

When it started, it was supposed to be medicinal - I think they used to say "Take it @ 10:00, 2:00. & 4:00" or something like that.  I dont know where the Pepper part came from - but it wasnt from peppers - now THAT would be the only thing that tastes worse than Pepsi

Yes, for the most part - drinks will have corn syrup - every once in a while they will do a limited production run using pure cane sugar.  The actual process by which Dr Pepper, and Coca-Cola is made is a trade secret - anyone with a spectrum analyzer can break down the ingredients - but that wont tell you the process.  The supposed Coca-Cola secret formula claims to be the best kept corporate secret - known by less than 10 people on the planet...so they say.

Seriously ?  Are you really trying to say that Dr Pepper had cyanide in it ? :rolleyes:

Im assuming thats what you put it in the conspiracy forum...

Your "friend" - hes not an engineer, doctor, lawyer, or physicist - is he ?

Tell me how/why "he advised you not to buy it" - So how did you drink it if neither of you bought it ?

Furthermore, your "friend" - simply stated he doesnt like it - you dont like it - and you post in Conspiracy forum, and ask if you are the only one ?

Really ?

:|

What? No! I was buying it, and he warned me not to as he had had a terrible experience when he tried it. I bought it either way. And we both threw it away after a few sips.

Could be. Though the can I had was imported from US if I am not mistaken.

Or they just sent over a bad batch :laugh:

Ever had amaretto(almond liquor) with coke? Tastes a lot like Dr.Pepper imo

Oh, it's okay. If what you're saying is true, I don't have much time to live anyway. :p

And I put it there because I was shocked how some people could even drink it and like it.

Ever had amaretto(almond liquor) with coke? Tastes a lot like Dr.Pepper imo

Nope. Something tells me I don't wanna try it either :p

FMH - I apologize - me being an ass from the start is due to a few things

I need sleep

My father's company was once in the soft drink bottling business - so I took it the wrong way

Going to sleep - but wanted to apologize again for "assuming" you were nuts, when in actuality you were being sincere.

Yeah. In the 80's DP in the UK was actually kind of Peppery / Cherry and tangy. towards the lat 80's anything good about it was dropped and now it just tastes like any old cherry drink.

Its the prelude to an alien invasion they are contaminating drinks with an almond flavouring to make selected humans addicted then they will harvest them for synthetic chemicals produced in the bloodstream.

I tried it, to me it tasted closer to something somewhat related to cherry-flavored cough syrup rather than almonds, anyway I didn't like it at all.

Its the prelude to an alien invasion they are contaminating drinks with an almond flavouring to make selected humans addicted then they will harvest them for synthetic chemicals produced in the bloodstream.

I KNEW IT !!!