Suggestions for a new 2-in-1 or convertible laptop/tablet with an Intel i5 or i7

Hi.

As the subject indicates, I am looking for feedback/suggestions in regards to a well-made/good-quality 2-in-1 or convertible laptop/tablet, preferably with an Intel i5 or i7 and 8 GB of RAM.  I run a VM sometimes and am one of those that has a tendency to have a ton of tabs open in a browser, like even 60 or more.  I know from experience that 4 GB of RAM is not really enough at times.  6 GB might be sufficient, but 8 GB is probably the way to go.

My primary use of a PC is basic productivity, web surfing, etc.  However, I do rip some movies once in a while, do a bit of image/video editing, and other more intensive tasks.  I do a bit of gaming too, but nothing very demanding, primarily "causual gaming."

I am very much intererested in the Surface Pro 4, but don't know when that is going to be announced or released.  I have seriously considered an HP Spectre x360, but wonder what other good options are out there.  I'll probably take a closer look at a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro, but haven't looked closely at that option yet.  That said, I'm not sold on the Core M processors knowing how I would use the PC at times.  I'm open to something where the screen/tablet detaches from the keyboard, but I'm not sure what I prefer, that scenario or where the screen remains attached, but folds back like the Spectre x360 or the Yoga 3 Pro.

• I do want something well made/high quality that will last a few years, perhaps not as my primary PC, but could always be given to one of my kids or used for other purposes.

• I also prefer something that has ample ports like the Spectre x360, which is probably the only thing that I really thing I dislike about a Suface Pro 3 and might dislike about the Surface Pro 4.

• A good percentage of the time, I would have the PC connected to an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard.  So, I would prefer a good docking station option offered by the manufacturer (which is one reason the Surface Pro 3 or 4 might be better than other options), although I can certainly use something like one of the Plugable universal docking stations.

• Finally, I would prefer something in the $1000-1300, but would consider spending a bit more than that if necessary for the best option out there.

I hope all of that makes sense.  Any suggestions based on research or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-JayZJay

The HP Spectre x360 is a great shout, there are 2 in your price range, though I'd see if you can save another month or so and pay just a little more for the top of the range model, as that has a QuadHD display.

But 2 options in your $1000-1300 price range:

$999 for the i5 http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-spectre-x360---13-4002dx-%28energy-star%29

for $1149 for the i7 http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-spectre-x360---13-4003dx-%28energy-star%29

other than the CPU's they're identical.

Or as I said if you can push the budget or find a discount code:

$1399 get you the Quad HD display along with the i7 and a bump up to a 512GB SSD (other 2 are 256GB) http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-spectre-x360---13-4005dx-%28energy-star%29

My impression is the Quad HD displays are very nice, but not worth it on screens of these sizes.  Plus, the battery life is really impacted.  So, it seems like just going with a 1080p screen is the best compromise.

Fair enough, my sister has a surface pro 3 which is a similar resolution (not quite the same due to aspect ratio), and that does look nicer than 1080p, so I'd say its noticeable, but if not a major issues then the advantage is the 1080p ones are all in your price range.  :)