Cop Under Investigation After Manhandling Pool Party Teen

Let's look at that.

The number of citizen-police contacts per year is about 50 million. Since 1990 between 300-400 a year result in an incident classified by the FBI as a police homicide. Most all are classed justifiable.

Let's take 350 as an easy average. This means that .000007 of police contacts result in a civilians death. Even if you accept the critics guesstimate that this is 1/3 of the actual number that still .000021 of incidents.

Let's also look at the US population. Since 1990 that is up almost 30%, yet the number of police involved deaths remains in that 300-400 range, indicating the per-capita numbee of incidents is down.

What's changed? The 24 hour news cycle and politically motivated "community activists" trying to turn every miscreant, street thug and stupid person who pushes it too far into a hero/martyr/cause c

• Like 2

exactly my point.    most of the problems like that can be solved by talking, and explaining the situation and the consequences.   this kids don't want to be arrested or risk a record.   

they don't think they will get it.    unless you treat them well and make it crystal clear.    not by running around like crazy and shouting

Steve Ballmer would make a great cop.

• Like 1

The rest of the Western world includes Mexico, South and Centra America. You sure you want to make comparisons there? Cops killed 50 in a single incident in Mexico a couple of weeks ago.

I am shocked at how many people don't understand causality. The police have a responsibility of dealing with the current situation. The current situation is dictated by the people participating in the situation. People have the responsibility of any situation and they get to determine if the situation escalates or diminishes. EVEN if the police are NOT doing their job correctly, the person has the ability to diminish the situation by obeying simple commands and then taking up any grievances AFTER the fact. You DO NOT GET to deal with the situation YOUR WAY under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. You will ALWAYS lose the fight if you choose to escalate it. Even if you disagree, comply to make the misunderstanding go as smoothly as possible, and deal with AFTER the fact,. If it gets worse, it most always is your own fault.

Song to rememeber: I fought the law and the law won.

The officer was out of control. Seeing teens talking to one officer who was handling the situation just fine and then that guy just runs up and tells them to get on the ground was crazy, he lost it. Even if he did tell them to sit another officer was talking to them and he didn't have a problem with them getting up to talk to him.

• Like 3

Allowing an immigrant underclass to form the way it is in Europe is the racism, not calling it what it is and saying where it'll lead.

And as far as -ism's go, Europe has more than enough of its own and a history of killing each other over them. The current Pax Europaea is artificial, largely a result of a Cold War induced social stasis that's ending.

Allowing an immigrant underclass to form the way it is in Europe is the racism, not calling it what it is and saying where it'll lead.

And as far as -ism's go, Europe has more than enough of its own and a history of killing each other over them. The current Pax Europaea is artificial, largely a result of a Cold War induced social stasis that's ending.

Immigrant underclass? You mean like my broke Italian grandparents? What about my German side and my great grandpa who was German who was broke and considered an "enemy alien", could not get work, and became so disfranchised he never finished his citizenship? Or do you mean brown people? This is telling. Again, the subject is American police not immigrants. Again, only a racist could take a conversation about police brutality that seems to happen much more often to africans and turn it into a discussion about the "immigrant underclass" when blacks have been here for as long as whites. You don't even know what immigrants your talking about.

• Like 2

Anyone else think that the constant video taping to put on you tube thing just makes the whole situation worse? A cop can't do anything these days with out the thought of it going online it seems. I thought it used to be illegal to video cops with out permission. 

All it takes these days is for someone to video a cop incident, through a small portion of the video on youtube which twists the story and suddenly everyone is screaming about a false story and accusing someone of being racist or something like that. 

I am not defending the cop, he was quite aggressive even when he had the girl pinned to the ground. However again though the full story / video was not what broke out, only a portion. Which for that portion it is easy to suddenly accuse the cop for his actions. Teens need to be held accountable too, to many today have zero respect for the law or cops and I can see why cops are so on edge. Its a two way street, people need to respect the law and officers need to be able to show some restraint 

Immigrant underclass? You mean like my broke Italian grandparents? What about my German side and my great grandpa who was German who was broke and considered an "enemy alien", could not get work, and became so disfranchised he never finished his citizenship? Or do you mean brown people?

>

Or MY Swedish, GERMAN, Lakota & Russian ancestors, who went through their own various kinds of Hell? Quit playing the stupid race card. It's getting tedious.

As to the term underclass and its use; it's a valid socioeconomic term, especially in this context, and you damned well know it.

Not angry, just tired of the nonsense.

If you are going to stereotype all police officers (and you did), be correct.

Here's how their training got started. NOT all are bad however, we are seeing more and more that are bad. I believe some have a great heart but would I put my family's safety on the line on the risk of what you're promoting? -no. sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOJZS6AeejA

Or MY Swedish, GERMAN, Lakota & Russian ancestors, who went through their own various kinds of Hell? Quit playing the stupid race card. It's getting tedious.

As to the term underclass and its use; it's a valid socioeconomic term, especially in this context, and you damned well know it.

Again, immigrants have nothing to do with the topic at hand. This is xenophobia at its finest. Your blaming immigrants for the ultra-violent actions of police. How much more ridiculous does it get?

You're the one who mentions your ancestry, I just followed your lead. As to xenophobia - don't be silly. The problem is mostly caused by not properly integrating immigrants, which is an acknowledged problem in Europe. Antisemitism/Roma/Muslim etc. You name it.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.fes.de/cgi-bin/gbv.cgi%3Fid%3D07908%26ty%3Dpdf&sa=U&ei=bVJ2VcS5FsH3oASpz4DIDw&ved=0CCAQFjAA&sig2=5DOcgBv_YBeo5v1svz4d_A&usg=AFQjCNENZPAphWO_QrogFNVfM8unF8gasA

https://www.opendemocracy.net/benjamin-ward/divided-we-fall-intolerance-in-europe-puts-rights-at-risk

Anyone else think that the constant video taping to put on you tube thing just makes the whole situation worse? A cop can't do anything these days with out the thought of it going online it seems. I thought it used to be illegal to video cops with out permission. 

All it takes these days is for someone to video a cop incident, through a small portion of the video on youtube which twists the story and suddenly everyone is screaming about a false story and accusing someone of being racist or something like that. 

I am not defending the cop, he was quite aggressive even when he had the girl pinned to the ground. However again though the full story / video was not what broke out, only a portion. Which for that portion it is easy to suddenly accuse the cop for his actions. Teens need to be held accountable too, to many today have zero respect for the law or cops and I can see why cops are so on edge. Its a two way street, people need to respect the law and officers need to be able to show some restraint 

If it weren't for video, Officer Slager who shot and killed Walter Scott in South Carolina, wouldn't be currently under indictment for murder. The tried and true statement of "fearing for his life" would've washed and he'd be currently back out on patrol, possibly to engage in another similar incident.

But, you're right. People need to respect each other, period. It shouldn't matter if they're in uniform, or civilian clothes. This would go a long way to easing tensions between, not only law enforcement and the citizenry, but people as a whole.

Instead of using firearms, why not use the taser gun? They are not fighting with violent criminals. They are just a bunch of teens.

The one thing I would like to address in what you said is to say "they are just a bunch of teens" trivializes the fact that unfortunately teens are usually the age group capable of the most senseless acts of violence.

I am sure you have heard of "the knockout game," and if you have, you will no doubt know that those random acts of senseless violence are almost always carried out by "just a bunch of teens."

Also teens, because they are younger, are more likely to be the ones getting initiated into gangs, so the are capable of very horrific things.

Then truth be told, teens are just known for doing stupid things, well, because they are teens.

Now perhaps it is because I live in New Jersey, but I actually view teens as the age group that is MOST cable of senseless violence. I actually am much more on edge if there is a group of teens than if it is a group of twenty somethings. 

Teens simply just do not know better and also are out to prove themselves.

Almost all of the random acts of violence that are carried out in the Tri-State Area are in fact conducted by teens.

This entire situation no doubt escalated into something more than it needed to be because of the unprofessionalism and overall poor attitude of the police officer, however teens are not to be taken lightly. In fact I would make the argument they are more dangerous than any other age group simply because they do not know any better because of their lack of life experience.

The problem is mostly caused by not properly integrating immigrants, which is an acknowledged problem in Europe. 

Erm, aren't white Europeans Immigrants in the US?

• Like 2

I don't see anything wrong on the officer's part. Sorry.

The cops fellow officers on-scene, as well as his captain, all disagree with you.

Hey Doc, guess what? Immigrants got America to the moon.  Damn those Germans, huh? :p

I've met a lot of African Americans, Mexicans, Asians, and Americans who lack respect. 

Meaning no disrespect, and absolutely NOT insinuating in any way that this applies to you, but.  I think your statement above is endemic to why the USA has so many race issues.

If I'd been writing that statement about the UK, I'd have written "I've met a lot of people who lack respect".

Maybe it's just me, but I think the way many American's differentiate your own and others historical ancestries is a big part of the problem.  They're not Irish American, or Italian American, or Poles or African American or Native American or what have you. They're... Americans!

• Like 3

Um... Don't have a diverse population?  Have you BEEN to the UK at all in the last 50 years?  We've got folks from just about everywhere you can think of living here. The only time anyone tries to distinguish a particular group is when they're trying NOT to integrate and want to accentuate racial differences. This is not generally a good thing. We're all English, be it natural or immigrant.

And why not compare the US to the UK? After all, many of you are English Americans... :p

• Like 2

The cops fellow officers on-scene, as well as his captain, all disagree with you.

Keyword: "i". They can't contradict with what I feel. They may feel different about it, but they can not say how I perceive the situation.