Best ebook reader &store

Question

I bought a new surface for use as an ebook reader and office companion.

I tried Amazon Kindle but not thrilled the Windows 8 version sucks compared to the Android version and drms all the books. I installed Nook now and want an opinion if I should bother with the Nook store and if it is drm free enough and cloud ready to use on other apps?

I ask as I am about to spend hundreds of dollars in certification books and do not want to get locked in.

4 answers to this question

I would imagine Barnes & Noble protects the intellectual property that they sell as much as Amazon does. Wiley did go DRM-free a few years ago, as did O'Reilly.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2012/11/15/wiley-goes-drm-free-titles-to-be-sold-through-oreilly/

Anyway, since you can open the eBooks you buy from Amazon in any web browser, I don't really see what the issue is. At least you don't have to use Adobe Digital Editions like other eBook retailers make you do.

(Of course there are ways to remove the DRM from eBooks, but that is not to be discussed here.)

I would imagine Barnes & Noble protects the intellectual property that they sell as much as Amazon does. Wiley did go DRM-free a few years ago, as did O'Reilly.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2012/11/15/wiley-goes-drm-free-titles-to-be-sold-through-oreilly/

Anyway, since you can open the eBooks you buy from Amazon in any web browser, I don't really see what the issue is. At least you don't have to use Adobe Digital Editions like other eBook retailers make you do.

(Of course there are ways to remove the DRM from eBooks, but that is not to be discussed here.)

It is an issue if Amazon stops supporting 8 and with drm locked out. Drm is anti consumer and have no intention to upload my books. I just like my freedom of not being locked in.

Unfortunately I have not found any apps for Windows which give the same experience as Android or iOS. It is a damn shame. I wish we had something similar to iBooks which I love as it renders ePub's so beautifully.

I too dislike Amazon because of their horrible DRM. My first experiences with eReaders were Kindle's but then I switched to a Kobo reader and I am so much happier. Would love a great Kobo app for Windows, hopefully with Windows 10 :yes:

I bought a new surface for use as an ebook reader and office companion.

I tried Amazon Kindle but not thrilled the Windows 8 version sucks compared to the Android version and drms all the books. I installed Nook now and want an opinion if I should bother with the Nook store and if it is drm free enough and cloud ready to use on other apps?

I ask as I am about to spend hundreds of dollars in certification books and do not want to get locked in.

Try Tucan Reader. Available in the Windows store.