OS X 10.11 'El Capitan' preview thread

The snap functionality is pretty broken right now. It's weird to activate, you have to long press on the fullscreen/zoom button, and as soon as you do anything within the app, it goes fullscreen.

Split View doesn't seem to be part of the first build, unless I'm doing something wrong.

It is there. Although I think it is a bit more complicated than what it should be. Almost a hidden feature if you didn't know it was there.

You create a new Space (or just maximize an app you want to split screen). Then take another app window and drag & drop it into the same space:

post-23147-0-36759100-1433877692.png

That's two Safari windows open. Below is a Safari window and a Word document:

post-23147-0-44377000-1433877567.png

Definitely needs some refinements IMO

can someone tell me why Apple doesnt move on to OS 11? OS XI?

Two reasons, I think:

a) More technical... Darwin is still being used as the underlying kernel. And most of the architecture is the same as it was back in 2001, things like Darwin + Quartz/QuickTime + Carbon/Cocoa, etc. I think most of these would have to change to warrant a major version number changing.

b) Brand name recognition... OS X has become a platform, a brand name. It's Mac OS + NeXTstep, I suppose. I think realistically, the leading "10" could be dropped at this point, and just call it OS X 11.

OS X is the brand. It's the same as asking why Microsoft haven't moved on to Microsoft Door or Microsoft Indoor Potted Plant. 

Hiding the menu bar seems completely pointless, since you don't gain any more screen real estate.

post-119000-0-47735600-1433886762.png

Compare this to hiding the Dock, where you can actually make use of the screen real estate when it's hidden, the Dock simply pops up above your content. Hiding the menu bar should let you do the exact same thing, otherwise, hiding gives you nothing, while introducing a delay in accessing the menu.

Once the public beta arrives in July, you'll be able to. And by then, it will likely be the second or third beta that developers get.

This. It is worth waiting the month for the public betas. As delicious as all the features look, remember folks: this is ultimately for developers to get their apps ready.

Why doesn't Microsoft move on to calling Windows something different?

"OS X" is the name of the operating system -- and even though Apple themselves say it is OS "Ten", I don't know anyone who calls it that. Everyone I know calls it OS "ex" just like everyone I know calls it "Gif" not 'jif".

Pinning tabs in Safari is causing a lot of weird graphical glitches right now. But otherwise, it works pretty well.

Is Terminal transparency a new thing? I don't remember it before. You can also have different transparency levels for active and inactive windows.

I'm sure they will after they rewrite the OS from the ground up. Personally I think they should do it very soon to give them an edge. They should use either Linux or FreeBSD for the kernel and BTRFS or EXT4 or XFS as the filesystem. Sadly, I don't think it will ever happen. :(

I'm wrong! Finally Apple! This will basic addition will really improve workflow on OS X. :)

Watch from 2:14:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBGQd_C6jr8

Apple could announce they changed the text on a button and the crowd would still cheer.

I'm sure they will after they rewrite the OS from the ground up. Personally I think they should do it very soon to give them an edge. They should use either Linux or FreeBSD for the kernel and BTRFS or EXT4 or XFS as the filesystem. Sadly, I don't think it will ever happen. :(

Isn't Darwin already based on FreeBSD?

Apple could announce they changed the text on a button and the crowd would still cheer.

They actually did this last year, when they mentioned the switch to Helvetica Neue. This year, they didn't mention that both X.11 and iOS 9 are using San Francisco.

Just noticed on context menus, you'll see a checkbox now when you click on something. Like try it with "Refresh Page."

Let's be fair. The cheering is mainly coming from the front rows, and those are Apple employees :rofl:

• El Capitan has a new throbber (aka the old "beach ball.") I don't know how to screenshot it, but it looks a lot smoother than before, as if the beach ball was "blended" or something like that.
  • Chess now uses Game Center, and has achievements. (This may not be new but I don't remember it at all in Yosemite). However, it still has the Leopard-era glossy black background (and the graphics are still pretty dated).

• El Capitan has a new throbber (aka the old "beach ball.") I don't know how to screenshot it, but it looks a lot smoother than before, as if the beach ball was "blended" or something like that.

post-447111-0-98431600-1433898993.jpg

Stolen from here.

Am I the only one here who doesn't care about streaming music? Maybe I'm just old and stuck in my ways but I don't see the reason why renting music is better than simply maintaining a library on my Drobo device.

That being said, just watching the sessions and the under the hood changes are pretty impressive - I'd hazard to guess that long term CoreStorage will eventually replace HFS+ 'core' meaning it'll be 'CoreStorage' with a HFS+ personality for the sake of compatibility in much the same way that Microsoft is doing with ReFS where it keeps the NTFS personality on top but the under the hood guts are upgraded in a piece meal way to avoid major disruptions.

Am I the only one here who doesn't care about streaming music? Maybe I'm just old and stuck in my ways but I don't see the reason why renting music is better than simply maintaining a library on my Drobo device.

That being said, just watching the sessions and the under the hood changes are pretty impressive - I'd hazard to guess that long term CoreStorage will eventually replace HFS+ 'core' meaning it'll be 'CoreStorage' with a HFS+ personality for the sake of compatibility in much the same way that Microsoft is doing with ReFS where it keeps the NTFS personality on top but the under the hood guts are upgraded in a piece meal way to avoid major disruptions.

Personally I stopped buying music completely (I never was a big spender on music but I'd say around $30-75/yr). Now all I use is Songza, I love not having to build my own library, I kinda always hated having to find new music that I liked then buy it etc

Installed it on my development Mac Mini and it appears broken. Frequent crashes to the login screen and other problems. Pretty much unusable. I will go back to Yosemite until the next round.

Installed it on my development Mac Mini and it appears broken. Frequent crashes to the login screen and other problems. Pretty much unusable. I will go back to Yosemite until the next round.

Strange, what hardware is inside your Mac mini? I'm using a late 2011 iMac and so far, El Capitan has been surprisingly stable for me. Most of the issues I'm encountering are graphical and related to Safari.

Oh, neat, you can customize Safari's Reader mode now. You can change the colors (white, sepia, gray, and black), in addition to font size and font style (default is Georgia, other choices include San Francisco, Palatino, etc.)

Anyhow, I hope Metal improves the Retina MBP sluggishness sometimes with normal desktop apps.

I doubt it, it'll only kinda help QuartzGL, and basically nothing uses that (I think Safari might, I know Mozilla tried using it for Firefox but it was too buggy). Apple still don't consider it stable enough for general use, was introduced in 10.4, still not enabled in 10.10.

Vulkan support would be better, but it's not like Apple can just kill off Metal after a single release.

That's never going to happen. Mach is a fine kernel that does everything they need, the issues are in layers above the kernel (And half the time it seems like Apple introduced the issues on purpose). I wouldn't mind seeing btrfs support, but Apple being Apple, will be using hfs+ until 64bit UNIX time overflows.

Well, this sucks:

I'm glad they did this. It will finally force developers to use the newer version. It was annoying having to install Apple and Oracle versions because some devs used the new one, and some were too lazy to update their software.