OS X 10.11 'El Capitan' preview thread

ScreenShot2015-06-08at22.00.31.png

Overview of the next version of OS X: https://www.apple.com/osx/elcapitan-preview/

Going by what Apple announced during the WWDC keynote, El Capitan is focusing on performance and polish of the system rather than adding a ton of new features. Similar to OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. In my opinion this is a good thing.

Like several others of you I'm in the process of downloading and installing it as I type this. Use this thread to discuss the OS X 10.11 El Capitan beta; post your findings in terms of improvements, bugs, features, you name it.

San Francisco now the new system typeface for OS X, iOS and watchOS. It's pretty similar to Helvetica Neue, but you can notice a few differences with the numerals.

Be curious to see the new Disk Utility and crayon picker.

Strange, they keep messing with the crayon picker. Disk Utility doesn't seem that different, either.

I think I'm going to go ahead and just install El Capitan straight on my iMac, as opposed to an external drive. I've got my MacBook Pro with a stable OS install, and the Yosemite betas from last year never gave me any troubles.

Also, completely off-topic, but I just realized something: we've got "iOS" and "watchOS" now... Perhaps OS X could be renamed back to "macOS?"

and download it without being developer? :woot:

Once the public beta arrives in July, you'll be able to. And by then, it will likely be the second or third beta that developers get.

I am so excited for Split View. I know it seems simple, but ever since the Windows 7 days, it is just so convenient to easily move to windows side by side and now it has finally made it into OS X. I haven't missed much from my Windows days, but that was definitely one thing.

Also, really like the new Disk Utility!

Split View doesn't seem to be part of the first build, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Well, this sucks:

Not surprising though, Microsoft have had long enough to finally get their act together and upgrade from Java 6 to Java 7. Deep down inside I'd love to see Microsoft make .NET available on OS X and Linux then move Minecraft to the .NET Framework if for no other reason that we (as end users) won't need to touch Java any more.

Nice to see the Disk Utility UI has been refreshed. 

Do you happen to have Parallels installed, and if so, does it work properly? Back when I installed the Yosemite beta Parallels stopped working, which was a problem for me, and I'd like to try this out. 

I have VMware Fusion 7.1.1 installed. Which kind of, sort of works:

ScreenShot2015-06-09at00.13.08.png

Graphical glitches, and it took > 30 seconds for the VM to even start booting.

As it turns out you can start Minecraft after all. With the Java 8 runtime from http://java.oracle.com installed, you can launch the MC launcher with 

java -d64 -jar /Applications/Minecraft.app/Contents/Resources/Java/Bootstrap.jar

- and voila. 

I gotta admit, I was a little bit disappoint that we weren't getting notification mirroring from iOS. PushBullet is a bit unreliable in this regard (for me), and official support would have been pretty nice to see.

That being said, I'm never going to complain about performance enhancements :)

As it turns out you can start Minecraft after all. With the Java 8 runtime from http://java.oracle.com installed, you can launch the MC launcher with 

java -d64 -jar /Applications/Minecraft.app/Contents/Resources/Java/Bootstrap.jar

- and voila. 

Was about to reply to your previous post with a similar solution for how I run it currently on Yosemite. Glad to know it's still working for the current preview :)

<snipped>

Yep, the option is new. The menu bar will now hide on standard desktop windows just like it does with fullscreen apps.

Interesting. But it seems that, combined with Dock hiding, could get very annoying. I'll have to try it.

Not surprising though, Microsoft have had long enough to finally get their act together and upgrade from Java 6 to Java 7. Deep down inside I'd love to see Microsoft make .NET available on OS X and Linux then move Minecraft to the .NET Framework if for no other reason that we (as end users) won't need to touch Java any more.

Ehh, party Oracle, partly Mojang. Oracle still haven't provided a proper Java runtime release for OS X, and Mojang still haven't updated Minecraft to call the newer Java release if it's installed.

Running bare JAR files works, using the app launcher fails.