iOS 9 Beta 1

Just curious to see who all of the Neowin's iPhone brave men and women club installed this? I installed last night..

Bugs So Far,
When setting up the phone and the restore from backup, it kept going to the select WiFi screen when I would select my backup. I was already on WiFi. The only way I could get it to restore my backup from iCloud is if I choose another Wifi, hit back, choose mine again, hit restore from iCloud. 

Digitally Imported Won't Open

Bank App won't open

The app switcher looks pretty neat and useful.. Anyone else have any experiences?

i installed it ASAP. 

Bug so far

Once it did shutdown dont know why but have not had this happen since. On a reboot the startup is very slow.

a couple of games will not work. 

Over all no issues. Going to test out low power mode today, long day out and about. Enjoying Notes.

Is "News" not included in B1? I installed it on my iPod touch and don't see it. But there is nothing in the release notes about it.

I installed it. So far I haven't encountered any real bugs, but the performance is a bit impaired as is to be expected on a beta (likely has debug symbols on). Watch OS 2 Beta 1 was far more buggy for me. It originally wouldn't recognize my calendar or any almost anything from the phone, including attempting to setup Apple Pay. But so far it seems to be working a bit better now.

I will say, I am happy about where this release is going even though it is primarily a performance and stabilization release. For instance, I am happy they finally made the keys on the keyboard reflect the shift state. I also like the new app switcher. Looks like a good release for when I upgrade to the iPhone 6S this fall.

I installed it. So far I haven't encountered any real bugs, but the performance is a bit impaired as is to be expected on a beta (likely has debug symbols on). Watch OS 2 Beta 1 was far more buggy for me. It originally wouldn't recognize my calendar or any almost anything from the phone, including attempting to setup Apple Pay. But so far it seems to be working a bit better now.

I will say, I am happy about where this release is going even though it is primarily a performance and stabilization release. For instance, I am happy they finally made the keys on the keyboard reflect the shift state. I also like the new app switcher. Looks like a good release for when I upgrade to the iPhone 6S this fall.

Only thing I miss on the app switcher is that the 8x releases put contact bubbles at the top, so you had a quick way to call someone. This was very similar to the direct dial widgets you could have on Android. These are now lost (so far) with 9x. I'm hoping they return.

The app switcher look also reminds me of the "cards" being used on Android, as well as the ones from the earliest Palm Pre/webOS releases.

Only thing I miss on the app switcher is that the 8x releases put contact bubbles at the top, so you had a quick way to call someone. This was very similar to the direct dial widgets you could have on Android. These are now lost (so far) with 9x. I'm hoping they return.

The app switcher look also reminds me of the "cards" being used on Android, as well as the ones from the earliest Palm Pre/webOS releases.

Agreed I hope those quick access bubbles retureturn as well. They were very handy.

Agreed I hope those quick access bubbles retureturn as well. They were very handy.

It seems they have been moved to the new Spotlight screen (which was also once in iOS 3), as part of their Proactive Assistant (or answer to Google Now). It's still less convenient, because you specifically have to swipe all the way to the left, whereas before, you could just double-click anywhere and get to them.

Right now, I'm having huge issues with my battery draining.. Also, my phone still says "Restoring from iCloud" on the lock screen since I've installed iOS 9.. 

I find that a couple of apps are unresponsive for a couple of seconds then it all works fine. No crashes or anything yet, same with Watch OS 2. Pretty stable, I did lose contact pics on that though for some reason.

I've thought about installing this but I'm afraid I might brick my phones. I'd rather not owe my job $800 for the iPhone 6+ =/

Can anyone post screenshots?

You cant brick your phone, and the updates are always smooth. 

There is a YouTube of it in action.

I've thought about installing this but I'm afraid I might brick my phones. I'd rather not owe my job $800 for the iPhone 6+ =/

Can anyone post screenshots?

post-61856-0-18356000-1433940432.pngpost-61856-0-67568900-1433940435.pngpost-61856-0-79646000-1433940436.pngpost-61856-0-78399000-1433940438.pngpost-61856-0-93219500-1433940440.pngpost-61856-0-70527100-1433940443.png

You cant brick your phone, and the updates are always smooth. 

There is a YouTube of it in action.

Apple did mention on the Dev Center that you can't downgrade from iOS 9 to iOS 8 on devices that have installed the BETA. So even though the upgrade goes smoothly it might be a good idea to wait on a work device. Some apps needed for work may not be compatible and lead to issues.

Apple did mention on the Dev Center that you can't downgrade from iOS 9 to iOS 8 on devices that have installed the BETA. So even though the upgrade goes smoothly it might be a good idea to wait on a work device. Some apps needed for work may not be compatible and lead to issues.

Are you 100% sure on this? 

Seems like you can restore from DFU mode..

http://www.iclarified.com/49711/how-to-downgrade-from-ios-9-beta-to-ios-8

Oh my lord! So shiny! Too bad I'm going to Android. I'm divorcing Apple. The inability to build custom apps drives me nuts.

Build Custom apps? XCode is free, Swift 2.0 is now free\Open Source.. Seems like they give you all the tools you need. Like with Android\Eclipse.. 

Are you 100% sure on this? 

Seems like you can restore from DFU mode..

http://www.iclarified.com/49711/how-to-downgrade-from-ios-9-beta-to-ios-8

I haven't tried downgrading. Just mentioning the message I saw posted to the Developer Download page when I downloaded it. Possibly Apple is citing firmware or other changes that can cause issues on a downgrade? Make of it what you will.

https://liberty.thinkist.net/owncloud/index.php/s/rjbL3UEMLUzEYBu?path=%2FScreenshots#/Screenshots/iOS%209%20Beta%20Warning.PNG

Build Custom apps? XCode is free, Swift 2.0 is now free\Open Source.. Seems like they give you all the tools you need. Like with Android\Eclipse.. 

I didn't know of these programs. I thought XCode was only for Apple computers?

I didn't know of these programs. I thought XCode was only for Apple computers?

XCode is only for apple computers.. You can download a VHD that will work in VMWare.. You can also code for iOS in Visual Studio.. You can also code for 100% free using Swift and Linux. 

Have they redone the UI in the Music app?

Yes, they showed it off in the keynote. Up Next support is in, the Now Playing screen looks similar to Google Play Music, instead of artists/albums/songs you have a new "My Music" tab that can then be sorted via albums, artists, or songs. Check on the iOS 9 site, I think they show some of the UI in detail.

any major apps like music have a new gui ?

Yes, they showed it off in the keynote. Up Next support is in, the Now Playing screen looks similar to Google Play Music, instead of artists/albums/songs you have a new "My Music" tab that can then be sorted via albums, artists, or songs. Check on the iOS 9 site, I think they show some of the UI in detail.