If you were to buy a new computer , What would it be?

I think I will ask everyone's opinion. I think I might buy a new computer soon. I can use Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7. 

Your comments are appreciated!! 

Thanks,

Cross

I bought a pre-built Asus machine a couple months ago.  My previous computer was bought as a kit from Tiger Direct which I built myself.  Came as a barebone kit I then picked the video card, hard drive, cpu fan, etc.  It ran solid for 7 years, but the case fan broke and there was a couple blown caps on the mobo.    

I was tempted to go with custom built again, but I was able to get a futureshop card, and setup a 12 month payment plan.  Got an i7, 16gb ram, dedicated video card, 2tb hdd machine for 900$ (1200$ after taxes + warranty so for 100$ a month, I got a pretty solid machine). 

Typically when I build one I go big or go home. I did that back in 2008 when I built my my i7 system.

Back then I build an i7 920 with 6GB of ram. I still use that system 7 /1/2 years later

So today would go with a minimum of 16 GB of ram .. and probably the fastest i7 I could get for $300 - $400 and the fastest graphics card I could get for $400.

Solid state Boot drive (Duh) and some spinning hard drives for storage.

• Like 1

First: Budget?

Second: Use?

Third: Skills in making a PC?

If you can, custom is the way to go because of the value for money.

Always select the best motherboard with a new chipset you can find and build from there so you can easily upgrade your components later on for quite a long lifespan.

Typically when I build one I go big or go home. I did that back in 2008 when I built my my i7 system.

Back then I build an i7 920 with 6GB of ram. I still use that system 7 /1/2 years later

So today would go with a minimum of 16 GB of ram .. and probably the fastest i7 I could get for $300 - $400 and the fastest graphics card I could get for $400.

Solid state Boot drive (Duh) and some spinning hard drives for storage.

Exact same here, now running Xeon X5690s with 24GB of RAM and they still rock as gaming machines.

What kind of form factor do you want? PC, laptop, tablet, 2-in-1?

What's your budget? What do you want to do with the machine?

We can't help you without knowing the essential details.

Digital Storm Bolt 3. I have a Bolt 1 with completely replaced innards. Unfortunately they won't sell the case only.

http://www.maximumpc.com/digital-storms-bolt-3-bears-all-edge--edge-glass-side-panel-2015/

<Moved to Hardware hangout>

I bought a Lenovo Flex 2 for 800CHF just three weeks ago. I planned on using it as an interim until I can afford a better machine, but it's pretty awesome for my needs.

We may need a bit more information to better help you. What are you looking for? What will you use the machine for? Whats your budget?

Since the thread is "buying a new computer' I will rule out building

1.) LAPTOP - Carbon X1 or MacBook Pro

2.) GAMING MACHINE - Orion PC, or Digital Storm

Dont know if this helps you  - but I answered your question. :/

BUT if building a dream machine, I'd start w/ something like this:

post-508501-0-77545200-1433862069.jpg

• Like 1

I'll go with building one over buying anyday

There are near limitless options available to you, and almost every one will be cheaper than buying a prebuilt one

AMD will be cheaper initially to build

Intel will perform better

(admittedly this particular argument is lost on me as real time use differences are negligible in my humble opinion, but I do concede the AMD build requires more power overall from the psu, and tend to run hotter)

I keep looking at that Murderbox case thinking - "I sure would like to have that ....hmmm"

But I know I could never get the inside that clean looking

A custom ordered digitalstorm bolt 3 or apollo for desktop

either hp omen 15 or msi gs70 stealth or Alienware m17x for gaming laptop

either lenovo thinkpad t-series or dell xps 13 (2015 edition) or hp envy spectre for normal use laptop

If I had the option to build a desktop I would have these specs of insanity:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tBypYJ

My new one from this year is a

Intel Core i7-4765T

ASRock Z97E/ITX

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Transcend 256GB M.2 SSD TS256GMTS400

SilverStone SST-RVZ01B 

SilverStone NT06-PRO

SilverStone SX500-LG

I switched the Broadcom AC card to an Intel 7260AC. I also used IC Diamond thermal paste, and I'm waiting on a good time to get a Palit GeForce GTX 750 Ti KalmX.

The entire thing will have one fan in the power supply, and the rest will be passively cooled.