Use your Xbox One gamepad wirelessly with your PC this fall

I thought the same until I forced myself to use X1's and I would never go back to 360. Dem feels is so much better.

I've used the X1 controller since X1 launched too. Wouldn't hesitate to pick the 360 controller if given the choice :p

What an odd and totally out of place reply :/

Looks like you missed the post directly above mine. Thanks though.

Looks like you missed the post directly above mine. Thanks though.

.. what, this one?

It's sadly probably true lol :p

:s

I honestly don't mind the wire.  My One and PC are in close proximity anyway so I can't imagine wireless to the PC not being annoying.

That said, complaining about the Windows 10 requirement is like....seriously, you're complaining about a requirement for a massive free upgrade...you can keep your old controllers, heh.

So... What does the XB1 controller bring to the PC that the 360 controller hasn't already done for less than half the price?

Let's hope better drivers. That would be more than welcome. Would be cool if the drivers would provide a battery level indicator. Would be cool if the drivers would let us close the controller. Also mouse emulation and keys mapping support (

Let's hope better drivers. That would be more than welcome. Would be cool if the drivers would provide a battery level indicator. Would be cool if the drivers would let us close the controller. Also mouse emulation and keys mapping support (

So... What does the XB1 controller bring to the PC that the 360 controller hasn't already done for less than half the price?

I'm not the person to hunt down the list, but it's improved in a lot of small ways.

If you're in the market for a new controller, might as well be the better one.  If you've already got a decent 360 controller keep it going IMO.

Close the controller!? Do you mean, turn it off?

Yeah. The 360 drivers don't let you do that. You need a 3rd party apps like Xbox 360 Controller Manager or Controller Companion on Steam to turn it off.

The reason why you want to be able to turn it off is some games go into controller mode if the controller is on. Let's say you play Rogue Legacy with the controller. Then you stop to play Metro 2033. The controller will still stay on for about 15 minutes. When the controller is on Metro 2033 enters automatically in controller mode and you can see some controller button images over the ui to tell you which button to press on the controller. Not the end of the world but i prefer not to have those over my ui when i play my games with the mouse.

The Xbox360 controller for Windows are has a well-known limitation, namely you can't turn it off with the GUIDE button, except in Games for Windows Live games. This software solves that problem. Just start it, and it will detect when the GUIDE button is pressed, allowing you to turn off the controller with its action buttons from the opening dialog box.

This software should be set as a startup entry, so it will watch always. Up to 4 controllers are supported.

http://pety.me/XboxExt/

http://controllercompanion.com/

Oh, cool. Thanks for that.  I'd gotten used to just popping the battery cover open for a second... :p

lol that's what i did before using this app.

btw if you plan to use this app it doesn't need to be running all the time the app has command line support and you can make a batch script to turn the controller off and put the script on the desktop.

Controller Companion on Steam looks really good. I already have xpadder but i might buy this.

I agree that the Steam Controller is currently overpriced, though it's still a lot cheaper than this. It is also beyond dispute that it has been delayed and I can understand people being annoyed at that. However, it wasn't arbitrarily delayed on one platform like the XB1 wireless controller was.

The reason I'm annoyed is that I have a couple of X360 wireless controllers and was hoping to upgrade, as one of them is starting to fail (the D-pad is dodgy). I was hoping to upgrade to the XB1 controllers, as they seem ideal, but couldn't. Microsoft would have had my sales yet it's desire to protect the Xbox ecosystem at the expense of the PC means I'll probably get the Steam Controller (depending on reviews).

I meant the wireless adapter is over priced. I think the price for the steam controller is fair. its $10 cheaper then console controllers and its built better, its more precise (from reviews) and has better implementation on PC than any other controller, which took effort. Also those buttons on the back have been something console gamers have asked for since competitive FPS's became a thing. Right now you have to pay $120+ for a custom controller with 2 back buttons, the way steam did it, I know I'm going to instantly love those back buttons.

I meant the wireless adapter is over priced. I think the price for the steam controller is fair. its $10 cheaper then console controllers and its built better, its more precise (from reviews) and has better implementation on PC than any other controller, which took effort. Also those buttons on the back have been something console gamers have asked for since competitive FPS's became a thing. Right now you have to pay $120+ for a custom controller with 2 back buttons, the way steam did it, I know I'm going to instantly love those back buttons.

Ah, okay. I don't know where you live but in the UK the price is

Pricing is no different than anyone else would charge for a dongle.

Only supporting Windows 10 is stupid though. You probably have to put more work into artificially blocking Windows 7/8 than you do allowing a dongles drivers to just work.

No doubt the drivers will be modded to support Windows 7/8 anyway.

Microsoft created the wifi protocol the XB1 controller is using. Perhaps there's something up with that that requires something present in 10 but not 8. Just giving them the benefit of the doubt, plus, it's marketing. I'm just glad there's a USB stick this time around and not the corded dongle. Would like it to be nano, but that's nitpicky.

$80 for one controller and the dongle is a bit pricy.  For two controllers on the PC (probably not a frequent scenario) is going to run about $130. I'm still buying one but $80 is steep. The dongle is $30??