Reddit bans 'Fat People Hate' and other subreddits under new harassment rules

But luckily, Gamergate is just a laughing stock, and they don't get their way.

Aww, too bad that isn't based on facts. Considering all the sites they complained about made or adjusted their disclosure policy one way or another, typically in a way Gamergate suggested that benefited the community.

• Like 2

Oh, I respect your opinion. I don't think fat people should be told we're beautiful, at all. Ever.  I don't think we should be told to accept how we are.  I think we should be told that being that way is really really bad for us. However, I also expect us to be encouraged to do something about it, and treated with a little consideration instead of ridicule or harsh treatment. That just pushes us back to the pies.

Yeah, I can agree with you there.

I think people have just become jaded.  These are some of the points that bother the hell out of me.

• Friends ask for help, but cheat on diet AND lie about it wasting my time
  • Friends ask for help, outsider shames me for giving my friend advice or helping them adjust their diet (suddenly I'm the bad guy who shouldn't be telling them what to eat)
  • Outsiders egging friend on while they pile junk food in front of them (Oh don't listen to them, eat your pizza!)

It's very very easy to become so very frustrated with this.

As for "Fat People Hate", I didn't mind people there shaming those who are posting on social media. That much you will absolutely get what you have coming to you.

What I don't agree with is taking pictures of people out of context to shame them. That's just distasteful and unnecessary. Life's too short to go looking for things to complain about. Again, only when someone wants to throw ignorance in my face is when I feel it acceptable to bite back. /shrug

• Like 2

One thing that's important to remember is, diets do not work. This is a proven and accepted fact in the world of obesity study.

I'll say it again.  Diets do not work.

You might lose something initially, but then you'll just put it back on again, and probably gain even more.

For obese people, the -only- thing that works is a complete change in their relationship with food.  It's a lifestyle change, and must be -forever-, otherwise they'll just return to their former obesity. If they can get through the needed lifestyle changes, and this is where support is usually needed, they'll lose the dangerous excess weight, and keep it off.

I'm on an NHS programme right now, started a week ago. I've already lost 2 kilos, just by doing nothing more than putting my knife & fork down between bites.  This slows down your eating and gives your brain a chance to catch up with your body and lets it realise you're full -before- you've stuffed yourself to the gills.  That's what the programme is all about. It's not a diet, it's about changing how you do things.

• Like 3

One thing that's important to remember is, diets do not work. This is a proven and accepted fact in the world of obesity study.

I'll say it again.  Diets do not work.

You might lose something initially, but then you'll just put it back on again, and probably gain even more.

For obese people, the -only- thing that works is a complete change in their relationship with food.  It's a lifestyle change, and must be -forever-, otherwise they'll just return to their former obesity. If they can get through the needed lifestyle changes, and this is where support is usually needed, they'll lose the dangerous excess weight, and keep it off.

I'm on an NHS programme right now, started a week ago. I've already lost 2 kilos, just by doing nothing more than putting my knife & fork down between bites.  This slows down your eating and gives your brain a chance to catch up with your body and lets it realise you're full -before- you've stuffed yourself to the gills.  That's what the programme is all about. It's not a diet, it's about changing how you do things.

You say that, but I think we're thinking of two different things when we say diet. Diet has a negative stigma for many, but all I'm talking about is regulating food.

The quick-fix crash diets can be bad for many reasons, in between dropping junk food cold turkey without suitable replacements. This often causes people to give in before they've even gotten started.

Maybe I should say meal plan. That is, having a plan for your meals, moderating your intake, having healthy replacements, learning to let your stomach settle before making decisions for seconds or dessert, etc.

For me, instead of having a sodium rich hotpocket for lunch, coupled with chips, soda, and dessert, I now eat a decent sandwich with flax-seed wheat bread, lunch meat, lettuce, tomato... with a banana or apple, yogurt low in sugar and protein rich, and maybe granola of some sort for dessert. My sweet tooth is my weakness, but if I can avoid those 20g sugar 310 calorie Nutty Bars then by all means.  Compared to what I used to take in, I'd say that's leaps and bounds better.

I've dropped from 175lbs to a consistent 155lbs over the last 3 months (9 kilos down). It used to be hard for me to gain weight, but these days? It's easy as pie as I get older. Thus, trying to stay disciplined can be a lot of work, but so long as I don't start rewarding good behavior with junk food, I think I'll be okay. Also, I work out 2-4 times a week for what it's worth, which also really helps. (weightlifting > cardio)

I realize I'm getting off topic and I should also be getting back to work, but I enjoy being able to talk with people on this stuff, which is why fat acceptance bothers me so much. I'm pretty sure my mom would be dead right now had she not changed her habits. (she's the real hero for me, having lost over 100lbs / 45 kilos...) She used to be in a walker at the age of 44 and now does leg press with a decent amount of weight (90 kilos last I checked).

I'll say it again. Diets do not work.

For obese people, the -only- thing that works is a complete change in their relationship with food. It's a lifestyle change, and must be -forever-, otherwise they'll just return to their former obesity. If they can get through the needed lifestyle changes, and this is where support is usually needed, they'll lose the dangerous excess weight, and keep it off.

I'm on an NHS programme right now, started a week ago. I've already lost 2 kilos, just by doing nothing more than putting my knife & fork down between bites. This slows down your eating and gives your brain a chance to catch up with your body and lets it realise you're full -before- you've stuffed yourself to the gills. That's what the programme is all about. It's not a diet, it's about changing how you do things.

This post is great, good information!

While, I don't think it is right to have a place to just make fun of fat people.. It is more wrong to take away free speech. Even if you don't agree with that voice, shutting it down is not cool either..

Commendable effort from Reddit but likely pointless as the harassers will move elsewhere and certain other subreddits should get the axe too.

The people who harass others online for whatever criteria they feel like about, they are not just online trolls or cyber-bullies, they are horrible persons in real life.

They just expose themselves over the Internet because they have anonymity and do not fear retribution for their acts.

While, I don't think it is right to have a place to just make fun of fat people.. It is more wrong to take away free speech. Even if you don't agree with that voice, shutting it down is not cool either..

Its a private forum, Those who feel they need to put down others can hang out on /b/ or start their own site

I think it's clear that Reddit has successfully drawn lines for forbidding content in the past. I'm not sure why this is a significantly greater inhibition of free speech than forbidding things that are "too illegal".

I think underweight people are equally criticized, and i'm not trying to call anyone out.. Just saying, we have expectations of what 'normal' size people should be.

It's not right to criticize others who don't fit our expectation.

Edited by Fulcrum

Reddit lost all credibility when it began censoring Gamergate discussion. The site and its moderators are firmly rooted in the SJW ideology. Most sensible people have moved on to 8chan.

• Like 3

What annoys me most about this is that people are behaving as if the tenant of "free speech" is being violated. It's not. The First Amendment protects you from the government censoring you, not private citizens (which is what the people running these sites ultimately are). Oh also, the Internet is a supra-national... um... thing. No one nations' laws apply so, the First Amendment argument is invalid anyway; I was just trying to make a point.

The myth of "on the Internet, I can do whatever I want with no consequences" is just that 

What annoys me most about this is that people are behaving as if the tenant of "free speech" is being violated. It's not. The First Amendment protects you from the government censoring you, not private citizens (which is what the people running these sites ultimately are). Oh also, the Internet is a supra-national... um... thing. No one nations' laws apply so, the First Amendment argument is invalid anyway; I was just trying to make a point.

The myth of "on the Internet, I can do whatever I want with no consequences" is just that 

Free speech doesn't exist on the internet. It's all private sites, who can set any rules they like on what people can talk about.

• Like 2

Even private entities are held to a certain standard.  The question has never been that they can't, but why would they?  For Neowin's flim flam 'we are a family site' bollocks?

The reason this is different is because its one of the few major sites that provides this valuable service to such a large audience.  Again, they aren't censoring unpopular ideas, they are attacking specific acts of harassment.

Here's something for you to consider.

Does an anorexic choose to starve themselves, or do they have a psychological condition?

Do bullimics choose to binge eat then force theemselves to vomit, or do they have a psychological condition?

Why is it unacceptable to make fun of people suffering those conditions, but obese people are fair game?

I accept you don't make fun of them, but it's still something for you and others to consider.  Often, the reasons for obesity are far more complex than just "eating too much", just like the reasons for anorexia are far more complex than "not eating enough".

Yea, people who have an eating habit can often feel trapped by their habits. That's why its called a vice.

Though, in the end, I think, if you're really serious, it really is about taking control and changing how you think. You mention anorexics and bulimics. If someone with one of those issues goes in to seek professional help, one of the most successful approaches is cognitive behavioral therapy, which is all about changing how the person thinks and responds to problems.

I think when you have any type of vice like that, the best motivation to change isn't even health. Its really about not feeling trapped anymore.

Reddit lost all credibility when it began censoring Gamergate discussion. The site and its moderators are firmly rooted in the SJW ideology. Most sensible people have moved on to 8chan.

uh what. reddit is anythign but SJW, unless you only hang out in the feminist and women sub's, even then the 2x and other non feminist subs are quite anti SJW. 

also healthy eating is more important than weight.

yes, if you're morbidly obese then you are unhealthy, and if you are very overweight you're at the very least putting a lot of wear on your joins and back. BUT you can be moderately overweight and more healthy than skinny people. Especially skinny people with a metabolism that allows and even in some cases forces them to eat a lot and anything. 

Skinny women are as horrible as obese women anyway. 

Thank you.  And if people would actually read about Free Speech, they will see that there are limitations and cases when it is deemed illegal and you can be held accountable for what you say

Its a private forum, Those who feel they need to put down others can hang out on /b/ or start their own site

Agreed. 

also healthy eating is more important than weight.

yes, if you're morbidly obese then you are unhealthy, and if you are very overweight you're at the very least putting a lot of wear on your joins and back. BUT you can be moderately overweight and more healthy than skinny people. Especially skinny people with a metabolism that allows and even in some cases forces them to eat a lot and anything.

Skinny women are as horrible as obese women anyway.

I agree with this, but it troubles me that so many use this truth as a crutch.
  • Like 1

I really, really don't want to turn this into a discussion about gamergate, but you know that didn't happen right?

Like the GG subreddit is still alive and kicking, the only thing they can't do is dox and harass people.

I really, really don't want to turn this into a discussion about gamergate, but you know that didn't happen right?

Like the GG subreddit is still alive and kicking, the only thing they can't do is dox and harass people.

I think they're mainly referring to the discussion of corruption within Kotaku when the Zoe Quinn story broke that had 40,000 comments deleted. They were talking about corruption, there were some name calling from a very small number of comments but it all got deleted. I think there might be archives and screenshots somewhere.

I agree with this, but it troubles me that so many use this truth as a crutch.

yeah, Me personally I know I need to lose weight and I have lost weight for periods as well but not enough to get to where I'd want to be, I also know I'll never be "thin" or "fit" I don't have the body or genes for it.  Where I am in life right now isn't very compatible with losing weight though.