Setting up a home network for my media

Hello!

Sorry for my ignorance however i am building a new home and want to cancel out as many cables as i can. I have 2 mac laptops and an Imac. I want to know if i am able to stream movies from my mac wirelessly to my tvs around the house. I have noticed apple has apple tv however i been told it is not a simple as it sounds.

Any information or assistance with this would be appreciated.

Regards

Ben

You can do it with Airplay but to be honest if your going to do that you might as well just plug the mac's directly into the TV instead of buying an Apple TV to do this. For my media center setups I have 2 things. A Mac mini connected to a 55inch samsung tv. The mac mini using Kodi to play media files from a hard drive or stream from online sources. For my other rooms I have a raspberry pi 2 setup running openelec also using kodi. From the kodi menu I choose to setup Samba shares to get the media files that are on the mac mini or stream from online sources. I choose to go this route over using my apple tv because I would have to download and convert everything to a format that would import into iTunes before the Apple TV would even see it. Its just too much work for something that should be simple. If you do go the route of convert to iTunes handbrake software is pretty good at that. Just be warned its a lot of disk space you will be using for this in the long run.