Who likes trains?

Well, a very quiet night shift has got me posting here again. Part of the reason for my disappearance was a change in focus on my hobbies. A few years ago I returned to my love of trains. Yes, there is a certain amount of ###### taking received. But you know what, my love of trains is no different to someone who is really into cars, horses, shooting or whatever. The railways have been intrinsic to the development of the UK and steam power kickstarted the industrial revolution. Locomotives are remarkable machines, with very individual personalities. These beasts are mechanical works of art, and Great Britain led the way in design and engineering for centuries. This hobby takes me all over the country, and often into parts of the european mainland.

In my time away, I have developed my own Youtube channel based on my hobby (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfWx-kkerF6iTo91x08tcjw)

15802597203_16c7f2de64_z.jpgM1400005 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

I love trains, have been a model railroader on and off since I was 5 when I received my first train set. Currently planning my next N scale based layout.

I luck out that the building my company rents office space in is adjacent to the mainline used by the regional Pan Am Railways (don't get me started on how bad of a railroad name that is, should still be an airline). While not a class 1 of any sorts, there is enough traffic on the line between Pan Am (with CSX and Norfolk Southern run through power), Amtrak and the MBTA commuter rail.

Cheers Andrew!

Yeah, I understand you're railroads are largely based on freight. Over here, we have probably one of the best preservation scenes, so much so that we are building new steamers...

8012806003_24c742441c_z.jpgDSCF3036 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

Although the A1SLT project has inspired a project to build a T1

Never been on one.

Cheers Andrew!

Yeah, I understand you're railroads are largely based on freight. Over here, we have probably one of the best preservation scenes, so much so that we are building new steamers...

8012806003_24c742441c_z.jpgDSCF3036 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

Although the A1SLT project has inspired a project to build a T1

Han?!? What are you doing?!?

Lot of mass and with the round of derailments lately....

post-546174-0-49512600-1434159646.jpg

Cheers.... :o

Ask any engineman and they'll tell you. Locomotive of the same class can have very individual quirks. Some are known to be bad steamers, some have characteristic sounds. Due to the way they were made, there are rarely 2 alike.

I enjoy trains in general, though not the depth of real train fans. Trains are just so much better than flying or driving. If there were finally a high speed line between LA and SF... sigh. The US rail system is just horrible, especially out west, where we have a lot of completely empty space.

I had a breakup living in Virginia and decided to take a train back to California. It was 3-4 days of quiet contemplation with relaxed thoughts, absolutely no pressure. I felt much better by the time I got home.

Coldgunner, please put the laser pistol away. J/K

I'm a model train guy - I mix N Scale trains with my love of Transformers

post-62779-0-64057900-1434161221.jpg

post-62779-0-82709700-1434161249.jpg

I really need to change the sign on that station to say "Autobot City" :D

Think of how many lorries a freight train takes off the road...

In Canada, I grew up with trains....they haul a lot here still with CN and CP....

Rail Facts

Canada