For Sale: 2 Russian Space Shuttles, Going Cheap

Sad site there, who knows how Space Exploration may have evolved had the Russians followed through with their Shuttle plans 

It's actually really quite sad seeing them just abandoned like that... :(

I'm fascinated by abandoned things, especially something of large scale.

To think how much time, human energy, resources and cost, and now it's turning to rust.

This is real sad........The Buran was very special...it may have looked like the U.S. Shuttle....but that is where it ends...The Buran used liquid boosters, had detachable flight engines and could carry 3X's the payload.....it's engines were what founded Russia's Energia...killed off by the end of the cold war and political restructuring.......one of these should have been specially prepped for the national museum....... :(

"Snowstorm"

post-546174-0-21760100-1434204149.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buran_(spacecraft)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a9763/did-the-soviets-actually-build-a-better-space-shuttle-16176311/

• Like 1

There was a reddit topic on this yesterday and you've left out the most important detail from it: these are full scale mockups, the original space shuttle was destroyed in 2002 when the roof of the hanger it was stored in collapsed. These are not capable of flight.

I'm shocked at the resemblence to the US design.  :o

during the USSR and USA cold war, someone somehow got their dirty little mits on our designs.

0_cbbe3_39b1c47a_orig.jpg

I'm shocked at the resemblence to the US design.  :o

during the USSR and USA cold war, someone somehow got their dirty little mits on our designs.

0_cbbe3_39b1c47a_orig.jpg

What?

Ok if true, fair enough

But the design is usually dictated by parameters, it looks like that because it was an efficient design for travel to and from outer space, payloads etc...?

• Like 2

What?

Ok if true, fair enough

But the design is usually dictated by parameters, it looks like that because it was an efficient design for travel to and from outer space...?

well secrets were stolen all the time. I was a soldier in Germany during the cold war. We were always down briefed about not talking shop talk to the fraulines.

But I mean the general construction and design. surely they'd have created their own nose cone and the pilots windows...

US version (Atlantis)

121101055646-space-shuttle-atlantis-in-2

You forgot to mention, buyer must collect in person due to Royal Mail postage charges :p

ok you got em for $100 but the postage will be millions... HHAHAHA!  :laugh:

This is real sad........The Buran was very special...it may have looked like the U.S. Shuttle....but that is where it ends...The Buran used liquid boosters, had detachable flight engines and could carry 3X's the payload.....it's engines were what founded Russia's Energia...killed off by the end of the cold war and political restructuring.......one of these should have been specially prepped for the national museum....... :(

Very sad indeed.I heard a shuttle was commissioned for restoration prior to the Russian Olympics but even that was botched by whoever received the contract.

These shuttles were quite special as they had autonomous landing which was a first for space shuttles. 

There is one Buran located at a museum in Speyer, Germany. Fairly good condition. They transported it over the Rhein river by ship.

Buran-K%C3%B6ln-04-08_24.JPG

Another interesting project was the development of the AN 225 as a carrier for the Buran.

antonov-an225-15.jpg

Glad to see one was saved........I am a heavy transport guy....The An-225 and the C5 Galaxy are my favorites..... :D

well secrets were stolen all the time. I was a soldier in Germany during the cold war. We were always down briefed about not talking shop talk to the fraulines.

But I mean the general construction and design. surely they'd have created their own nose cone and the pilots windows...

US version (Atlantis)

121101055646-space-shuttle-atlantis-in-2

ok you got em for $100 but the postage will be millions... HHAHAHA!  :laugh:

I was stationed in AK in 91, we still got those OPSEC briefings quarterly, they weren't open about it but we were still in Soviet Russia mode till at least 96

There was a reddit topic on this yesterday and you've left out the most important detail from it: these are full scale mockups, the original space shuttle was destroyed in 2002 when the roof of the hanger it was stored in collapsed. These are not capable of flight.

One of those shuttles is "Ptichka" which would have been the second operational shuttle (like 95% complete or something before the program was cancelled).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptichka_(Buran-class_spacecraft)

Extra info......

This video is in Russian...but it shows the collapsed hanger that killed 8 people and destroyed 1.01...the original Buran that flew...I believe that 1.02 is the only other one (not completed) and the rest were test articles.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buran_programme

if problems....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feIlGXSqGsA

Only one of those is a flight model, the other is an actual shuttle.