Youtube Gaming

Youtube is creating a new service centered around (you guessed it) gaming.

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2015/06/a-youtube-built-for-gamers.html

It's pretty clear this is meant to do be a direct competitor to twitch.tv compared to their previous iterations of their streaming service. Which some people might not even be aware they had considering how widely used it is/was.

I personally don't have much interest in this. To me youtube has been less and less relevant in my life and there are a lot of personalities I enjoy on twitch. So unless those people migrate to a different service twitch will keep getting my views. I also find the people who are already claiming this is going to kill twitch amusing.

Discuss.

Does the YouTube service have any distinct advantage over Twitch?

I don't really watch/use Twitch, care to share some of your favourite personalities with me?

I don't really watch/use Twitch, care to share some of your favourite personalities with me?

This new service or their older one? I couldn't say one way or the other really. Never watched their current one and probably won't watch this new one.  :laugh:

As for the advantage they have is pretty obvious. A way bigger viewer base with people like Pewdiepie having 30+ million subscribers.

As for twitch personalities I really enjoy Dansgaming, Lethalfrag, Manvsgame, summit1g and a few others. All of them tend to play different kinds of games at different times of the day.

The first thing that comes to mind ... viewbotting. Twitch has loads of viewbotters. YouTube's new service won't. At least it won't at first, if at all.

The first thing that comes to mind ... viewbotting. Twitch has loads of viewbotters. YouTube's new service won't. At least it won't at first, if at all.

That's actually a thing? I watch twitch.tv at least 2-3 hours every day when I have the time (I watch twitch instead of regular tv) and I've never really noticed it. But then I mostly watch established streamers who have been doing it for years so maybe that's why.

Viewbotting ... yes it is indeed "a thing". Popular streamer Lady Miss 80s recently switched from Twitch to YouTube because of it, and won't go back.

I'm not sure why it matters. If someone is viewbotting (still not sure exactly what that is) then just don't support that person? It's not that big of a deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be so sure about that. ^

Durign E3, for example, YT's streaming quality was much better than Twitch's and on top of that, YT has a good VOD system, whereas Twitch's VOD system is rather lacking, to say the least.

The thing about youtube is that they've got all that content matching and other forms of copy protection. Who knows how that is going to interfere with the vods and even the streaming itself.

• 2 weeks later...