Here's Why I hate Samsung!

The removal of expandable storage (and the awesome camera) is tipping me towards the G4 when I will have the money in a couple of months. I'm not sure why the fad of removing expandable storage options in phones has gathered so much steam actually, I find it annoying.

The removal of expandable storage (and the awesome camera) is tipping me towards the G4 when I will have the money in a couple of months. I'm not sure why the fad of removing expandable storage options in phones has gathered so much steam actually, I find it annoying.

What are you storing on your phone that you need more than 32/64 gb for? Use the cloud that's what it's for 

i have a s5 on lollipop and i couldnt be happier with the phone, was also happy with my s also dont think its laggy and i got updates, its the carriers fault its taken so long. also where i live we have samsung service centers =]

Different phones for different needs.

Bingo!

I am personally ok with 64 GB internal and no expandable. It's what I have on my iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6. I use Google Photos (unlimited storage for cloud photos so I can view every single picture/video I have ever taken), and Play Music All Access (store all my music via cloud, and stream music I don't have). I'm sitting with 45 GB free on my S6 right now. This is with 4 GB of music stored internally, 1.5 GB of pictures, and cached Here maps + tons of other apps. I haven't used removable batteries since the Galaxy Nexus (and that phone needed it!). I get 3 days of battery on my S6, and have portable battery chargers if I need. Battery cases have also popped up, if you're into that. I don't see a need for removable batteries for me - don't like restarting my phone if I can avoid it. 

That's your decision. Not mine. I don't use the cloud for all photos... only some photos that I don't mind that can be uploaded to the cloud. But like I said, it's your decision.

About the battery, that's your decision.  My way is better.    :D

If you want removable battery and expandable storage, get the LG G4.

Thanks for your suggestion but there are more phones with those similar features.  Not only G4.

I have Note 2 for that but it's fur wifi usages only. I have data plan on S4.

It's a love / hate thing with me and Samsung, i'd never buy a Samsung device with Touchwiz on it, however in other areas I like what Samsung do.

I do however think Samsung give Android as an OS a bad reputation these days. People buy a cheap Samsung device, with next to no user storage, limited ram and loaded with Touchwiz and bloat. That person ends up with an unusable phone and think it's because of Android.

Then again if it wasn't form Samsung and their $14 billion marketing budget Android could well have ended up as popular as Windows Phone is.

I think most of you have either bought Galaxy S6 or you are Sammy's Fan's  :D

So the only people who don't agree with you are Sammy Fans or own the s6... sounds like you really didn't want other peoples opinions.. just validation of your own.

• Like 4

Only reason for me to not like Samsung us Touchwiz.  I prefer LG and Nexus devices.  People like to go with what is popular and think that is the best phone out there.  Really depends on the user.  What is best for one may not be best for another.

• Like 1

So the only people who don't agree with you are Sammy Fans or own the s6... sounds like you really didn't want other peoples opinions.. just validation of your own.

firey -a lot of criticism (not alone on Neowin, either) is "who is with me" as they march off to burn the offending entity in the public square.

I could have made a similar comment about the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 - however, the Galaxy Tab 4 (which replaced it) is as different from the Tab 2 as night and day - despite both having the same screen size and both being from Samsung.

As I pointed out (in a different thread), the Tab 4 is so much better in the efficiency department (and faster in the performance department) that you are surprised that TouchWiz (which is also on all Samsung tablets, as well as their phones) is not a drag.  (To put it bluntly, while TouchWiz is, if anything, MORE obvious on the Tab 4 than the Tab 2 - multi-user-mode wouldn't work without it - it not only is NOT a drag on the Tab 4, it actually makes the 4 a treat to use.  However, I have absolutely no idea how Samsung managed to get TW right on the 4, when it was so AWFUL on the 2.)

It's not the first time that Samsung had a major performance leap in a single generation, either - consider the Galaxy S3 and S4, or the 820 Pro vs. 840 Pro, or even the more recent example of 840 Pro vs. 850 Pro.

I refuse to make generalizations about a company based on a single product for precisely this reason - EVERY company  has been known to lay eggs.

Only reason for me to not like Samsung us Touchwiz.  I prefer LG and Nexus devices.  People like to go with what is popular and think that is the best phone out there.  Really depends on the user.  What is best for one may not be best for another.

techbeck - have you used a Galaxy Tab 4 or Note 4?  If you are NOT the only user of your tablet, you may change your mind about TouchWiz on a tablet (or phone) properly equipped to use the features of it.

Also, unlike the preceding Tab 2 (or Tab 3), the Tab 4 is quad-core - more CPU = less lag.

Most users (at least on Neowin) ARE the only user of their phone or tablet - therefore, multi-user mode wouldn't necessarily be of use to them.  (This is not a feature inherent in Android, either - or even in TouchWiz - the Tab 2 didn't have it, and the Tab 3 doesn't have it, either.)

Has Motorola ditched Motoblur (similar to TouchWiz, and across their entire line of Android phones)?  While native IS better - something I've said repeatedly - if you are going to USE an overlay (as an ODM), it behooves you to get it right.  Doesn't matter whether it's phones, tablets, or PCs - if you get it wrong, it will hound you like Moby Dick hounded Ahab.

I wanted to address the OP concern about samsung products retaining its value. I am a owner of a note 3 and I made this purchase when it came out in 2013. I am going to sell mine now in mint condition and will receive close to $300.00 for it according to recent swappa.com data that can be seen in the image I provided below.

Retains_Value.png

I am finally going to upgrade to the note 4, which I already paid for for only 420 and I will be receiving superior hardware than the iPhone 6 plus.

Note 4 Advantages over iPhone 6 plus

1. Higher Resolution PPI
  2. Ability to swap out battery to a fully charge battery
  3. More Apps available.
  4. Can use with Samsung tv to play any video on the device, Samsung tv's have the best picture image so chances are if you like the best you  have a samsung tv.
  5. Superior picture and video capture.

The list can go on and on however these are my top 5 personal reasons why i can not own a iPhone. I do like Apple products very much, as I am writing on a apple keyboard right now on my 27inch iMac with 16gbs memory, however this product from apple satisfies all my needs for getting my work done an internet marketer.

The phone however limits me and my productivity which I can not accept.

PROOF.png

In conclusion I am spending less and getting so much more value for my money with a Samsung phone than I would with an Apple phone.

Throughout the years Apple has demonstrated it does not need to have the best hardware to compete, instead its strength lies with its software and strong fan base who have unconditional love for this company as one does for their family.

The people who are Samsung Note 4 users are aware of the difference in hardware and use this as a consideration, also the android market offers much more apps than Apple.

• Like 3

Another thing that has not been addressed is the fact that you should not be purchasing a device based on resale value but your needs, resale "value" is another sad trope Apple fans use to justify the cost of Apple's stuff, nothing more 

What are you storing on your phone that you need more than 32/64 gb for? Use the cloud that's what it's for 

I personally don't actually store that much data on my device, I just prefer phones to have the option to have expandable storage. I don't like using cloud storage, it's not as secure as local storage, and not everybody has or can afford unlimited data plans. It's not as if SD card slots increase the production cost of phones all that much, and I see no reason why they need to be omitted from flagship devices.

Plus it's common for flagship devices these days to have 16mp+ cameras that can shoot raw photos. At over 30MB per file those could eat into your storage quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

Touchwiz is about the only thing I dislike greatly on samsung phones. Other than that, they are cool engineered products that affect every human in a positive way. 

• Like 1

Touchwiz is about the only thing I dislike greatly on samsung phones. Other than that, they are cool engineered products that affect every human in a positive way. 

well, the android phones i used are nexus and htc devices.   first samsung i actually own is S6.     i really don't notice anything bad about touchwiz.

however looking at reviews, they say that touchwiz have being minimized by samsung in this generation and is much faster, so maybe that is why.

I've never been a fan of samsmug phones but even I'll admit, after the s4, they got a whole lot better.

I just happen to like my moto g more.

Another thing that has not been addressed is the fact that you should not be purchasing a device based on resale value but your needs, resale "value" is another sad trope Apple fans use to justify the cost of Apple's stuff, nothing more 

I am not counting Resale Value as a certain point to why not to buy Sammy devices. However, One doesn't even need to think about resale values if the phone actually has any value (functions, features, updates, apps, good hardware)

Ya gettin me? Think about this: Why Apple Devices are so much in demand even if they are dead (not working, bad ESN, cracked, banged, destroyed etc). You can still make a big fortune by selling a dead apple device. But that's not possible in the case of Sammy? Can you explain why?

• 2 weeks later...

I am not counting Resale Value as a certain point to why not to buy Sammy devices. However, One doesn't even need to think about resale values if the phone actually has any value (functions, features, updates, apps, good hardware)

Ya gettin me? Think about this: Why Apple Devices are so much in demand even if they are dead (not working, bad ESN, cracked, banged, destroyed etc). You can still make a big fortune by selling a dead apple device. But that's not possible in the case of Sammy? Can you explain why?

Because people are inexplicably gaga over iCrap.

Before I dropped it and broke it my Nexus 5 was still a smooth phone, even after the upgrade to lollipop. The resale price doesn't always reflect the capability of the device.

• Like 1

What I do personally really hate about Samsung it's a TouchWiz, but I've been browsing the web and found that Samsung has officially released a theme that is close to stock Android.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2940852/material-design-theme-for-galaxy-s6-and-edge-gives-your-phone-that-stock-android-look.html

And I have to say that it looks good. 

• Like 1

It all comes down to what is happening in the local market - the iPhone retains its value because Apple never discounts its products for carriers  (the wholesale price) nor does sweetheart deals for carriers so the price remains constant from the first month after it is launched or one month before the launch of the next version. Compare that to Samsung, HTC, Sony etc. who will cut their price they charge carriers and then the carriers pass that saving along to consumers with cheaper contract prices etc. meaning that for a lot of people it isn't worth their while purchasing a second hand phone when they can pick up a brand new one with a warranty for slightly more than a used one.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Too Many Phones.

2. LaggyWiz 

3. They release Plus versions of their flagships (Then you feel like an idiot for buying a Sammy device just a month ago)

4. Slow Updates to OS. 

5. No Resale Value of their hardware. (You only get about $200 avg for a $600 device after a year)

6. No Service Centers

Okay. Now before anyone opens their big mouth calling me fanboy or iBoy etc, lemme tell u that I am a Samsung Galaxy S5 User and an ex iPhone user.

I have been using GS5 for about a year now and I came to realize that these phones have no resale value at all. There's a reason why Apple's new phones/ old phones and even god damn DEAD phones sell like hotcakes. On the other side no body gives a damn about Galaxy Devices. Even if they are a brand new released device. 

Samsung keep's making 100's of new phones every year. And then it takes them a whole lot time to release updates for past and present phones. Each of their device(s) has a different look, interface, specs that it confuses consumer. Therefore, people in general decide to buy iPhone because they know its not going to be labeled as an "OLD" Phone. Not at-least for 2 - 3 years. They know their phone will get updated when other Apple phones will. And they have some ETA. Whereas, in Samsung's case, people forget about its even a "few months old" device. Let alone software updates/ bug fixes.

Now to those who just bought a Brand New Galaxy S6/ Edge. There's a new phone coming out in a month or 2 called : Galaxy S6 Plus/ Edge Plus. It'll be most likely upgraded with Better Processor, Storage, Better Battery and Memory with new Software pre-loaded.

So how would you feel? Let me know what do you think about Samsung and the way it's spawning of tons of phones.

S6E 128gb user here. Previous owned the s1, s3 and s4 as well...

1. Agree. I prefer Apple's approach of like releasing the best possible phone they can make. Makes it easier to keep it updated.

2. LaggWiz. Yeap. My s6e is known to be terrible in memory management. Apps getting killed too easily. Some blamed it on Lollipop's memory leak but don't think it is the case. I used Lollipop since the first day when it released. Yes there is memory leak, but that didn't make my phone kill background apps so often. I believe it is due to TouchWiz taking up too much ram, and apps had to be killed to free more ram.

3.  Yeah. My S6E feels kind of old now :/

4. Cannot beat iOS but for a Android OEM is it not bad.

5. Yeah again cannot be compared to iPhones but as a Android OEM its not bad...

6. No a problem at my area. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

1. Too Many Phones.

2. LaggyWiz 

3. They release Plus versions of their flagships (Then you feel like an idiot for buying a Sammy device just a month ago)

4. Slow Updates to OS. 

5. No Resale Value of their hardware. (You only get about $200 avg for a $600 device after a year)

6. No Service Centers

Okay. Now before anyone opens their big mouth calling me fanboy or iBoy etc, lemme tell u that I am a Samsung Galaxy S5 User and an ex iPhone user.

I have been using GS5 for about a year now and I came to realize that these phones have no resale value at all. There's a reason why Apple's new phones/ old phones and even god damn DEAD phones sell like hotcakes. On the other side no body gives a damn about Galaxy Devices. Even if they are a brand new released device. 

Samsung keep's making 100's of new phones every year. And then it takes them a whole lot time to release updates for past and present phones. Each of their device(s) has a different look, interface, specs that it confuses consumer. Therefore, people in general decide to buy iPhone because they know its not going to be labeled as an "OLD" Phone. Not at-least for 2 - 3 years. They know their phone will get updated when other Apple phones will. And they have some ETA. Whereas, in Samsung's case, people forget about its even a "few months old" device. Let alone software updates/ bug fixes.

Now to those who just bought a Brand New Galaxy S6/ Edge. There's a new phone coming out in a month or 2 called : Galaxy S6 Plus/ Edge Plus. It'll be most likely upgraded with Better Processor, Storage, Better Battery and Memory with new Software pre-loaded.

So how would you feel? Let me know what do you think about Samsung and the way it's spawning of tons of phones.

They make good display panels and CPUs, but Samsung is without a doubt the most evil predatory copycat company on this planet. They crowbar themselves into every market with complete disregard for rules and patents, simply because they have enough money to not give much of a damn about lawsuits. They even make washing machines and refrigerators now. How do you think they manage that all of a sudden? Most of their products are above average quality, but there's nothing special or exciting about them, and they're obsolete within a week because they'll have a slightly better version. 

They are the Walmart of the electronic business, leaving behind a path of destruction everywhere they go. I have nothing good to say about them.

Note: I'm an Android user and I don't like Apple and iDevices, but it's pretty much impossible to side with Samsung in the feud that's going on between them. For my phone needs, I'm sticking to Sony, HTC, and now Blackberry with their new Android device.