Halo 5 - No split screen or system link co-op

Well gone are the good old days of two of you hanging out on sofa, playing a video game in co-op mode with only thing to fight over is which side of split-screen you wanted to be on.

Now these days it going to be costly adventure, two tv's, two copies of the game, two consoles, two internet connections, two xbox live gold packages, just so you and your buddy can go online and play in co-op mode, just like it used to be back in day of split-screen.

Source

I'm probable in the minority here, however I think the lack of split screen co-op is a major blow, i've completed every past Halo game on split-screen co-op. I've always preferred to be in the same room as people i'm playing a co-op game with, sadly it appears local split screen co-op play (and even system link) is becoming a thing of the past.

• Like 2

All in the aid of keeping 60 fps :/

On the upside, they've announced 20 maps at launch with 15 free via DLC and betas for all future games after the MCC shambles.

All in the aid of keeping 60 fps :/

On the upside, they've announced 20 maps at launch with 15 free via DLC and betas for all future games after the MCC shambles.

Yeah, granted this was one the 360, halo 4 split screen with just 2 players nearly killed it. If they are pushing the one to its limits, think dropping split screen was a wise choice. Really annoying though, would love to play some split screen with my mates. Guess they should ask us the gamers would they accept a visual drop while in split screen mode.

Makes you wonder though, what more would 343 done if halo 4 didn't support split screen

I think if a game drops res to offer you split screen co-op no one would mind, it'd be harder to tell I'd say, instead of one big WS picture you're getting 2 smaller 4:3 screens side by side.   They probably see it as very niche at this point, with more and more people just playing co-op and MP over Live so they feel find with dropping it. 

I think if a game drops res to offer you split screen co-op no one would mind, it'd be harder to tell I'd say, instead of one big WS picture you're getting 2 smaller 4:3 screens side by side.   They probably see it as very niche at this point, with more and more people just playing co-op and MP over Live so they feel find with dropping it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it's also to "encourage" people to purchase 2 copies instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's also to "encourage" people to purchase 2 copies instead.

Odds are if you have a friend who even wants to co-op in split screen for a game they also own it already because they like it enough.  

My brother and I have played every Halo game split-screen coop all the way through on hardest difficulty.

I guess those days are over. I won't bother buying this one.

Why is system-link still a thing? You don't need it unless your network is broken.

Not everyone has an Xbox Live subscription, with system link you can still 4 player co-op without anyone needing to be subscribed to Xbox Live.

Its no big deal to me but I do think this is a shame. It may be a minority who don't have XBL etc but I used to have a lot of fun playing split screen games with my brother when I lived at home. Whenever I do go home to stay we often will play something split screen too :(

Well considering my best friend now lives in the US, this is fine by me >:-D

While split screen will be missed, its NOT a dealbreaker imho.

Not sure if this is true or not, but rumor has it that Microsoft will allow Halo 5 co-op to be played over Live without Gold sub.

Not everyone has an Xbox Live subscription, with system link you can still 4 player co-op without anyone needing to be subscribed to Xbox Live.

Yeah, ok that makes sense.

While split screen will be missed, its NOT a dealbreaker imho.

Not sure if this is true or not, but rumor has it that Microsoft will allow Halo 5 co-op to be played over Live without Gold sub.

That rumour is dead. XBL Gold is required

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/clarity-regarding-halo-5-guardians-online-co-op-access

There are a lot of couples who game together these days and local co-op is more important to me than ever. I will buy two copies of a good PC game if it means I can play co-op with my significant other because we already have two PCs, but buying two consoles is probably never going to happen.

There are a lot of couples who game together these days and local co-op is more important to me than ever. I will buy two copies of a good PC game if it means I can play co-op with my significant other because we already have two PCs, but buying two consoles is probably never going to happen.

I'm pretty sure someone said you could stream the game to the PC and someone else could co-op play on the Xbox One on the TV.  So you can do local co-op that way, iirc, might have to double check that though.

I'm pretty sure someone said you could stream the game to the PC and someone else could co-op play on the Xbox One on the TV.  So you can do local co-op that way, iirc, might have to double check that though.

Thanks, I missed that :)

Once people stop with the knee jerk reaction and take some time to read up on the system in place then they'll see it's fine.

Here's another post from polygon. 

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/18/8804273/halo-5-guardians-microtransactions-343-blog

Indeed. I nearly fell off my chair when I read the over reaction to something that really is a non issue.

Edited by Andrew

My beef with this setup (microtransactions) is that it's largely unnecessary. I'm glad they are attempting to put in new modes, but I feel Halo is slowly becoming some Destiny / Call of Duty / Counterstrike hybrid monster. That's not what I want from Halo and I don't think 343 Really understands this yet. They already tried going down the Call of Duty route with Halo 4's weapon drops for kill streaks and that was removed from the MCC multiplayer version (probably because people didn't like it).

I just don't really see a place for it in this game either. The more I played the multiplayer in the Beta, the more I read about the way the game works and the kinds of things popping up in it the more I realize that if I buy the game I'll probably not play its multiplayer component at all. I'll stick with campaign and cooperative play because honestly, it's not really Halo anymore.

• Like 1

Well I guess we could of seen this coming from the MCC. I noticed they removed the majority of amazing multiplayer availability from Halo 1/2 in MCC and only allowed for 2 player coop, even if 2 others were on another console. I hated that they had removed one of the greatest features from the Halo games, and to see that they are pushing it even more towards playing with yourself makes me sad. I will miss being able to play through the games with friends and doing awesome local LAN parties with 2 Xboxs and a network cable.

I don't know if its been mentioned but there is 2 player split screen for multiplayer.