A Question About "Product Keys" In Windows 10

I still have questions in my mind about how product keys are going to be handled in Windows 10.

Is it possible for one machine to have to valid product keys?

My scenario is, let's say that I am running Windows 10 Home and buy a "clean install" Windows 10 Professional". Would both of these licenses be valid for the machine?

No. If you install Pro overtop Home, the Pro key would be the valid key for the machine. Home would no longer be the active key.

It would probably only bind your Professional (retail) license to Windows 10 on their Database.

As far as I recall Retail license will behave as such and can be moved between PCs.

No. If you install Pro overtop Home, the Pro key would be the valid key for the machine. Home would no longer be the active key.

This is part of the reason I'm confused about this. It is the active key. I got that. But is it the only VALID key in the MS database? 

Let say I  have Windows 7 Home (OEM version) with a restore partition, which I do now, and upgrade to Windows 10 Home. It shouldn't invalidate my current Windows 7 key. I ought to be able to run dual boot if I want to with both OS's being valid. My fear is that if  the Windows 10 key is tied to the specific machine, that MS would consider that Windows 10 key as the ONLY valid key for that machine.

They may not check for this and the Windows 7 key would still be valid. I'm just trying to cover all my bases and avoiding any "gotchas". Personally, I don't think  MS has explained everything enough about the free upgrade because it has left questions "up in the air". 

This is part of the reason I'm confused about this. It is the active key. I got that. But is it the only VALID key in the MS database? 

Let say I  have Windows 7 Home (OEM version) with a restore partition, which I do now, and upgrade to Windows 10 Home. It shouldn't invalidate my current Windows 7 key. I ought to be able to run dual boot if I want to with both OS's being valid. My fear is that if  the Windows 10 key is tied to the specific machine, that MS would consider that Windows 10 key as the ONLY valid key for that machine.

They may not check for this and the Windows 7 key would still be valid. I'm just trying to cover all my bases and avoiding any "gotchas". Personally, I don't think  MS has explained everything enough about the free upgrade because it has left questions "up in the air". 

Dual boot... Windows 10 Home and Pro? Then yes, both Win10 keys would be valid. This is the same case now if you dual boot two different SKUs of Win7 or Win8.1. All 3 licenses should then be active.

You're making an issue where none exists. This upgrade is no different from other upgrades.

Dual boot... Windows 10 Home and Pro? Then yes, both Win10 keys would be valid. This is the same case now if you dual boot two different SKUs of Win7 or Win8.1. All 3 licenses should then be active.

You're making an issue where none exists. This upgrade is no different from other upgrades.

I am not making an issue. I'm asking a question. 

I still have questions in my mind about how product keys are going to be handled in Windows 10.

Is it possible for one machine to have to valid product keys?

My scenario is, let's say that I am running Windows 10 Home and buy a "clean install" Windows 10 Professional". Would both of these licenses be valid for the machine?

Yes....you can have two product keys.  You can have Windows 7 Home / Windows 10 Pro (or Home) on the same computer.

However....

This scenario seems different than your original post (unless I'm mistaken).  In this one you have Windows 7.  You will upgrade that Windows 7 to Windows 10.  You will then use your restore partition to reinstall Windows 7?  Am I right?

I haven't seen the Windows 10 EULA for upgrading but Windows 8 upgrade EULA includes the following:

What about upgrading the software? 

The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded. After you complete your upgrade, additional software will be required to playback or record certain types of media, including DVDs. 

Anyway...as long as you do not upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 ... that Windows 7 license is valid and can be used in a dual boot environment.  If you upgrade Windows 7 then you can not use that copy of Windows 7 (as it has been upgraded to 10).

Not sure why people say to call Microsoft. If you upgrade a key (Windows 7 to Windows 10), they would not be able to reactivate it.

Not sure why people say to call Microsoft. If you upgrade a key (Windows 7 to Windows 10), they would not be able to reactivate it.

Actually they can.

Actually they can.

Not sure if they can or cannot.  However, they shouldn't be able to for the simple fact that you've replaced the original Windows after you upgraded.

As with the EULA I posted:  "You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way."

I certainly wouldn't want to risk a "Non Genuine" issue in the future.

Not sure if they can or cannot.  However, they shouldn't be able to for the simple fact that you've replaced the original Windows after you upgraded.

As with the EULA I posted:  "You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way."

I certainly wouldn't want to risk a "Non Genuine" issue in the future.

Eh, usually the automate system will do it for you.. worst case you make something up and MS will get you activated.

Not sure why people say this.

If you remove Windows 10 and reinstall Windows 7, then you're allowed to do this.

It isn't an irreversible upgrade (key).

Having said that, you can't just ring up MS and keep asking to "increase the activation limit". There is a limit and they deauthorise other computer(s) to allow the new one to proceed.

If there's too many using one key, then all get deactivated and you'll need to phone MS and give a 'please explain'.

^ I used 50 activations on a MAK key. I rang up, asked for 50 more, 5 minutes later had 50/100 available. 

Why? "PCs died before I could deactivate"

Yes....you can have two product keys.  You can have Windows 7 Home / Windows 10 Pro (or Home) on the same computer.

However....

This scenario seems different than your original post (unless I'm mistaken).  In this one you have Windows 7.  You will upgrade that Windows 7 to Windows 10.  You will then use your restore partition to reinstall Windows 7?  Am I right?

I haven't seen the Windows 10 EULA for upgrading but Windows 8 upgrade EULA includes the following:

What about upgrading the software? 

The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded. After you complete your upgrade, additional software will be required to playback or record certain types of media, including DVDs. 

Anyway...as long as you do not upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 ... that Windows 7 license is valid and can be used in a dual boot environment.  If you upgrade Windows 7 then you can not use that copy of Windows 7 (as it has been upgraded to 10).

Yes, I see what you mean. I did create two different scenarios in my question. But I understand now from the EULA what you can and can't do. 

What had confused me was that in other discussions both on this board and a different board, the question of an "OEM License" entered into the discussion.

The fact that an "OEM LIcense" was mentioned specifically muddled the issue because whether it was an OEM license or not didn't really enter into the real question.

I understand though that we lose the right to the original software after it is upgraded to the new version.