Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

Didn't look like an overmuscled space marine to me.   :p

Sure

But overmuscled space marines look quite generic too imo ;)

Dunno just think she doesn't have the "charisma" of Lara Croft.

• Like 1

Sure

But overmuscled space marines look quite generic too imo ;)

Dunno just think she doesn't have the "charisma" of Lara Croft.

She kind of reminds me of Nariko.

She kind of reminds me of Nariko.

Yup, even NT's new character reminds me of her too, but that's to be expected since it's their character :p

This was my favorite reveal during the keynote.

I'd really prefer to make my own character in "open world" action RPGs but no one seems to let you do that so it's no big deal.

I bet there would be a ton of people upset if the main character was male though with no option for playing a female but I suspect you won't hear a thing about the opposite being true.

I'd personally rather play a male myself, while my girlfriend tends to prefer playing females for some reason.

It does remind me of what a friend from college said when I asked him why he ALWAYS played females in 3rd person games:

"If I'm going to stare at a characters @$$ for hours, it's going to be a woman."

Seemed logical to me.

• Like 2

Big fan of this game reveal.  I'm with Andrew, I really want to learn more about gameplay, story, etc, but it was an impressive first look. 

Its great to see Guerilla games putting their skills elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in the E3 thread: this is game is everything I never knew I wanted. It's definitely my most anticipated game coming out of E3. It looks awesome.

This was my favorite reveal during the keynote.

I'd really prefer to make my own character in "open world" action RPGs but no one seems to let you do that so it's no big deal.

I bet there would be a ton of people upset if the main character was male though with no option for playing a female but I suspect you won't hear a thing about the opposite being true.

I'd personally rather play a male myself, while my girlfriend tends to prefer playing females for some reason.

It does remind me of what a friend from college said when I asked him why he ALWAYS played females in 3rd person games:

"If I'm going to stare at a characters @$$ for hours, it's going to be a woman."

Seemed logical to me.

I actually prefer the opposite. I would rather the game feature a defined, static character rather than let players create whatever they want, because that lends itself to better storytelling. The only place where I think customizable player characters make sense are in multiplayer games.

I actually prefer the opposite. I would rather the game feature a defined, static character rather than let players create whatever they want, because that lends itself to better storytelling. The only place where I think customizable player characters make sense are in multiplayer games.

To me "defined, static character" and "open world" are almost contradictory terms. (almost, but not quite)

I absolutely agree with you that having a defined, static character lends itself to better storytelling but typically games that tell a defined, static story are not what is considered "open world" in the first place.

"open world" generally means the player is free to do whatever they want (within technical constraints not intentional design constraints) and so it makes sense to "let players create whatever they want" for their character in those particular types of games.

Not that there isn't a place for story based games as well. Either way as I said it's not a big deal but it does seem to start blurring the line between a structured story based game and "open world" games when you start taking away the freedom to create and define your own character.

• 2 weeks later...

Bummed that no multiplayer or online coop for this game.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/killzone-devs-new-ps4-ip-horizon-zero-dawn-wont-ha/1100-6428752/

Getting it day one anyway.

Sounds more and more like The Witcher 3 each day, which is a good thing for me. No point in spending resources and money in MP if it's going to be some tacked on component dead in a month or two.

Horizon:ZD really took me by surprise.  I think I drooled a little bit during the reveal.

I am extremely happy that GG's is taking a chance at something new, and completely different from KillZone games.

I just hope they don't draw any inspirations from their KillZone game(s), especially KZ:SF.  

They are welcome to use the engine though, must admit KZ:SF was a pretty piece of garbage.  I still pop it in and just look around time to time, to admire the beauty and then turn it off.

If this turns out to be a hit, there are a lot of games purchases that will be taking a back seat.

Sounds more and more like The Witcher 3 each day, which is a good thing for me. No point in spending resources and money in MP if it's going to be some tacked on component dead in a month or two.

Was hoping for at least co-op. Well, there is always H2.

The game looks pretty fun, but some of the issues I have with this game are that it's got sci-fi in a fundamentally fantasy setting. I have always hated magitech, mostly because nobody knows how to pull it off right (Shadowrun is a rare exception). There are so many questions I have about how the demo even works, and rarely do I find it difficult to suspend my disbelief. There's one thing I can liken the setting to, however. Numenera. A world where people use technology without knowing what it is, or how it works. And somehow the technology evolved into its own being inexplicably.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist here, but I hope that more information sheds light on these things. It's all well and good to have nice mechanics and gameplay. Heck, that's primarily why I play games. But when the world just doesn't make any cohesive sense that can really get in the way of things for me. Little things here or there are fine, but I find that when applying heavy fantasy principles to a world with science fiction elements you run into a problem where people want to know the how and why but it never gets explained. Much like magic is in Lord of the Rings, it just is. But technology never just is. It has reason, purpose, intent.

So with that, I ask. How in the hell did we get techno-dinosaurs? And why does a little girl with archaic weaponry even remotely hurt them?

The game looks pretty fun, but some of the issues I have with this game are that it's got sci-fi in a fundamentally fantasy setting. I have always hated magitech, mostly because nobody knows how to pull it off right (Shadowrun is a rare exception). There are so many questions I have about how the demo even works, and rarely do I find it difficult to suspend my disbelief. There's one thing I can liken the setting to, however. Numenera. A world where people use technology without knowing what it is, or how it works. And somehow the technology evolved into its own being inexplicably.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist here, but I hope that more information sheds light on these things. It's all well and good to have nice mechanics and gameplay. Heck, that's primarily why I play games. But when the world just doesn't make any cohesive sense that can really get in the way of things for me. Little things here or there are fine, but I find that when applying heavy fantasy principles to a world with science fiction elements you run into a problem where people want to know the how and why but it never gets explained. Much like magic is in Lord of the Rings, it just is. But technology never just is. It has reason, purpose, intent.

So with that, I ask. How in the hell did we get techno-dinosaurs? And why does a little girl with archaic weaponry even remotely hurt them?

The whole story is about discovering why such animals exist. The main characters don't know either. So the developers aren't going tell us before release.

The whole story is about discovering why such animals exist. The main characters don't know either. So the developers aren't going tell us before release.

It might be, it might not. It is open world so it might provide that content. But as I said it could be very hit or miss. I just hope some idea is given, else in waiting till after release. The story and characters in a game are the least of my worries. Mechanics and world building are the most.

It might be, it might not. It is open world so it might provide that content. But as I said it could be very hit or miss. I just hope some idea is given, else in waiting till after release. The story and characters in a game are the least of my worries. Mechanics and world building are the most.

It says quite clearly in this trailer it's about discovering why the machines are there

Or here, directly from Guerilla

It says quite clearly in this trailer it's about discovering why the machines are there

Still does not explain how a human can generate enough force to stab a giant metal beast. I admit I'm being overly picky here, but I've grown to be so with things that include sci-fi elements. It's not terribly difficult to make these things make sense, and in that trailer I see very little reason as to why she would be able to do any damage to the creature she stabbed with the spear. The mechanics are fine, but it just doesn't make real sense for an human to be able to damage such creatures. They just cannot generate enough force in and of themselves (unless these creatures are made out of some very pliable metal like aluminum or something). These creatures are the dominant "life" form on the planet now for a good reason, they are of something that flesh and bone cannot really match. So it sort of defeats the idea when flesh and bone can so easily kill them despite that advantage.

I don't mean to bash on the game, but I really do hope they explain more than just "well, the point of the game is to get an explanation".

Still does not explain how a human can generate enough force to stab a giant metal beast. I admit I'm being overly picky here, but I've grown to be so with things that include sci-fi elements. It's not terribly difficult to make these things make sense, and in that trailer I see very little reason as to why she would be able to do any damage to the creature she stabbed with the spear. The mechanics are fine, but it just doesn't make real sense for an human to be able to damage such creatures. They just cannot generate enough force in and of themselves (unless these creatures are made out of some very pliable metal like aluminum or something). These creatures are the dominant "life" form on the planet now for a good reason, they are of something that flesh and bone cannot really match. So it sort of defeats the idea when flesh and bone can so easily kill them despite that advantage.

I don't mean to bash on the game, but I really do hope they explain more than just "well, the point of the game is to get an explanation".

They still bleed and have "weak points". It's not as if the "T-Rex" style enemy was taken down with a single spear either, it had to be destroyed piece by piece.

Bit of a strange train of thinking to take away from what we've seen.

I think we've had enough steroid space marines and gooey exploding aliens for a while. Something a little different is nice to see.

• Like 1

I think we've had enough steroid space marines and gooey exploding aliens for a while. Something a little different is nice to see.

I can agree with that, doesn't mean I can't be equally critical, haha. The game will probably be excellent, look at this as nitpicking.

I can agree with that, doesn't mean I can't be equally critical, haha. The game will probably be excellent, look at this as nitpicking.

Graphically it'll be in the bag as excellent, gameplay is the concern. Guerilla have always done FPS, this is TPS.