My one game streaming disappointment on Xbox One

Any of you guys use steam on a pc as you can do the exact same thing here, stream a game to another device, old laptop or tablet so long as you can install the steam client on it.  You can even set the pc to do all the hard work like rendering the graphics, but here is the difference you can still use your pc if you have dual screens while the game is running. 

But Steam doesn't stream Xbox games now does it. also it won't stream some games for me, like the homeworld remakes, only get green screen, even with hardware encoding off on both ends. 

I think it's time I hook up my TV box directly to the receiver as after I ugpraded from the old crap tv box to the new TV-We one the xbox one guide doesn't support the new one, so I get no guide(well I Guess I do that, but it'd be pretty meaningless) and can't change channels and all that. So using the pass through is pretty pointless now. and if I hook it directly to the receiver I can watch tv and stream to my laptop at the same time :)  even though the compression on the streaming is noticeable.

I may have to do that myself, but as i mentioned previously, i may get lynch mobbed by the rest of the family who have learnt how to use the Xbox to manage the TV. My missus has grown accustomed to a certain level of laziness when it comes to voice commands :p

I think this is just a limitation of the OS setup and one that can change with the future fall update and the new dashboard.  It's probably also why we can't have the music app playing in the background and it has to be snapped etc.  With the new dash coming I expect all these background tasks, like game streaming to be possible, it's not like it's doing more work if all you want to watch is TV while it's streaming a game to another PC, it's just video pass-through.

If they want to limit it to just TV and not apps, because it will impact the game, then ok.  But I think in most cases watching live TV would be why someone would be streaming to the PC and not playing directly on the TV.

I may have to do that myself, but as i mentioned previously, i may get lynch mobbed by the rest of the family who have learnt how to use the Xbox to manage the TV. My missus has grown accustomed to a certain level of laziness when it comes to voice commands :p

I'm in Norway, and since Microsoft decided that you choose language to choose country and you can't speak anything but Norwegian in Norway I don't have voice commands anyway.

and while OneGuide is great, it's missing some channels and can sometimes be incorrect. 

I'm disappointed too.  I hate how I now have to choose if I want my TV going through the XB1 anymore because of this.  Steam does seem to share the same limitation (to a degree), but I'm hoping they can figure a way around this. (I'd give up the generally unused OneGuide support if that's the main issue - its just a passthrough)

Pretty much all modern tv's have a direct tv cable connection port and a tv guide similar to microsoft's one guide. They also have DLNA and apps for things like netflix or I know atleast in Australia for cable providers like foxtel and etc (I think the US and other places also have cable providers who now stream content through internet also).

Just use the tv's built-in features for tv and internet media and then use the xbox for the game streaming, both of you can then do what you's want to do and all you need to do is change input source on the tv remote when you want to play the xbox on the tv.

Pretty much all modern tv's have a direct tv cable connection port and a tv guide similar to microsoft's one guide. They also have DLNA and apps for things like netflix or I know atleast in Australia for cable providers like foxtel and etc (I think the US and other places also have cable providers who now stream content through internet also).

Just use the tv's built-in features for tv and internet media and then use the xbox for the game streaming, both of you can then do what you's want to do and all you need to do is change input source on the tv remote when you want to play the xbox on the tv.

The built in guide in the TV's is the cable/aerial/satellite networks EPG. and the GUI for it on most TV's is pretty damn dreadful and slow. in fact the One Guide is better than what is on my new T-WE cable box which has a pretty good EPG. the One Guide is much better, to bad it doesn't support commands for the new box yet :(

also as for TV. using the TV and not a box limits functions on the network, like on the cable network I use, I won't get the T-We functionality and if you have a sound system with a surround receiver, most TV's only output stereo on TOSLink and HDMI ARC for some reason. 

The built in guide in the TV's is the cable/aerial/satellite networks EPG. and the GUI for it on most TV's is pretty damn dreadful and slow. in fact the One Guide is better than what is on my new T-WE cable box which has a pretty good EPG. the One Guide is much better, to bad it doesn't support commands for the new box yet :(

also as for TV. using the TV and not a box limits functions on the network, like on the cable network I use, I won't get the T-We functionality and if you have a sound system with a surround receiver, most TV's only output stereo on TOSLink and HDMI ARC for some reason. 

Not sure what your talking about in regards to T-WE, is that a cable provider where you are from?

Aerial is what I consider TV, free-to-air television and pretty much all modern tv's have a built-in receiver for it with a tv guide. Different TV manufacturers have a different GUI for it but all of them including the XB one look pretty similar.

Satellite and Cable you will need a box which then outputs through to the TV usually via HDMI cable, if you have an amplifier / surround sound system I would think the logical way to connect it up is to have the cable or sat output go via the amplifier for surround sound and then have the hdmi output of the amplifier going into the tv for the video instead of passing through the tv and then into the amp.

HDMI Arc does output surround sound, if your not getting surround sound via a HDMI Arc link you have either set it up incorrectly or the content source is giving you stereo only. Optical is also another audio output on the tv that you can connect into the amp for surround sound.

Most mid to high end TV's today have built in tuners for cable(DVB-C) and Satelling(DVB-S/S2) today in addition to terrestrial(aerial)(DVB-T). So no, you won't need a box for cable or satellite. 

T-We is a new advanced set of tuners, used among others by my cable provider. It allows several features, like starting the tv program you switch to from the start, Weekly TV archive, some web based TV channels, several TV box models including the main 8 tuner one, that records multiple channels, grabs EPG without disrupting TV and several others things. follow me TV with other cheaper boxers allowing you to keep watching a show in another room, or use another box in the house to start or set p serial recording on the main box.   I believe in the UK some providers use the same system under a different name.

HDMI ARC "CAN" output surround sound, just like TOSLink "CAN" output surround. BUT as I said, most TV's don't. The reasoning is usually not disclosed, but it's a fairly stupid money saving reason. the TV only has two speakers, so it only decodes stereo itself. to save money, that's the only sound decoding they do, so they just send stereo. There is a very few TV's who eill output surround on TOSLink and HDMI ARC, but it's very few and unreasonably priced top of the line models. 

Most mid to high end TV's today have built in tuners for cable(DVB-C) and Satelling(DVB-S/S2) today in addition to terrestrial(aerial)(DVB-T). So no, you won't need a box for cable or satellite. 

T-We is a new advanced set of tuners, used among others by my cable provider. It allows several features, like starting the tv program you switch to from the start, Weekly TV archive, some web based TV channels, several TV box models including the main 8 tuner one, that records multiple channels, grabs EPG without disrupting TV and several others things. follow me TV with other cheaper boxers allowing you to keep watching a show in another room, or use another box in the house to start or set p serial recording on the main box.   I believe in the UK some providers use the same system under a different name.

HDMI ARC "CAN" output surround sound, just like TOSLink "CAN" output surround. BUT as I said, most TV's don't. The reasoning is usually not disclosed, but it's a fairly stupid money saving reason. the TV only has two speakers, so it only decodes stereo itself. to save money, that's the only sound decoding they do, so they just send stereo. There is a very few TV's who eill output surround on TOSLink and HDMI ARC, but it's very few and unreasonably priced top of the line models. 

I think there is confusion in regards to what we think the aerial, sat and cable refers to.

For me:

TV refers to aerial free-to-air tv.

Satellite refers to a sat link tv.

Cable refers to a paid service provided by a Cable company.

All of these can use any form of RF Cable (DVB, ANT, LNE, etc) to transmit video and audio data, its not the cable that's important as you can get a adapter to change the connection to whatever you need.

The important part for cable is that it is a paid service and the video and audio data is encrypted because the cable provider doesn't want people splicing the connection and getting free cable so they give you a cable box which decrypts the data and outputs your cable service to your tv. They don't and wont give TV's the ability to decrypt their cable connection as they use the boxes to protect themselves from people who will illegally tap into their cable service.

Satellite is also a paid service here in Australia and it too is an encrypted transmission.

Its a standardized transmission method for all forms of over-air and cable video and audio which was last updated about 6-7 years ago I think, so if you have a tv from back then you would need a "HD' tuner box but every tv since then has the new transmission standard built-in but paid cable and sat providers encrypt their service which is why you need the additional box.

Your T-We box sounds just like a TiVo box or similar DVR, its not a new tuner format but it just has a built-in hard drive that records the video and audio and has its own processing system which gives you additional features. If your cable provider supplied it I am assuming they load their encryption software to allow decryption of their cable service also.

Not sure why you think most TV's don't output surround via HDMI Arc, my Samsung is about 5 years old now and it can output surround through the HDMI Arc and it wasn't the top of the range model it was mid-range I believe. Also because I'm fairly tech savy friends and family always call me up to help them setup their TV's and audio systems and I've setup low range 'Aldi' tv's with HDMI Arc and they also output surround and if they can do it I'm assuming every new tv out there can also.

All of these can use any form of RF Cable (DVB, ANT, LNE, etc) to transmit video and audio data, its not the cable that's important as you can get a adapter to change the connection to whatever you need.

The important part for cable is that it is a paid service and the video and audio data is encrypted because the cable provider doesn't want people splicing the connection and getting free cable so they give you a cable box which decrypts the data and outputs your cable service to your tv. They don't and wont give TV's the ability to decrypt their cable connection as they use the boxes to protect themselves from people who will illegally tap into their cable service.

sigh... Yes they do. ANY TV that's listed as DVC-C capable can receive and decrypt cable signals within the DVB-C standard, and any TV  listed as DVB-S/S2 compatible can receive and decrypt satellite signals. S/S2 TV's usually have two antenna plugs, one regular RF plug and one screw one(forgot the actual name right now) 

All these TV's in europe(US uses a slightly different standard I believe) comes with a CI+(regular CI for older models) module, allowing you to insert a CAM module and a decoder card, same as you put into the tuner boxes. If you have a HTPC with a TV tuner, this is the same CAM module you insert into the CI+ slot on that so it can decode the video on whatever DVB-T/C/S/S2 signal it receives. 

And no T-We has nothing to do with TiVo, it's a new system while it shares some functions with TiVo it's more than that. in any case that's irrelevant, the point is that the TV can't replicate the functionality anyway. 

I'm saying most TV's can't output surround on TOSLink and HDMI ARC because it's true. Read some home cinema sites for annoyances regarding TV's and functionality, and I've been selling TV's for quite a few years until recently. 

You're one TV is anecdotal evidence, basically you got lucky and got one of the few TV's where the producer wasn't an idiot. 

Tvs in th UK don't have built in Cable or Satellite capability that is compatible with a built in cam slot, we all require a seperate box to use those.