PS4 Media Player

Sneakily announced on the Official PlayStation Blog during their E3 2015 pre-show, Sony have now provided DLNA functionality to PS4 owners the world over through the new Media Player application that can be downloaded free of charge from the PlayStation Store later today.

To access it, a Media Player icon will appear in the PS4 content area, which when clicked on will take players to a link to a download from the PlayStation Store.

The Media Player works as any decent DLNA solution does, by connecting a USB stick into the PS4 or connecting to a media server in your home, the Media Player application turns the PS4 intro a true multimedia device.

Below are all the file types that the Media Player for PS4 supports:

File formats and codecs
Video

MKV:
Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
AVI:
Visual: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
MP4:
Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
Audio: AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
MPEG-2 TS:
Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2, MPEG2 Visual
Audio: MP2 (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
AVCHD: (.m2ts, .mts)

Photo

JPEG (based on DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21)
BMP
PNG

Music

MP3

http://www.psu.com/news/27150/Sony-launches-DLNA-support-for-PS4-with-new-media-player-functionality-released-today

Finally...

• Like 2

I thought game machines are only bought for one thing, to play games. I swear that's what we've been told.

1,118 replies and over 350k views for this https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/614188-ps3-media-server-universal-media-server-guide/

We're talking about playing our media, not overpriced subscription crap.

Game events are for showing games, I think that's what you've been told!

• Like 3

I thought game machines are only bought for one thing, to play games. I swear that's what we've been told.

I'm not sure but my Xbox has been doing this "DLNA" thing for a while and it plays games.

1,118 replies and over 350k views for this https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/614188-ps3-media-server-universal-media-server-guide/

We're talking about playing our media, not overpriced subscription crap.

Game events are for showing games, I think that's what you've been told!

i think you're trying to rewrite history. if I had a penny for everytime someone said ps4 was strictly a gaming machine,and how if they wanted media functionality they would buy a cheap media box, I would be on my own private island right now.

• Like 3

i think you're trying to rewrite history. if I had a penny for everytime someone said ps4 was strictly a gaming machine,and how if they wanted media functionality they would buy a cheap media box, I would be on my own private island right now.

I guess you should invest in someone to teach you what hyperbole is on your private Island! The comments aimed at MS were distaste at an overly one-sided focus on media and TV. No one says a balance can't exist, one which is obviously gaming first, additional console features second. Unless you'd rather have a console that can't support DLNA just to win an internet argument :/

• Like 4

I guess you should invest in someone to teach you what hyperbole is on your private Island! The comments aimed at MS were distaste at an overly one-sided focus on media and TV. No one says a balance can't exist, one which is obviously gaming first, additional console features second. Unless you'd rather have a console that can't support DLNA just to win an internet argument :/

I guess I'll invest in some video tutorials that I can stream on my gaming console,err I mean my media console.

• Like 2

God really vc you're better than that.

There's a difference between having DLNA support (something all consoles should have day 1 imo) and spending about half your press conference on TV features. Don't understand why some people are still in denial about the first press conference by MS. It was an extremely bad press conference specially for people outside of US.

Right now you sound like an old Turbografx 16 fan. Some of them preached for years that they were right and everyone else were wrong.

Luckily MS did learn and showed imo a stronger lineup than sony this year. Xbox one should likely beat the ps4 this fall. But it's not because sony is focussing on TV cause they are not. it's because well not much is comming this fall outside of exclusive content nobody care about.

I guess I'll invest in some video tutorials that I can stream on my gaming console,err I mean my media console.

GET AN AMAZON FIRE.

or Apple TV to keep Andy happy

The difference in Sony's approach is that DLNA was announced prior to their show from a blog and they spent a minute or two max talking about Vue.

They did not spend the majority of their event talking about these things like X1 did in the unveiling of a new console for the first time. We're two years in and Sony have done nothing but talk about games since.

Move on and get over what happened already.

• Like 3

It is messing up my video titles or Windows is...

"Add a Bluetooth device"

"Change device installation settings"

"Change hoe the mouse pointer looks when its moving"

"Change system sounds"

a few renamed titles of my YouTube downloads of Blender tutorials and music videos.

Hey Larry it works fine with latest universal media server. I'm sure the dev subjunk will now add formal support as well.

Can confirm you can play music while gaming.  Also, might want to update that it supports AAC (M4A) audio files as well.

You can play music while gaming.

I hate anything having to do with apple, so

That is an extremely juvenile comment. Have you actually used an Apple product for some extended period to base your views on?

As you will grow up, you will realise that no company can achieve perfection. We must choose the best product from every company without giving any one particular preference.

My PC: Core i5 based, which was built by me. Runs Windows 10 latest build.

My phones: iPhone 5S iOS 8.3 + LG G2 Android 5.0.1

Office: iMac (OSX 10.10.3 + Windows 8.1) dual boot.

NAS Server: Qnap TS-412 running a custom proprietary Linux based OS. (Love it btw)

I myself love to use products from various companies. I used to hate Apple too but I don't anymore.

On topic, I am disappointed that PS4 doesn't support DTS audio in MKV. Most people will be fine though.

I'm having problems with my USB actually working on the PS4.

I have a Kingston DataTraveler Locker+G3 16GB

I formatted it to FAT32, tried Exfat32 and the PS4 just say's this usb isn't supported.

Any clue in getting it to work?

Thanks.

For whatever reason, the media player doesnt see my PLEX server even though other devices do.  Anyone have success with PLEX with the media player? did you have to do anything special? 

dlna is enabled in the plex server

Hey Larry it works fine with latest universal media server. I'm sure the dev subjunk will now add formal support as well.

Yep was the first thing I tested last night.

UMS worked right away, as did my Synology NAS.

The lack of DTS could be a deal breaker for me though and keep me using my PS3. I have a nice home theater system, anytime I can use DTS I will.

Like you said though, hopefully the UMS dev fixes this. I will donate some more to him if he does!!!