PS4 Media Player

I have the PS4 connected to the TV via a HDMI switch, I think it causes issues with CEC. 

Good stuff Sony, better late than never.

The app works great for my DLNA content via Serviio server. Fast Forward is too fast when you press and hold R2 though, is there another fast forward method?

Not that I'm pointing fingers, but no DTS support for DLNA content?

Bit of a suprise as I thought Sony were very much "in-bed" with DTS as a format provider seeing as it's physically eteched onto my PS2 casing and splatterd all over my PS3's packaging.

Not that I'm pointing fingers, but no DTS support for DLNA content?

Bit of a suprise as I thought Sony were very much "in-bed" with DTS as a format provider seeing as it's physically eteched onto my PS2 casing and splatterd all over my PS3's packaging.

Don't think people understand what DTS is.

It is just an encoding for the multichannel PCM, its a compression for the audio track.

Most digital content surround sound is AC-3 (Dolby Digital) which is supported. If you have a Matroska container (MKV) with DTS encoded audio you'll probably have to covert it to AC-3 but MKV containers with DTS encoded audio are not very common considering it doesn't have the wide spread support that Dolby Digital does (AC-3). The PS4 Media Player does support surround sound via DLNA with the most common audio encoder used though.

Don't think people understand what DTS is.

It is just an encoding for the multichannel PCM, its a compression for the audio track.

Most digital content surround sound is AC-3 (Dolby Digital) which is supported. If you have a Matroska container (MKV) with DTS encoded audio you'll probably have to covert it to AC-3 but MKV containers with DTS encoded audio are not very common considering it doesn't have the wide spread support that Dolby Digital does (AC-3). The PS4 Media Player does support surround sound via DLNA with the most common audio encoder used though.

I understand what DTS is just fine - the majority of my bluray audio content is in DTS or DTS-HD (depending on year of purchase), which streams over DLNA just fine via Plex or Kodi currently. I just thought that as Sony have (traditionally) had a lot of support for DTS that it was strange not to see it supported for DLNA.

A tip for anyone using UMS. Sometimes you have to go to transcode and then no encoding on a file. Until UMS gets official PS4 support it messes up detection on some files.

I understand what DTS is just fine - the majority of my bluray audio content is in DTS or DTS-HD (depending on year of purchase), which streams over DLNA just fine via Plex or Kodi currently. I just thought that as Sony have (traditionally) had a lot of support for DTS that it was strange not to see it supported for DLNA.

Why not just stick the blu-ray into the PS4? It plays blu-rays and supports DTS that way.

Also Plex can transcode the audio from DTS to Dolby automatically for DLNA, not sure if Kodi does the same but you can have your blu-ray in your PC? to DLNA to your PS4 with surround sound using a custom DLNA profile to transcode the DTS audio.

It's only a audio encoding and Sony just released the app, I'm sure they will add support for it but its not a commonly used audio encoding for downloadable digital media so I'm assuming they just skipped it for now.

It's only a audio encoding and Sony just released the app, I'm sure they will add support for it but its not a commonly used audio encoding for downloadable digital media so I'm assuming they just skipped it for now.

He wasn't being unreasonable in the criticism though. Sony needs to hear this feedback in order to keep improving the experience. They have things to work on when it comes to the dlna implementation and codec support. I have no doubt they will improve this if they are interested in doing so.

Some PS4 support making it's way into this test build of UMS

http://www.spirton.com/uploads/UMS/UMS-67c7ad0.exe

Sadly the app overall just doesn't look like it's going to support everything the PS3 could with UMS until it's updated more.

Thanks, going to test this out.

I did figure out right away choosing No Encoding under the #Transcode folder really helped with files playing, but it is not a huge amount. I am NO DOUBT keeping my PS3 as my media player for the immediate future. Just have to at this point.

Thanks, going to test this out.

I did figure out right away choosing No Encoding under the #Transcode folder really helped with files playing, but it is not a huge amount. I am NO DOUBT keeping my PS3 as my media player for the immediate future. Just have to at this point.

Yeah choosing no encoding is the best option for now. They are working hard on the UMS forums just now.

I don't understand ppl saying DTS in mkv's are pretty rare. They're all over the place!

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure DTS allows for a much higher bitrate, hence better quality. So I'd rather keep my DTS tracks. This gives me headaches with my synology NAS tho. Since it's not able to decode DTS, every one of my clients has to be able to.

I don't understand ppl saying DTS in mkv's are pretty rare. They're all over the place!

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure DTS allows for a much higher bitrate, hence better quality. So I'd rather keep my DTS tracks. This gives me headaches with my synology NAS tho. Since it's not able to decode DTS, every one of my clients has to be able to.

It does, audio bitrate of 1.5mbps (DTS) vs 640kbs (AC3). The PS3 version of UMS is great because it allows the DTS to be passed straight to the receiver for decoding, instead of the PS3 decoding it (well technically the PS3 can't even decode DTS via DLNA, Subjunk uses a trick to pass PCM 2.0 to the PS3 with DTS hidden inside for the receiver to pickup on). Same for any AC3 only files you have. One added benefit to that as well is being able to bypass cinavia  :whistle: Because IIRC there is still no way to remove cinavia protection from an encoding that the PS3 will handle directly. Whereas your receiver most likely won't have cinavia protection.

Even if the PS4 gets DTS support officially, unless Subjunk can do something similar to the PS3 UMS the PS4 will forever remain inferior to the PS3 for DLNA.

We might need to wait for DLNA 2.0 to hit to see any real progress on these consoles.

It does, audio bitrate of 1.5mbps (DTS) vs 640kbs (AC3). The PS3 version of UMS is great because it allows the DTS to be passed straight to the receiver for decoding, instead of the PS3 decoding it (well technically the PS3 can't even decode DTS via DLNA, Subjunk uses a trick to pass PCM 2.0 to the PS3 with DTS hidden inside for the receiver to pickup on). Same for any AC3 only files you have. One added benefit to that as well is being able to bypass cinavia  :whistle: Because IIRC there is still no way to remove cinavia protection from an encoding that the PS3 will handle directly. Whereas your receiver most likely won't have cinavia protection.

Even if the PS4 gets DTS support officially, unless Subjunk can do something similar to the PS3 UMS the PS4 will forever remain inferior to the PS3 for DLNA.

We might need to wait for DLNA 2.0 to hit to see any real progress on these consoles.

PCM doesn't have DTS inside it, DTS is a compression algorithm for PCM. PCM is inside DTS, also Dolby (AC-3) and various other compression algorithms.

The PS4 does officially support DTS and DTS-HD, its just the media player app doesn't support it (Not sure if its just DLNA or also USB Media) which should realistically be a quick and easy software fix as the hardware already supports it, but will probably take a year or so judging by the amount of time it took for this app to release.

PCM doesn't have DTS inside it, DTS is a compression algorithm for PCM. PCM is inside DTS, also Dolby (AC-3) and various other compression algorithms.

The PS4 does officially support DTS and DTS-HD, its just the media player app doesn't support it (Not sure if its just DLNA or also USB Media) which should realistically be a quick and easy software fix as the hardware already supports it, but will probably take a year or so judging by the amount of time it took for this app to release.

I know it doesn't. The trick involving getting DTS working on the PS3 over DLNA does some sort of weird trick to make the PS3 think it's receiving PCM 2.0, so it thinks it's already decoded (as PCM is lossless) and passes it straight to the receiver. Once it hits the receiver, it picks it up correctly as DTS.

Happy Sony finally got this done.

But it will get no use on my PS4 though.

I have Roku Boxes all over now.

And my 360 also serves this purpose on a part time basis as well.

I wish they'd make a Kodi (XBMC) app for the PS4. That would rock.

I agree Kodi is an awesome media app.

I have it om my PC which outputs via hdmi to my amplifier then TV. I use my iPad, iPhone or Android phone to control it or look through my media library and it's quick, easy and looks great plus its theme-able so you can pick a theme you like.

Would be great if they built a kodi app for the PS4.

• 2 weeks later...

UMS 5.2.0 is out

Changes since 5.1.4:

General:
Made tsMuxeR use FFmpeg instead of MEncoder
Made tsMuxeR transcode audio to AAC if the renderer expects AAC
Improved FFmpeg responsiveness during fast-forward and rewind
Improved automatic rescaling
Fixed detection of aspect ratios
Merged the install/uninstall Windows Service buttons into one button (thanks, taconaut!)
Add zoom/fit to web image viewer
Fixed a bug with sending external subtitles
Fixed MIME type finalization when parsing media
Fixed transcoding to AAC via MEncoder
Support late resolution of media length
Improved the accuracy of video metadata
Added ThumbnailWidth and ThumbnailHeight renderer settings
Added support for file extensions: AC3, AMR and TTA (thanks, ler0y!)
Fixed custom device configuration loading
Added more logging
Fixed folders not showing if they were previously empty, with "hide empty folders" enabled (thanks, jensaarai!)
Cleaned up the titles in the transcode folder in some cases
Various minor improvements/fixes
Expanded code testing for improved stability
Renderers:
Added support for Sony PlayStation 4
Improved thumbnail display on Panasonic TVs
Improved thumbnail display on Microsoft Xbox One
Languages:
Updated English translation (thanks, Nadahar!)
Updated Norwegian translation (thanks, Nadahar!)
External Components:
Rolled back FFmpeg on OS X to fix transcoding for some users
Updated Netty to 4.0.29

http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

Edited by Andrew

5.2.0 is out

You might want to note at the top it's for Universal Media Server and not the PS4 Media Player.

Maybe it's just me but when I see a post (especially from the OP) in a thread titled "PS4 Media Player" with a change log it makes me think the change log is for the PS4 Media Player.

Clearly the log doesn't make much sense in that case but it doesn't really ever say what it IS for other than in the url at the end.

You might want to note at the top it's for Universal Media Server and not the PS4 Media Player.

Maybe it's just me but when I see a post (especially from the OP) in a thread titled "PS4 Media Player" with a change log it makes me think the change log is for the PS4 Media Player.

Clearly the log doesn't make much sense in that case but it doesn't really ever say what it IS for other than in the url at the end.

A decent amount of us here use UMS with the PS4 Media Player. That is why it is posted in this thread. The two go hand in hand.

A decent amount of us here use UMS with the PS4 Media Player. That is why it is posted in this thread. The two go hand in hand.

I'm not sure how you got from what I said to me saying it doesn't belong in the thread.

I totally agree it goes hand in hand with the topic I just though it would be nice if at the top of his post (still in this thread) he said something like "New Universal Media Server Released"... like right before the changelog starts

That way it's clear what the change log is for instead of having to figure it out from the url at the end of the post.

If you disagree that's fine, it was just a suggestion, no big deal.