Final Fantasy VII Remake Comes to PS4

Eighteen years and three PlayStations later, Final Fantasy VII is getting a remake. A real one. For PlayStation 4, with other platforms to follow.

Square Enix announced the news during Sony

Final Fantasy VII consisted of low poly 3d characters placed in prerendered backdrops and full motion video.  That is the reason it wasn't remade.  That was a pretty damn good reason for it not being remade.  I hope they get their money back on this investment because they pretty much had to recreate the entire game....and add voice acting too.  Almost forgot about that.

• Like 1

Haven't played that one in like 10 years... quite interested in a remake if it's done well.  Better get it right though, has a sentimental factor that's a mile high with an awful lot of gamers.

Final Fantasy VII consisted of low poly 3d characters placed in prerendered backdrops and full motion video.  That is the reason it wasn't remade.  That was a pretty damn good reason for it not being remade.  I hope they get their money back on this investment because they pretty much had to recreate the entire game....and add voice acting too.  Almost forgot about that.

It'll smash FF13 sales, and if it somehow made enough to spawn FF13-2 and Lightning Returns, this will print money in comparison. It's still their best selling FF title - http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games

IMO, they have to do a lot less work than people realize.

- They already have the Crystal Engine for modern consoles.

- They can use a lot of monsters and other models from the recent games (FF15 in development and FF13).

- Due to the FF7 movie, they have a lot of models and assets for any FMVs and could potentially scale them down for in game.

- They can also take a lot of the remastered music from the movie.

- All of the data for monsters, story, events, etc are available from the original game.

• Like 2

Retelling the FFVII story with PS4-level graphics and gameplay experience? I am all for this. Sad news is that we probably won't be playing this for at least a year, probably Q4 2016.

Retelling the FFVII story with PS4-level graphics and gameplay experience? I am all for this. Sad news is that we probably won't be playing this for at least a year, probably Q4 2016.

I doubt it, they just started working on it. They haven't even announce a release date for FF15. But if they can get it done in one and a half years. Good for them, but I seriously doubt it. Square Enix likes to take their sweet time, Square even want on record that couple years ago that the a remake would take up to much of squares resources and time. If we're lucky it will come out 2017.

http://kotaku.com/5551606/how-long-would-a-final-fantasy-vii-remake-take

According to Square Enix honcho Yoichi Wada, they are often asked about a Final Fantasy VII remake. It took Square Enix between three and four years to get recently released Final Fantasy XIII to a high level of quality. "To get FFVII to something like FFXII," the exec tweeted, "it would take ten times as long".

I doubt it, they just started working on it. They haven't even announce a release date for FF15. But if they can get it done in one and a half years. Good for them, but I seriously doubt it. Square Enix likes to take their sweet time, Square even want on record that couple years ago that the a remake would take up to much of squares resources and time. If we're lucky it will come out 2017.

That's a good point. If Square is still working on FFXV, they'll either be working on both at the same time, or finishing XV first. Either way, I suppose Square isn't allocating all their resources to FFVII remake right now.

Alright, I'm adjusting my expectations to Q4 2017. :cry:  Way to crush my dreams! :p

Yeah and gameplay wise it just doesn't hold up very well. Story was great though.

• 5 months later...