Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

It was just announced by Gio Corsi during their Live from E3 Stream on twitch. It was something to gauge interest and since it hit it's goal they are officially partnering up to help fund and develop with YS Net.

Via http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1064673

Video to follow when Twitch stream is archived (can't timestamp it when live)

Excellent news, but sad it won't reach Xbox. Shenmue 2 was a hidden gem on Xbox 1 after the DC died. Starting to think the Gaf admin is right about FFVII too now.

Excellent news, but sad it won't reach Xbox. Shenmue 2 was a hidden gem on Xbox 1 after the DC died. Starting to think the Gaf admin is right about FFVII too now.

Considering it's unlikely Sega will give up the rights to 1/2, it sucks a little for anyone who will rummage up a copy of 2 on the Xbox (as it's bound to go fairly cheap). Not sure technically how it compares to the DC version.

A world where Sony don't unnecessarily block PC releases is a start though.

What did the GAF admin say?  I've missed something...

What did the GAF admin say?  I've missed something...

Musing (we can't prove it, yet) that FF7 has gone down the same route, PC/PS4.

Considering it's unlikely Sega will give up the rights to 1/2, it sucks a little for anyone who will rummage up a copy of 2 on the Xbox (as it's bound to go fairly cheap). Not sure technically how it compares to the DC version.

A world where Sony don't unnecessarily block PC releases is a start though.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather it was funded by Sony than left in publisher limbo like it has been the last 15 years.

Someone was bound to be left out though, whether it was MS, Sony or even Nintendo. I'm surprised the latter didn't try sooner considering how cozy they are with each other these days.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather it was funded by Sony than left in publisher limbo like it has been the last 15 years.

Someone was bound to be left out though, whether it was MS, Sony or even Nintendo. I'm surprised the latter didn't try sooner considering how cozy they are with each other these days.

If the budgets said for 1/2 are correct, I just think no one wanted to touch it and Sega were clearly not for giving up the IP even although they were doing jack with it. Since Sega have done a good job of crumbling in recent times with crap Sonic games, I guess something got worked out eventually to allow a new game.

I could see Yu Suzuki being someone who does not want a publisher going hands on with his vision, and that can be hard when pubs just care about how to make something have mainstream appeal.

Who knows all in, we might never know everything that has been going on behind the scenes.

Yu and Mark Cerny have been cuddly for a while now though - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/219314/Video_Shenmue_postmortem_from_Yu_Suzuki_and_Mark_Cerny.php

Hope this doesn't mean the Kickstarter campaign will get cancelled; probably wouldn't be able to pre-order it for $29 elsewhere.

Hope this doesn't mean the Kickstarter campaign will get cancelled; probably wouldn't be able to pre-order it for $29 elsewhere.

Nah, I refuse to believe this deal hadn't already been made way in advance of the kickstarter reveal. In the tiny chance that it failed to meet 2m, Sony had an escape. Announcing it on stage at E3 pretty much guaranteed KS success.

If they do not introduce a physical copy reward on KS, then it's all simply digital codes, and retail sales will be protected. Heck, backers will probably double dip for a physical copy. Calculated business risks all round :p

On the kickstarter page it said it was only coming to PS4 and PC.

Musing (we can't prove it, yet) that FF7 has gone down the same route, PC/PS4.

I've been saying the same thing, although people would probably point to Win10 streaming to X1 as a way they'd get it anyway.

So if Sony is funding it, why did they need a Kickstarter of all things?!

Watch the video above

If Sony is dierectly funding it, they really need to update the kickstarter page.  Plus on that same page, they explicitly say that other platforms have not been decided yet.

So unless Sony is going to allow them to consider other platforms, then that info is now false.

If Sony is dierectly funding it, they really need to update the kickstarter page.  Plus on that same page, they explicitly say that other platforms have not been decided yet.

So unless Sony is going to allow them to consider other platforms, then that info is now false.

Not if they have Vita in mind :p

LOLWUT

"Created for modern platforms (PC and PlayStation 4) and built in Unreal 4, Shenmue 3 will continue the legacy of Shenmue."

"If this project reaches its funding goal, Shenmue 3 will be available on the PS4 and PC."

"DIGITAL COPY A digital copy of Shenmue 3 for PC or PS4. Includes the $5 Reward."

~

LOLWUT

"Created for modern platforms (PC and PlayStation 4) and built in Unreal 4, Shenmue 3 will continue the legacy of Shenmue."

"If this project reaches its funding goal, Shenmue 3 will be available on the PS4 and PC."

"DIGITAL COPY A digital copy of Shenmue 3 for PC or PS4. Includes the $5 Reward."

Um, I'm not lying, look under the FAQ.

"Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet."

So that at least makes it sound like other platforms are possible.

I'm so happy that this is finally being made.

But its the final chapter in the Shenmue trilogy.

Unless some type "refresher" is implemented, there will be a lot of people turned off because they won't have a clue of what's going on.

Maybe Sony should consider funding the entire project, and include Shenmue I & II as well.

I'm so happy that this is finally being made.

But its the final chapter in the Shenmue trilogy.

Unless some type "refresher" is implemented, there will be a lot of people turned off because they won't have a clue of what's going on.

Maybe Sony should consider funding the entire project, and include Shenmue I & II as well.

They could do what Yakuza did and just fill in the story with a prologue. Wouldn't be the first time a series came to PS after skipping the first entry. Hasn't harmed any franchises yet.

Shenmue I wasn't on Xbox either, so you're going to need 3 consoles at least to follow.

Shenmue I wasn't on Xbox either, so you're going to need 3 consoles at least to follow.

one dead (DC), other old (Xbox) and the other new (PS4)? i'll pass thanks.

Shenmue was one of the greatest games of DC, but because of Sega's limited and still dumbed vision it still isn't possible to play this tale in a modern console, which is a shame.

They could do what Yakuza did and just fill in the story with a prologue. Wouldn't be the first time a series came to PS after skipping the first entry. Hasn't harmed any franchises yet.

It's a stretch goal for the KS to do a video recap IIRC.

Looks like the funding is starting to dry up, and the project might see Xbox One.

The Kickstarter page was updated with a little info on exclusivity:

"The answer to the question about additional platform versions now reads: 'Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet. (this part added:)If other platform versions were added as rewards, an announcement would be made on the update page'."

"This suggests that an Xbox One version could be added as a stretch goal reward."

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/shenm...x_one_version_could_be_added_as_a_reward.html

"The answer to the question about additional platform versions now reads: 'Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet. (this part added:)If other platform versions were added as rewards, an announcement would be made on the update page'."

"This suggests that an Xbox One version could be added as a stretch goal reward."

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/shenm...x_one_version_could_be_added_as_a_reward.html

Well its pretty obvious that people were interested in other platform support, just read some of the comments on Kickstarter itself. Then if you followed the last Reddit session, the question was brought up a lot.

I'm starting to think that some of the outside funding that Yu Suzuki is seeking involves other platforms. Nintendo and MS might be involved in those talks in some way. If he truly is free to pursue other platforms, then adding that as a stretch goal makes a lot of sense.