Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

I bet they're obviously publishing the PS4 version but without IP restrictions or full exclusivity (since X1 [and maybe even NX]) versions are hinted at.  I bet MS or Ninty would have to step up to publish those unless the PS4/PC versions do gangbuster business and YSNet can self-publish on those consoles.

I want to know how much the game cost to develop when released. Just seems like they are using Kickstarter to see if there is any interest (I want it) and a $30 for a game that will cost $60 at release.

I want to know how much the game cost to develop when released. Just seems like they are using Kickstarter to see if there is any interest (I want it) and a $30 for a game that will cost $60 at release.

For comparison, the first Shenmue cost close to $100 million adusted for inflation.

So that new statement doesn't really change the unknown nature of Sony's deal. Sony is supporting development and most likely publishing for the ps4, but there is no clarification on what that means for other platforms.

There are hints and people are making assumptions, but its just weird why Yu Suzuki can't for legal reasons, or won't for other reasons, just say it in plain language to get past all of the talking that is not focused on making a great game. Eventually, this info will have to come out, so its just a matter of time.

So that new statement doesn't really change the unknown nature of Sony's deal. Sony is supporting development and most likely publishing for the ps4, but there is no clarification on what that means for other platforms.

There are hints and people are making assumptions, but its just weird why Yu Suzuki can't for legal reasons, or won't for other reasons, just say it in plain language to get past all of the talking that is not focused on making a great game. Eventually, this info will have to come out, so its just a matter of time.

It could be legal reasons from Sony, from Sega, or even from MS or Ninty themselves.

It could be legal reasons from Sony, from Sega, or even from MS or Ninty themselves.

Well, MS got the exclusivity on Shenmue 2 in the states. It never released on Dreamcast outside of the EU/Japan, and the English Dub was also exclusive to the Xbox release (EU DC version is Japanese dub). I'm guessing they could have done something similar to what Sony have done for Shenmue 3 if they had wanted to, but who knows what the innards of the business deal is right now (or even if MS are able to be a funder).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The KS has finished! Was a success.

I backed it at $60 for a physical PS4 copy. First thing I've ever backed on KS.