[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

It'll probably pop up at some point, just wait for it or maybe grab some ISO's if you can, I remember a post saying they have ISO images out already for it.

I tried stopping and restarting the WU service, I tried deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder and nothing still...

It seems to just be pushed out in waves. I got the update almost immediately, but I remember older builds taking up to two days before I could get them. Just try periodically throughout the day, it'll show up eventually.

Can someone please tell me how I can force the update to appear?

They've said updates may take time to appear after changing rings, so you might just need to let it be for a day or two.

Other than the new UI tweaks has anyone else noticed anything else yet compared to 10240?  Performance better?  App run better?  I'm wondering if they've tweaked the APIs more at this point or not.

Still waiting here. I was chatting with Tech support and we managed to get a couple updates to appear, but that's all, not the new build yet. I have Windows 10 Home, hope that's not a restriction.

Other than the new UI tweaks has anyone else noticed anything else yet compared to 10240?  Performance better?  App run better?  I'm wondering if they've tweaked the APIs more at this point or not.

Yeah, everything seems quicker to load up at least.  I don't know about running better elsewise.

It's just the start, they'll keep adding things to it, I think the delay with the whole title bar and start menu color bit was do to the new Windows Store apps probably not following the color setting for their title bars.   I expect next up they'll let you set the start menu and taskbar to different colors, for now I'm fine with having them all be the same, it's how it is for me in 8.1.

I hope that they'll add the blur effect to the taskbar.

I was using the Wikipedia app (available from the Windows Store), and noticed that it uses the same colored title bar the rest of the Win32 apps do. So, it would seem Modern apps can either use their own colored title bar, or use whatever the system currently has in use.

I think Windows Store apps supporting the OS set title bar is something they finally added in 10525, I think we didn't get the options in 10240 specifically because Store apps didn't support it, so MS just made everything white/gray by default as a stop gap.  

Yeah, I noticed the same. What I think looks pretty look is the Store, now that the title bar uses the system color and the back button does too, it looks pretty neat.

It shouldn't be hard for them to add in the other color options people are asking for, i.e., having the start menu and taskbar one color and your title bars/live tiles another.   After that I'd say we're done as far as color options go, don't know what else is needed.

I think Windows Store apps supporting the OS set title bar is something they finally added in 10525, I think we didn't get the options in 10240 specifically because Store apps didn't support it, so MS just made everything white/gray by default as a stop gap.  

I think this is the case, too. Store now has the same colored title bars as my Win32 apps, and I mentioned the Wikipedia app earlier.

It shouldn't be hard for them to add in the other color options people are asking for, i.e., having the start menu and taskbar one color and your title bars/live tiles another.   After that I'd say we're done as far as color options go, don't know what else is needed.

They took away the fine-grained color selection sliders that were in Vista through 8. If you choose to set your own accent color, you have a limited choice. Before, you had millions of possible choices by playing with the hue settings, etc. The actual UI for this is still in Win10, but who knows if it will actually work.

There could be yet another reason why they took that settings away/hid it, with windows 10, it could be a limitation in the live tile system I'm guessing, maybe there's only a set number of colors they can use and they have to add support for new ones manually?   If something weird like that is the case then I can understand why they took the sliders away.

There could be yet another reason why they took that settings away/hid it, with windows 10, it could be a limitation in the live tile system I'm guessing, maybe there's only a set number of colors they can use and they have to add support for new ones manually?   If something weird like that is the case then I can understand why they took the sliders away.

Hmm.. I think Microsoft is choosing preset colors, because Windows Phone has preset colors. Also, they can control what colors are shown in screenshots/screencasts etc. Just my thought though..

Live tiles were in Win8 and you were able to choose any color you wanted. So it doesn't make sense that suddenly, it can't be done in Win10. They likely took away the functionality for the same reason you can't change the title bar text font anymore: for the sake of simplification (i.e. dumbing down the UI).

Live tiles were in Win8 and you were able to choose any color you wanted. So it doesn't make sense that suddenly, it can't be done in Win10. They likely took away the functionality for the same reason you can't change the title bar text font anymore: for the sake of simplification (i.e. dumbing down the UI).

Choosing any color you wanted in Windows 8.x had zero effect on live tiles, they all had their own different preset colors which people complained about.  Now with Windows 10 it's more like WP and the color you do pick is the color all the tiles (unless it's a fixed color/image from the developer) is used, it's different from how it used to be.

It's not a limitation of the tile system, tiles can take any color, after all, Windows does have a setting to pick the most prominent color of your wallpaper, and that can be any color.

It's not a limitation of the tile system, tiles can take any color, after all, Windows does have a setting to pick the most prominent color of your wallpaper, and that can be any color.

I'm tossing out ideas, if there's a better reason, or any reason as to why they took it away then great.  If not then it's just them dropping things and not having enough time to re-add them to the new settings app, which could be the reason as well.

anyone had their Intel Bluetooth stop working with the new 10525 and 10532 builds?

Seems like every since I installed those builds the Bluetooth is giving me code 10

When i installed 10525, and things finished up, I had no network connection.  I unplugged the cable from my NIC, plugged it into my 2nd NIC, and things worked.  After installing, 10532, the same thing happened, and I only had a network connection after switching the cable back to NIC #1.

Also, in both builds, after the install finishes, I've had to disconnect and reconnect my DVI cable from my video card in order to get my monitor working.  And, anytime I do a restart, I have to unplug/ replug my DVI cable before the monitor displays anything.

I know these are likely driver issues, but they're a pain.  Actually, the monitor issue has been ongoing since installing the very first Windows 10 Insiders pre-release build way back when.  It's never been fixed for my system.  Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti & HP LP3065 monitor.