[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Anyone notice any type of performance boosts with 11099 yet compared to the newest TH2 build the public has?  They talked about continued optimization of the OneCore so I'm expecting the OS to keep getting faster and smoother going into redstone.

13 minutes ago, George P said:

Anyone notice any type of performance boosts with 11099 yet compared to the newest TH2 build the public has?  They talked about continued optimization of the OneCore so I'm expecting the OS to keep getting faster and smoother going into redstone.

Yes I have. My boot time has been shaved in half. Programs seem to launch faster, but I'm just hoping that's not a placebo. Some things got worse, for instance, Oracle VM virtual machines report errors I've never had before, but nothing a ninja-style google search hasn't been able to cure. Games seem to load quicker too, and since I'm mostly a steam user, really helps. Cortana....well, haven't used her yet, but I plan on setting that up in a little while. She went plain stupid on me on the Nov. build right before the upgrade. Me: "Hey Cortana, open weather (I only have the Weather app from a default install)..." Cortana: "Sure, open which app?" When it all worked perfectly before, and I changed NOTHING. But that's why we're insiders, right? To spot the little things and report them?

Since updating rebooting, I always get "Error in WSClient.dll Missing entry: ResfreshBanned AppsList" on every startup. Anyone know what that is?

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:44 PM, tsupersonic said:

Seriously, what a major oversight...How does a software giant like Microsoft allow something like that happen? Pretty inexcusable, even for an insider build. 

Oversight? They knew and warned about it when they released the build. This is the result of us asking for frequent builds.

And it sounds like we'll be getting builds faster soon, now that the backend changes to the build process are done.  So expect even more wonky builds probably, or just more over to the slow ring.

New batch of app updates appeared.

News now has a dark mode (for articles only). Still rough around the edges.

Weather has gained a dedicated Refresh button (previously, clicking the house icon would often trigger a refresh if the data were stale).

11102 is on fast ring correct? I'll stay on the stable slow ring. Frank B's link says a host of issues for gamers like me going to full screen and others

Known issues:

When we went live with last week’s PC build, Insiders discovered a bug where the cache for Insider Hub wasn’t properly refreshing – preventing new content from showing up in a timely manner. We’ll include known issues with our blog posts as well as in Insider Hub until the bug is resolved.

• Some PC games will crash switching from windowed mode to full screen, upon game resolution change, or upon launch due to a bug in Windows graphics stack. We have observed this with The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed, and Metal Gear Solid V but it may occur with other titles as well.
  • With this build (and with the last build), applications such as Narrator, Magnifier, and third-party assistive technologies may experience intermittent issues or crashes. If you rely on screen readers or other software, you should not use this build. This issue will be fixed with the next build.
  • You might see a WSClient.dll error dialog after logging in. We’re working on a fix for this but as a workaround, you can run the following in Command Prompt with administrative rights: schtasks /delete /TN “\Microsoft\Windows\WS\WSRefreshBannedAppsListTask” /F
  • While attempting to update to this build, your PC may show a message that your wireless card is not compatible with Windows 10. The workaround is to visit the support page for your PC or wireless card and install the newest driver that is available.
  • The Connect button does not show up in Action Center.

Anyone on 14251 now?  How's it compare to the current public Nov 1511 build everyone else has?   I figure with the large bump to align the code bases between desktop and mobile that most, if not all, of the OneCore work is now done.

If I'm right, then the first preview build to go out in February should be the one that has some new UI/features in it.

2 hours ago, George P said:

Anyone on 14251 now?  How's it compare to the current public Nov 1511 build everyone else has?   I figure with the large bump to align the code bases between desktop and mobile that most, if not all, of the OneCore work is now done.

If I'm right, then the first preview build to go out in February should be the one that has some new UI/features in it.

I like it overall, but it has some odd behavior on some RPG Maker or Wolf RPG titles on my box.  I'm kind of amused that they're using a version of Flash that isn't even mentioned on Adobe Labs (21)...not much else to say I guess.  It works.

i just bumped into a chrome 50 rundll error after upgrading to this version. I reverted to beta 49 and disabled MBAE and now Chrome works again. IE also crashed randomly. Cortana is creating some errors too in the eventviewer ... seems to be buggier overall

another one .. tried to install Shark007 3.2 codecs and Icaros LAV codec does not register:

Faulting application name: IcarosConfig.exe, version: 2.9.9.403, time stamp: 0x563d0521
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.14251.1000, time stamp: 0x56a546c6

On 2016-01-31 at 0:46 PM, UnclePritchard said:

another one .. tried to install Shark007 3.2 codecs and Icaros LAV codec does not register:

Faulting application name: IcarosConfig.exe, version: 2.9.9.403, time stamp: 0x563d0521
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.14251.1000, time stamp: 0x56a546c6

Use this one, it's quite old but works fine. Got the link from the author.

http://www.filesetups.com/windows/multimedia/advanced-codecs-5.2.5

I'm getting a new SSD in tomorrow. I haven't had to reinstall Windows 10 yet though. When I do it, do I just use my Microsoft ID and no product key? I assume just a new SSD won't require a new license right?

Also, what is the latest version that I can grab an ISO of?

21 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I'm getting a new SSD in tomorrow. I haven't had to reinstall Windows 10 yet though. When I do it, do I just use my Microsoft ID and no product key? I assume just a new SSD won't require a new license right?

Also, what is the latest version that I can grab an ISO of?

Use your Windows 7 or 8.x key to install Windows 10 if it asks for a key... unless you are an Insider, if so, you can use your MS ID to skip the key and your Windows will be activated right way.

10586 is the latest public build. I could be wrong.. I have not been to Insider in awhile because I changed it to slow build.

3 hours ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Use your Windows 7 or 8.x key to install Windows 10 if it asks for a key... unless you are an Insider, if so, you can use your MS ID to skip the key and your Windows will be activated right way.

10586 is the latest public build. I could be wrong.. I have not been to Insider in awhile because I changed it to slow build.

Pretty sure you're still an insider unless you leave it. Slow and Fast are both insider rings.

Just now, Grinch said:

Pretty sure you're still an insider unless you leave it. Slow and Fast are both insider rings.

Yeah I think you are right. Anyways, I found my install.esd file and used the decrypter to make an ISO which came in sized at 3,048,214KB. I thought Win ISO's were usually bigger but I made a boot USB with it and it looks OK. Does it sound right?

Also, on a side note does anyone know what key gives you the boot options menu on an Asus Rampage III mobo?

Just now, Grinch said:

I know that. I didn't say I left... I said I have not been to Insider program in awhile.

Been on iMac most of time..

Just now, TAZMINATOR said:

I know that. I didn't say I left... I said I have not been to Insider program in awhile.

Been on iMac most of time..

I have both too. It is SO MUCH better working in OS X than Win 10 isn't it?

1 minute ago, patseguin said:

I have both too. It is SO MUCH better working in OS X than Win 10 isn't it?

It's up to you depends on how you use it for.   I have Windows in VM, though.

I use Windows for built-in apps... I use iMac for photography and other things.