Found fossil skull, no idea what it is?

I'll be the first to admit, I am a complete novice - I saw pointed molars and that meateater - but you have already convinced me you know more than me

I thought deer family, cow, maybe large dog - but like I said - wild guesses.

yea, I really do not know what it is either aside from the molars being that of a herbivore or possibly a omnivore (stuff I learned from anatomy classes...though I've never taken classes relating to zoology).  Could be any of the animals you listed...I really have no clue either.   :)

Edit to my prior post ...   "must"  was meant to read "mush"

"grinding down grass into mush"

You might be able to ask Emily Graslie who works at the Field Museum in Chicago.  https://twitter.com/ehmee

Those are probably a set of herbivore teeth.  Sheep, cattle and other herbivores have those distinct ridges (which some here are saying are "sharp") which are effective at grinding down grass into must making it easier to swallow. 

Hard to tell with such few teeth being shown.  Omnivores typical have different types of teeth located throughout...but the "fossil" could be incomplete?  I'm almost certain these do not belong to a carnivore.

Just looking at these few images...I would say you have an herbivore but no clue on what species.  Emily could probably identify or point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the information, I will see if I can ask her. I will respond with results.

to add another completely uneducated guess, I'll go for 'prey' animal (unsure about carnivore or herbivore)

reason: if those are the animal's eyes, they're set wide, to the side of the head, for quick 'over the shoulder views to make sure a 'predator' isn't hunting them

(again, this is guesswork on my part, using modern animals as a comparison)

to add another completely uneducated guess, I'll go for 'prey' animal (unsure about carnivore or herbivore)

reason: if those are the animal's eyes, they're set wide, to the side of the head, for quick 'over the shoulder views to make sure a 'predator' isn't hunting them

(again, this is guesswork on my part, using modern animals as a comparison)

I get the feeling your correct on this, the eye sockets are both damaged and filled with sandstone so its hard to get too much of an idea on shape and exact placement, but they do seem to be to the side. 

She responded that she had no idea and to take it to a museum. I will probably do that as my curiosity is getting the best of me :).

ahhh...sorry.  Was worth a shot anyway.  Hopefully you have a museum close by!

Is it a skeleton or a fossil?  A fossil is essentially a rock.

It is definitely a fossil and solid rock. The only material that doesn't appear to be completely rock is the teeth.

She responded that she had no idea and to take it to a museum. I will probably do that as my curiosity is getting the best of me :).

OK now this is getting interesting.

The expert is baffled, we are picking @ straws, I am actually anxious to find out what this is

did you do it?

OK now this is getting interesting.

The expert is baffled, we are picking @ straws, I am actually anxious to find out what this is

oh don't worry, there are plenty of "experts" on the internet, specially on Neowin... :p

OP: wtf are you doing? this is more important! Hurry up!

• Like 2

oh don't worry, there are plenty of "experts" on the internet, specially on Neowin... :p

OP: wtf are you doing? this is more important! Hurry up!

I agree

That is either a Neobond Fossil, Warwagon Fossil or hmmm let me see VictorRambo fossil :laugh:

• Like 2