The sixth mass extinction on Earth has officially begun...

The sixth mass extinction on Earth has officially begun and could threaten humanity's existence, scientists warn
  • Species are disappearing up to about 100 times faster than normal 
  • Warn it could take Earth millions of years to recover
  • Say humanity would likely disappear early on in the process

We are entering a mass extinction that threatens humanity's existence, researchers have declared.

Researchers say a new study shows 'without any significant doubt' that we are entering the sixth great mass extinction on earth.

The study says that the window for conserving threatened species is rapidly closing.  

'The study shows without any significant doubt that we are now entering the sixth great mass extinction event,' said Paul Ehrlich, the Bing Professor of Population Studies in biology and a senior fellow at the Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment who led the research.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3131891/The-sixth-mass-extinction-officially-begun-threaten-humanity-s-existence-scientists-warn.html

Yes! The sooner humanity disappears, the better. Did people really think we could treat this planet like a toilet forever and not face any consequences? The make-believe man in the clouds would just take care of everything, right? Not to mention how humans treat each other.

Good riddance. Chalk it up as one of nature's failed experiments.

• Like 1

Nothing will change until it's too late.  This earth isn't built to sustain billions of people.  As more nations become developed they will need more raw materials and the destruction will only accelerate.  Not sure why this topic would be in conspiracy theory though...

• Like 3

Ok, Lets meet back here in this very thread in 50 years time, should neowin still be running ( i hope so) and post the findings.

see you in 50 years :)

Nice. Move it to Conspiracy and bury your head in the sand. No matter. Within 50 years, it won't matter anyway. :)

the little problem with this, is people have being saying stuff like this for thousands of years. DEFINITIVE PREDICTIONS OF IMPEDING DOOM....

somehow we are still here.  what is better, dwell on our eventual demise?

or just keep optimistic about it.  dwelling on it, does not help you one bit. since you said seem to imply it is inevitable anyway. might as well not worry about it then.

reading stuff like that will just keep you depressed for all the last years you have left.  also it will not help you one bit.    so ###### it.

unless you like being depressed... in which case:  

yay_we__re_doomed_by_starfire1423-d3g5f6

• Like 5

Nothing will change until it's too late.  This earth isn't built to sustain billions of people.  As more nations become developed they will need more raw materials and the destruction will only accelerate.  Not sure why this topic would be in conspiracy theory though...

That's why natural selection should've been left in charge. Why protect idiots? 50 years I won't be alive, at least I hope. I'm 26 now, I hope to make it to 100, but I have doubts. :)

• Like 2

I agree with most of you comments (I believe the earth can sustain billions...though with help from human minds).  Burning of fossil fuels, pollution, destroying the environment ... etc., is something that we need to reverse before it does truly get out of hand. Increasing focus on alternative fuel efficiency and developing more biodegradable products is essential.

We'll probably all die from Keurig K-Cups anyway.

Here is another article from NewScientist ... 

The meek may, as the Bible says, inherit the Earth. But the spineless are going extinct. While vertebrate species like mammals and birds are mostly surviving the human-dominated epoch of Anthropocene better than expected, invertebrate species are disappearing in droves.

Some 7 per cent of non-marine animals may already be gone, according to a new assessment.

Conservationists have estimated that up to 100 species are disappearing from the planet every day because of human activity

• Like 1

The earth wasn't built. And it can support 20 fold more people under the right conditions. Luckily we won't have to, Even though we are in a population curve, in 1st world countries, we are actually have population decrease. Once third world nations hit the current level of development that we have now, they too will start to decrease. The world will peak out and then slowly lower naturally.

It's called natural selection. Yes, we're speeding the process, but no way as much as this article states. We'll also be extinct at some point in the future, so what? Remember that Jurassic Park quote? "Life always finds a way".

yay_we__re_doomed_by_starfire1423-d3g5f6

Well thanks for that, I know what I'm going to rewatch this evening. Everyone sing the doom song! (Y)

It's not really a conspiracy as much as an observation. So how about we start from the most simplest observation: Mankind kills itself from using up all the known resources that it can use to sustain itself. We leave the earth in a terrible shape. And?

I'm not trying to diminish the idea that what we have done and are currently doing is bad for sustainability, but...well, as I just said to someone else not moments ago, there is a whole cosmos out there. What we do here ends our time as opposed to exploring what else is out there. And what? I'm pretty sure no one else (by that I mean the cosmos, not us reading this forum) cares.

Things will continue, we will live - or not, as the case may be - with our mistakes.

• Like 1

The earth wasn't built. And it can support 20 fold more people under the right conditions. Luckily we won't have to, Even though we are in a population curve, in 1st world countries, we are actually have population decrease. Once third world nations hit the current level of development that we have now, they too will start to decrease. The world will peak out and then slowly lower naturally.

Only when it comes to population numbers but not rapid development of 3rd world countries.  As these 3rd world countries become more developed, their thirst for raw materials will grow rapidly.  Just look at what's happening to China right now and then realize that India hasn't even started yet.  China is consuming basically everything at a record pace.  Population growth in India is huge and once they start bringing up hundreds of millions of people out of poverty, they will also need huge resources.  And on top of that we have basically the entire continent of Africa.  That's the scary thought.  UN is expecting us to even out at 10 billion, which isn't too bad, but catastrophic when you realize how many people are yet to come out of poverty.  

That's why natural selection should've been left in charge. Why protect idiots? 50 years I won't be alive, at least I hope. I'm 26 now, I hope to make it to 100, but I have doubts. :)

I feel the same way.  

said No one.

Seriously, would we have Spider-Man in the MCU, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Shenmue 3 or the Nintendo Theme Park Deal if this news were true, probably not. but since this is not true, we do have things like these. So don't be crazy. And, Also, don't listen to those Scientists who may sound like Homeless people spewing nonsense.

• Like 1

It's called natural selection. Yes, we're speeding the process, but no way as much as this article states. We'll also be extinct at some point in the future, so what? Remember that Jurassic Park quote? "Life always finds a way".

Exactly this. We're not helping the situation, but humanity is not the only reason species go extinct. While we should take care of the planet and try not to drive other species out of existence, it's foolish to think that every extinction is due to our carelessness. That mindset is in its own way as arrogant as thinking we can do whatever we like to the planet without consequence.

• Like 1

Mother nature is a resilient beast.

Exactly this. We're not helping the situation, but humanity is not the only reason species go extinct. While we should take care of the planet and try not to drive other species out of existence, it's foolish to think that every extinction is due to our carelessness. That mindset is in its own way as arrogant as thinking we can do whatever we like to the planet without consequence.

QFTW

Honestly, the numerous mass extinctions in the past are basically proof that the Earth has natural cycles of change that are independent of what inhabits it.  I highly doubt that humans are THE reason (or even a major reason) why the climate is shifting.  

The Earth being 4.5 billion years old and people trying to make conclusions based on less than 100 years of data is nothing but laughable.  When the Earth inevitably starts to cool, people will craft up other stupid explanations of why we're "screwed".

• Like 2

Honestly, the numerous mass extinctions in the past are basically proof that the Earth has natural cycles of change that are independent of what inhabits it.  I highly doubt that humans are THE reason (or even a major reason) why the climate is shifting.  

The Earth being 4.5 billion years old and people trying to make conclusions based on less than 100 years of data is nothing but laughable.  When the Earth inevitably starts to cool, people will craft up other stupid explanations of why we're "screwed".

I agree with this, but the problem is that this logic is used by many to promote doing nothing about our part in protecting the environment.

I agree with this, but the problem is that this logic is used by many to promote doing nothing about our part in protecting the environment.

Usually, that's the ones who's profits would be reduced by doing so...