DeskHider v0.0.1 - Hide your Desktop!

In my line of simple windows customization apps, I would like to introduce DeskHider, a program that hides your desktop icons. I got the idea as I was thinking about wallpapers. I really like the wallpapers I choose, and I choose them to admire them. But I can't, because I cover my screen with files and other things. So I created this. It hangs out in your tray and you can show/hide the icons. Note that this really only works on Windows 8 due to a naming incompatibility in Windows 7. Anyway, I will get it to work with Win10 when win10 goes RTM.

You also have the option of command line control. You can use it like so:

DeskHider.exe 50

which sets it to 50% transparency.

The file is too big to upload here (it is 5mb btw), so find it on my Github. Here is the direct download link.

Simple and easy to use! Let me know what you think. (Or report bugs if there are any).

• Like 1

In my line of simple windows customization apps, I would like to introduce DeskHider, a program that hides your desktop icons. I got the idea as I was thinking about wallpapers. I really like the wallpapers I choose, and I choose them to admire them. But I can't, because I cover my screen with files and other things. So I created this. It hangs out in your tray and you can show/hide the icons. Note that this really only works on Windows 8 due to a naming incompatibility in Windows 7. Anyway, I will get it to work with Win10 when win10 goes RTM.

You also have the option of command line control. You can use it like so:

DeskHider.exe 50

which sets it to 50% transparency.

The file is too big to upload here (it is 5mb btw), so find it on my Github. Here is the direct download link.

Simple and easy to use! Let me know what you think. (Or report bugs if there are any).

Nice. But if you set it to 100%, what happens?

I suggest creating hotkeys that would bring it back from being 100%. I can't test it yet, because I'm at work.

And this is free. We're not all rich.

it's just a shade less than $10.  For that you get support and a product that has been available for about 3 years.

it's just a shade less than $10.  For that you get support and a product that has been available for about 3 years.

Or just get this which is free.

Fences' purpose is mainly to organize your desktop. It wouldn't be worth paying if you only wanted to hide/dim your icons.

Awesome, what's the support chain?

Considering the author of the application says "report any bugs" to him, presumably, the support chain is... contact him and report any bugs. Alternatively, since it's open source, if you find a bug fix it yourself and send a pull request. Failing that, just uninstall it and guess what, you've lost nothing apart from a few minutes of your time because it's free.  

Do you never use any free/open source software if there's a commercial alternative  :huh:? Most people are the other way around. 

Hello,

Are any screenshots available of DeskHider in action?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

First off, sorry for not replying sooner. I am having problems setting things up so I will get email notifications with replies to my posts.

Anyway...

@BinaryData I originally was going to do hotkeys, but they are a little more difficult to implement. I could do it in the next release if you want. So, to open up to the community at large, any preferences for what it  would be? Ctrl+Alt+something most likely.

I am going to ignore the debate about DeskHider vs Fences. I think free software (not in the monetary meaning) stands up by itself. That is all I will say, I leave it up to each person to decide what software they prefer.

As to support, I will support this to the best of my ability. This means I will try to fix bugs if you send them to me. I might not fix them in a week, but it will happen, if possible.

Finally, @Aryeh Goretsky, I am not entirely sure why you want screenshots (It will just be my desktop at various alpha levels), but since you asked:

This is my normal desktop

link

Here it is hidden:

link

And finally, a 50% transparent view:

link

The icon for DeskHider is the small blue rectangle (seen in the second photo). You can control it from the taskbar (seen in the first image). Or if you enter something from the command line, you can customize it more (3rd photo).

I will start checking Neowin every day (at least), so if you have questions, I will try to respond in 1-2 days.

PS> Thanks Andrew for cleaning up the thread, it was getting a little too far off topic.

@Enron, I will be installing the preview in a VM soon, so I should be able to test it in the next week or so.

Update: I am installing Win10 right now. I hope to get the program working by the end of the day tomorrow.

Update2: I just tested, and this doesn't work with Win10 right now. I will work on getting it to work.

Might have to give this a shot! Thanks for sharing! :)

Making the desktop icons transparent could be handy. I too will give this a try.

Those complaining about more features or support in paid apps, what's the point? This is free, don't use it you don't want/like it.

Update: Moving this to Windows 10 is actually harder than it seemed at first. I will have to wait for a build greater than 10140 to be shipped to the fast ring before building binaries. I think I might have found a bug in an api, which means that that will have to be fixed too. I will update as more info comes in.

Hello,

Oh, I'm always just interested in sample output.  In case of a utility which interacts with graphics on the desktop, I was curious as to what it looked like ("here are my desktop icons at 75%, 50%, 25%, normal, etc.").

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Because Right click > Hide icons is too mainstream?

Which isn't present on my Windows 7 machine. Found the option!

And that brings me to a point... @OP : You've said it doesn't work on Win7 due to a naming restriction... what?

Any chance you can make it work? :)

You've said it doesn't work on Win7 due to a naming restriction... what?

Yeah, in my studies, the name of the desktop changes and it is almost impossible to tell what it will be. I don't have a Win7 box, so doing more testing will be hard. I'll see what I can do.

I am afraid I come with bad news for those hoping to run this on Windows 10. Having tested this on Windows 10, MS put restrictions on doing anything with the Desktop, so even with admin rights, I cannot change anything about the Desktop. I hope this changes by RTM or sooner, but I see no way of this happening.