Windows 8.1 won't boot up after failed clone attempt

Hello everyone!

So, I've started yesterday a cloning a process on my working Windows 8.1 setup, where I started of by shrinking the OS partition with built-in manager to the allowed maximum, system was fine. Then I did shutdown system and started the cloning process. (read here)

Since clonezilla wasn't successful at all, I wanted to go back into the windows system, after some fialed booting, suddenly I've got this message, winload.exe missing.

How can I recover my Windows now?

Edit 1: Created in the quick a Win8.1 USB install drive, but then I select troubleshoot and the target Windows system it says: LOCKED. How can I unlock? ...and why is it locked in the 1st place?

Edited by Class

Winload.exe missing ... eeep.  Are you definitely sure you were copying from/to the correct drive and not overwriting your current drive?

With regards locked - I have never seen nor heard of this before and I've mucked up my MBR more times than I care to mention.  Do you have the exact text shown in the error dialog or even a phone camera photo of it?

Winload.exe missing ... eeep.  Are you definitely sure you were copying from/to the correct drive and not overwriting your current drive?

With regards locked - I have never seen nor heard of this before and I've mucked up my MBR more times than I care to mention.  Do you have the exact text shown in the error dialog or even a phone camera photo of it?

The problem is, this is the OLD drive (HDD), the copy didn't compelte it's only copied the MBR to the SDD. So, this booting issue might be the result of the shrink. But I only shrinked to the size that windows itself suggested, not below and it completed it on-the-fly while windows was running.

Any suggestions are warmly welcome. Btw, how can I lift the "partition locked"?

Partition locked sounds like you have a Bitlocker encrypted volume there.  Did you Bitlocker the drive or is it a tablet that came with Wimboot?  If it's the former you'll need the recovery key, the latter the key will be in your OneDrive.