Windows 10 RTM to be given to all 'Windows Insider' members for FREE!

Then explain to me why all 6 of the computers I have, 1 desktop, 3 laptops and 2 tablets all show as activated, and none have asked for a license key to be entered when being "upgraded" from Win8.1 they all were running previously to Win10TP, and I see many people here asking about who has the key to install?Yeah, all of my computers have gone through the "upgrade" process to the Win10 preview. Not one has been "clean installed". The only one I've had much of a problem with is a Toshiba tablet which I haven't yet figured out how to get the touch screen drivers working... but then again, I only spend maybe 15 minutes a day on that task.

What do I need to explain? Clean installs are using a TP key which will be invalidated once rtm.

If you upgraded fro m 8.1 then it is using that key. Your experience is not everyone else's experience. Unless you think most people are installing the TP as an upgrade LOL.

Microsoft has reaffirmed that Windows Insiders who clean installed the Windows 10 Preview can upgrade and activate the Windows 10 RTM for free, regardless of whether they have a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license. This announcement was made on Friday, and on Saturday was silently changed to remove any mention of being activated unless you upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. This caused confusion, but Gabe Aul has again reaffirmed that Insiders who clean installed the Windows 10 Preview will receive Windows 10 for free, and activated.

Now you may be wondering why Microsoft went ahead and confused the situation by changing the way the announcement was worded in the first place. Well, in short, they did it to cover their backside. Soon after the original announcement, a number of media outlets began posting stories such as "How to get Windows 10 for free". This is not what Microsoft wants, and continues to advertise Windows 10 as being free for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users only.

It does appear that upgrading from the preview builds to RTM doesn't get you a valid license however. You will remain activated (and can clean install if you wish once upgrading), but you will not have a valid license. This isn't something normal users need to worry about though.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-clears-confusion-reaffirms-free-windows-10-insiders

What do I need to explain? Clean installs are using a TP key which will be invalidated once rtm.

If you upgraded fro m 8.1 then it is using that key. Your experience is not everyone else's experience. Unless you think most people are installing the TP as an upgrade LOL.

LOL all you want.

Ignorance isn't a virtue.

I'm betting the majority of people in the insider program upgraded. That's the way new builds are distributed until the slow ring gets upgraded and ISOs are released.

Curious about whether your upgraded copy will qualify? Search through the registry for your 7/8 key. If it's there then you know.

I'm betting the majority of people in the insider program upgraded. That's the way new builds are distributed until the slow ring gets upgraded and ISOs are released.Curious about whether your upgraded copy will qualify? Search through the registry for your 7/8 key. If it's there then you know.

I'd bet you as well if you had any way to quantify that. Knowing that you don't and knowing that for a decent part of the insider program you couldn't even install as an upgrade, I'll pass.

LOL all you want.Ignorance isn't a virtue.

Speaking of ignorance, didn't you notice that Microsoft gives out the same key to every insider? So now you think they are gonna activate that key for everyone?

Interesting.

Are you purposely being obtuse and ignoring the articles making it clear you still need a valid upgrade path for a free copy?

I'd bet you as well if you had any way to quantify that. Knowing that you don't and knowing that for a decent part of the insider program you couldn't even install as an upgrade, I'll pass.

Speaking of ignorance, didn't you notice that Microsoft gives out the same key to every insider? So now you think they are gonna activate that key for everyone?

Interesting.

That key is only for clean installs. It will not qualify for an upgrade. Had you bothered to do what I said you would see your RTM key was preserved.

• Like 1

That key is only for clean installs. It will not qualify for an upgrade. Had you bothered to do what I said you would see your RTM key was preserved.

Correct. Had you bothered to read what I said, you would see you just repeated what I already stated.

Correct. Had you bothered to read what I said, you would see you just repeated what I already stated.

Then what was your argument? I thought it was a given that you needed a valid key to qualify for an upgrade. You just won't have to reinstall your RTM OS to do it.

The only thing up in the air is whether people with clean TP installs will get it for free, which is very unlikely.

Then what was your argument? I thought it was a given that you needed a valid key to qualify for an upgrade. You just won't have to reinstall your RTM OS to do it.The only thing up in the air is whether people with clean TP installs will get it for free, which is very unlikely.

Well it didn't start as an argument at all. I stated that unless you upgraded, no insider is in a valid licensed state. Then i made the statement that upgraded insiders are probably a fringe case.

Then it blew up into this discussion that insiders are getting their copies for free. Sure, if you upgraded. Otherwise, you have to provide a valid license. Then I was told I am ignorant. Now its not clear which part I am being called ignorant on, so I restated my original position.

Then you disagreed with me and that most insiders are upgrades. I disagreed. I believe that brings us up to date.

Well it didn't start as an argument at all. I stated that unless you upgraded, no insider is in a valid licensed state. Then i made the statement that upgraded insiders are probably a fringe case.

Then it blew up into this discussion that insiders are getting their copies for free. Sure, if you upgraded. Otherwise, you have to provide a valid license. Then I was told I am ignorant. Now its not clear which part I am being called ignorant on, so I restated my original position.

Then you disagreed with me and that most insiders are upgrades. I disagreed. I believe that brings us up to date.

is it bad that post made me LOL

• Like 2

Nope. What you stated is:

"Nobody is running properly licensed Windows 10 TP right now. Everyone has come into it unlicensed.

The fringe case would be those who are properly licensed by updating with the TP."

Clearly stating that those of us "updating" are on the "fringe" and therefore the minority.

Truth be told, you have no numbers to back up your assertions so therefore your assertions and assumptions lack merit for consideration.

is it bad that post made me LOL

Does one person disagreeing with a statement made by another, make the statement by the first or second true?

Two rights don't make a wrong but three rights make a left.

• Like 1

Nope. What you stated is:Clearly stating that those of us "updating" are on the "fringe" and therefore the minority.Truth be told, you have no numbers to back up your assertions so therefore your assertions and assumptions lack merit for consideration.

Truth be told, neither do you. Funny how that works both ways.

Gabe needs to step away from Twitter with regards to this whole Windows 10 "free for insiders" thing.  Note:  Original tweet said that the Windows 10 TP was a clean install without 7 or 8.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

A free upgrade or no free upgrade, Microsoft is once again taking a beating on social media this morning...

Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I

After that confusing blog post, I've been wondering if when RTM goes out I should just re-install Windows 8.1 and just install the app and get my free upgrade with product key. Anyone else going that route?

After that confusing blog post, I've been wondering if when RTM goes out I should just re-install Windows 8.1 and just install the app and get my free upgrade with product key. Anyone else going that route?

That's what I'm doing.

Does a qualifying OS activation link to your MSA?  if it does then I do not see an issue here otherwise dig deep and pay for your software and get the next one free.

Maybe I'm wrong but to get any of the insider bits from the official source, ie Microsoft website, didn't you have to log in with an MSA?

I guess that has to be done from pc running a legitimate, or not, version of Windows. Depending on the state of the OS you signed up for the preview with your Win 10 will be activated or not when you get the final bits.

Could this just be what they mean?

Windows Insider Preview upgraded to RTM as long as you have MSA = Free. (You have a key tied to your account.)  After that, you can do the clean installation... no key needed as long as you setup MSA account during installation.

Windows 7/8.x upgraded to RTM = Free via Reservation app. Clean installation afterwards, no problem.

Old versions of Windows (XP, Vista, etc) to RTM = Buy a copy of Windows 10. Key will be included. Unless you install TP/IP on that machine, if so, it may be free as long as you are an insider. 

I guess that's how it works.  I am sure what Gabe meant if some of you don't get what he meant.

If you do not get what Gabe or I mean, then have someone you know to explain this to you clearly ...

Why they can't be clear with things. Registered Insider MSA = I can't opt out Insider after install? God, this is a MESS!

Why they can't be clear with things. Registered Insider MSA = I can't opt out Insider after install? God, this is a MESS!

Microsoft has no incentive to make it clear. It's free publicity to make people talk about it, news articles, blog posts! If they really wanted to make it clear they would have done it a long time ago.