PlayStation App Update Makes Redeeming Codes Easier

Sony has released an update for its iOS and Android PlayStation App to make code redemption much easier.

The update, which is available now on iTunes and Google Play, allows "PlayStation Network Card numbers and promotion codes to be entered within the PlayStation App."

Furthermore, codes can now be redeemed either by entering them manually using a keyboard, or scanning it using the device's camera.

Another addition introduced in the update shows "comments that you receive while broadcasting from your PS4 system can now be displayed on the second screen."

Sony recently announced it will be releasing a new PlayStation 4 bundle that features a 1TB hard drive capacity, offering twice the storage of the existing PS4.

The new model is also ten percent lighter, weighing a total of 2.5 kg, and uses eight percent less energy. The new model's hard drive bay cover now also has a matte finish.

At E3 2015, Sony made a number of big announcements, including the Final Fantasy 7 remake featured in the video above. Microsoft, meanwhile, revealed backwards compatibility for Xbox 360 games, and Nintendo showed of Star Fox.

For GameSpot's full assessment of the highs and lows of E3 2015, check out this feature.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-app-update-makes-redeeming-codes-easie/

More importantly the store is now browseable from within the app.

• Like 2

One thing I'll hand it to MS from the beginning of this gen is printing QR codes on vouchers that can be scanned by Kinect.  This is still a step away from that.

• Like 1

One thing I'll hand it to MS from the beginning of this gen is printing QR codes on vouchers that can be scanned by Kinect.  This is still a step away from that.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the app was used by an incredibly small amount of people.

Sony has a long way to go to match MS' efforts on the companion app side of things, but its good to see them making an effort again. I would like to see more effort in this area going forward.

Sony has a long way to go to match MS' efforts on the companion app side of things, but its good to see them making an effort again. I would like to see more effort in this area going forward.

Just curious what do you think they need to do?

I think for the most part the big stuff, at least for my needs, both apps do, and actually the one thing the smart glass lacks for me is the ability to redeem a code.

I will admit a lot of the stuff the smartglass app does I have zero need for though, like the controlling the console stuff from it. I just do not use it. So the basics, like messages, friends list, etc., both apps seem to cover in their own ways. I will admit though that smartglass app is more refined, looks better and is a bit more responsive, but overall I find their feature sets to be pretty comparable.

Just curious what do you think they need to do?

I think for the most part the big stuff, at least for my needs, both apps do, and actually the one thing the smart glass lacks for me is the ability to redeem a code.

I will admit a lot of the stuff the smartglass app does I have zero need for though, like the controlling the console stuff from it. I just do not use it. So the basics, like messages, friends list, etc., both apps seem to cover in their own ways. I will admit though that smartglass app is more refined, looks better and is a bit more responsive, but overall I find their feature sets to be pretty comparable.

Smartglass did lack code redemption, but thankfully its been added to the new xbox app that replaces it.

As far as why I think its a better app overall than the ps app, well you pretty much answered your own question. It has more features, looks better, and runs better in my opinion. I use my smartphone as a universal remote for my console thanks to smartglass. Plus, I find myself using it for text input a lot. I just appreciate the effort put into the app and hope Sony is aiming for a similar experience.

There is also the companion app experience, which is not really used much. I used it last with Titanfall on my tablet and it was actually useful, but then that is not unique to smartglass. Even if the ps app doesn't directly support such experiences, there is usually a third party companion app for ps4. I just like the integrated experience.

Smartglass did lack code redemption, but thankfully its been added to the new xbox app that replaces it.

As far as why I think its a better app overall than the ps app, well you pretty much answered your own question. It has more features, looks better, and runs better in my opinion. I use my smartphone as a universal remote for my console thanks to smartglass. Plus, I find myself using it for text input a lot. I just appreciate the effort put into the app and hope Sony is aiming for a similar experience.

There is also the companion app experience, which is not really used much. I used it last with Titanfall on my tablet and it was actually useful, but then that is not unique to smartglass. Even if the ps app doesn't directly support such experiences, there is usually a third party companion app for ps4. I just like the integrated experience.

I bolded out what might be my problem, as I did not even know they replaced the smartglass app with a new app. Will check it out.

I bolded out what might be my problem, as I did not even know they replaced the smartglass app with a new app. Will check it out.

The Xbox app is only available for testing on Windows 10 and 10 Mobile, so its not out in the wild yet. So unless your testing those, you can't use it.

Once its done, it will replace smartglass everywhere.