The Jimquisition: Shenmue 3: The Good, The Bad, And The Iffy

He's right once again. There's some shady stuff going on with this one. Parasitic by nature and toxic by design...yeah, but I'm not surprised with Sony being in such financial dire straits and needing all the hype to convince the sheeple.

I truly wonder if Suzuki can make it work after such a long hiatus and especially now that they want $10 million to make the game truly open world, I wonder what the business is behind this and what the game is they're planning to make if they don't hit all their financial goals.

Valid points. I do hope KS doesn't end up an abuse dump from the big guys. For something like Shenmue 3 I'm fine, it genuinely wasn't getting made until fans lit the coals under Sony on "buildingthelist" and they got into cahoots with Yu the past few years. Sega can't even find a way to translate Yakuza for us reliably, not dub, just translate. While lots of other JRPGs get translated to PS3/Vita and PS4. Sega just turn their eyes up at the profit margins on Yakuza and say no. Because it will make profit, just not enough for them to care (Look at the amount of obscure games Atlus and others have no issues budgeting a translation for, and even a dub half the time). The effort gone just to get Yakuza 5 is silly (Sony having to step in and publish instead of Sega), given Sega happily crap out terrible Sonic games, and Yakuza games do review well and sell moderately okay in the West.

Once AC and COD end up on KS, lol, no. Or 1st party IPs from Sony/MS/Nintendo. Going in and bringing a sequel to a franchise owned by a 3rd party who doesn't want to do it is a little different than a title you own yourself. Amplitude is another example of something Activision weren't going to touch themselves.

If Square can budget for a Nier 2 (critically panned, fan loved), the big three can easily foot bills for their own IP. It's about being happier to make smaller profits on much-loved titles, for fan cred, along with the bigger profits on churned out AAA titles.

Ok, so basically the question that needs to be asked is, who's the publisher?  If not Sony, but they are helping with marketing costs and some dev costs in order to keep it console exclusive, and YS wants to hold on to the vision without undue outside influence, I really don't see what the fuss is all about -- Sony won't step up with millions because they can't (or it would be financially stupid because without publishing rights there isn't enough RoI).  YS has said that he expects the game to be mostly funded though private investment, Sega has basically washed its hands of the thing, and having Sony on board gives it credibility and visibility.  

The first Shenmue cost almost $100 million (inflation adjusted) to develop and market, so even that $10 million KS goal doesn't mean much in the long run.

What I'm confused most about is how much say does Sony have here. The latest quotes seem to say that Sony is just going to help get it on the PS4. Does that mean it is a ps4 exclusive or is it out there for other platforms like the X1?

If Sony is paying for console exclusivity, then just tell us and be done with it, don't leave it a lingering question.

What I'm confused most about is how much say does Sony have here. The latest quotes seem to say that Sony is just going to help get it on the PS4. Does that mean it is a ps4 exclusive or is it out there for other platforms like the X1?

If Sony is paying for console exclusivity, then just tell us and be done with it, don't leave it a lingering question.

If money is being added for development and not just marketing, it's most likely going to stay console exclusive

Speaking to Eurogamer's Oli Welsh last week, Sony's president of worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida provided a little more clarity on the relationship. "I cannot talk about the specifics of the deal, but I can talk about the set-up," he said. "It's the third-party relations team's work. They've been supporting many indie developers - you've seen Adam Boyes or Shahid Ahmad showcasing indie developers over the last few years. When the third party relations team identifies some great indie game being developed they strike a deal so it comes on PlayStation first on console, or something like that.

"There's a variety of ways of support, including financial support. When the game's not being funded at that point, the developer has to come up with some funding themselves, for third party relations team to help - because third party relations is third party relations - if we fund the project then it's first party! It's my job! There's a great difference. If Suzuki's Kickstarter is successful [and very quickly after our conversation it was], SCEA will add funding and other support."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-22-yu-suzuki-needs-usd10-million-to-make-a-truly-open-world-shenmue-3

They won't own the IP, but I guess it'll be like Ratchet and Clank/Resistance/Dead Rising 3/Ryse/Sunset Overdrive.

If money is being added for development and not just marketing, it's most likely going to stay console exclusive

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-22-yu-suzuki-needs-usd10-million-to-make-a-truly-open-world-shenmue-3

They won't own the IP, but I guess it'll be like Ratchet and Clank/Resistance/Dead Rising 3/Ryse/Sunset Overdrive.

Sony owns the R&C/Resistance IPs.

Which really confuses me why Sony Pictures isn't distributing the movie.

But Sony is only supporting the ps4 version, not the pc version. At least, that is how it was worded by Yu Suzuki during his recent reddit event. Its just pretty bizarre that if Sony bought console exclusivity that it would not be disclosed right up front and it is even more bizarre that they could convince Yu Suzuki to grant them that exclusive presence without agreeing to fund the game completely, instead requiring a Kickstarter campaign.

It made me think Sony has no exclusivity at all, they are just helping to fund the ps4 version while there is no current funding for other platforms. Yu Suzuki is still trying to get outside funding, so he could be talking with other platform holders as we speak.

• Like 1

But Sony is only supporting the ps4 version, not the pc version. At least, that is how it was worded by Yu Suzuki during his recent reddit event. Its just pretty bizarre that if Sony bought console exclusivity that it would not be disclosed right up front and it is even more bizarre that they could convince Yu Suzuki to grant them that exclusive presence without agreeing to fund the game completely, instead requiring a Kickstarter campaign.

It made me think Sony has no exclusivity at all, they are just helping to fund the ps4 version while there is no current funding for other platforms. Yu Suzuki is still trying to get outside funding, so he could be talking with other platform holders as we speak.

They explained why they aren't funding it completely. As for PC I guess you could look at SF5. On exclusivity, it looks that way but we don't know for sure.

My wishlist for Shenmue 3

No "cartoony more over the top" characters like Ren, Joy and Dou Niu.

No tedious book stacking a job is fine but work it into the story and make it not tedious like the forklift.

They explained why they aren't funding it completely. As for PC I guess you could look at SF5. On exclusivity, it looks that way but we don't know for sure.

Yes, but they didn't say anything about exclusivity, leaving this guessing game that is in its wake. They didn't even claim to be publishing the game for ps4 even though that might be the assumption based on their talk of funding development.

I guess its a minor point right now, but I just think they should lay out what the deal is, unless it is truly in flux right now.