Asia is Now Richer than Europe (1st time in modern history)

LAST year, global private wealth grew by 12%, or $17.5 trillion, to reach $164 trillion (in stocks, bonds, savings and cash) according to a report released this week by BCG, a consultancy. Good news for many, but particularly for Asia, where private wealth grew by a whopping 29% compared to 5.6% in North America and 6.6% in Europe.

For the first time in modern history, Asia is now richer than Europe. And it is catching up with North America too; by 2019 the region

Edited by Jacky L.
Unnecessary link removed
  • Like 2

What does 'modern history' mean here? Just curious...

Doesn't seem like spam to me. It is an interesting and insightful macroeconomic analysis. Don't mistake this for any sort of qualitative per capita statistics. Translation: Asia has a lot more people.

• Like 2

Does this mean the EU will start "fining" Asian companies instead of American companies? 

They should, specially the Chinese ones and their 'dumping' practices.  For example, we just outfitted a house in Serbia with Chinese made Solar Panels for basically pennies.  They cost less than a tenth of what they would in the rest of the EU or even in Canada.

This was seen coming long ago. Numbers matter. 1/3 the world is in that area. An old saying that was common when I was young was.. "wish I could sell just can of coke to every chinese citizen for just 1 day".

I had read several years ago that China was expected to replace the U.S. as the #1 economy in the world, but i think they estimated that it would be sometime between 2030 and 2040.

Also, on my Twitter feed earlier this year, Bill Gates (authentic) posted that during the years 2013-2014 China laid more concrete than the U.S. did during the entire 20th century. So yeah, it's looking interesting. 

See, this article is a bit misleading. From an economic standpoint, wealth can be measured in numerous ways. In this article, it's heavily biased on liquidity (real hard cash), rather than other factors that can also be used to measure a country's wealth (e.g. skillfulness/education of citizens, resources).

See, this article is a bit misleading. From an economic standpoint, wealth can be measured in numerous ways. In this article, it's heavily biased on liquidity (real hard cash), rather than other factors that can also be used to measure a country's wealth (e.g. skillfulness/education of citizens, resources).

Wait a sec... you posted the article, if you disagree with it, why post it in the first place?

I'm not disagreeing with it. I'm pointing out that there's multiple sides of the story. What do you guys have against me anyway?

Seeing as you asked . And I have nothing personal against anyone on this site, but you insist on linking to rival feeds and I did answer you with the rules laid out by site admins

yet you continue to link to rival feeds

But for the sake of harmony, Welcome and please, if reporting news is a passion, try contacting our news team, and if you're successful, you get to make reports on the site's news sections and you get a cool badge :)

• Like 2

Seeing as you asked . And I have nothing personal against anyone on this site, but you insist on linking to rival feeds and I did answer you with the rules laid out by site admins

yet you continue to link to rival feeds

But for the sake of harmony, Welcome and please, if reporting news is a passion, try contacting our news team, and if you're successful, you get to make reports on the site's news sections and you get a cool badge :)

Oh. I think there might be a misunderstanding. 

It was never my intention to drive users to a "competitor feed". I post the other site because it has a really up-to-date, decent news feed. Though it's a shame that it's only a feed. So I'd thought I'll share with the community here and we can have a discussion of some of the topics here. Because quite frankly, it can be boring reading the news when you have no one to share it with.  My main goal is really to have a place, where I can have an insightful and productive discussion of current events and I believe the other site can help spark some of those discussions. 

And yes, it would be pretty cool to have one of those badges  :D

Oh. I think there might be a misunderstanding. 

It was never my intention to drive users to a "competitor feed". I post the other site because it has a really up-to-date, decent news feed. Though it's a shame that it's only a feed. So I'd thought I'll share with the community here and we can have a discussion of some of the topics here. Because quite frankly, it can be boring reading the news when you have no one to share it with.  My main goal is really to have a place, where I can have an insightful and productive discussion of current events and I believe the other site can help spark some of those discussions. 

And yes, it would be pretty cool to have one of those badges  :D

If this is truly the case, you could always open up a topic, and ask for opinions in a 'have your say' manner

There are literally hundreds of members here who enjoy a good theoretical discussion, as well as sharing practical concerns.

You'll get the occasional shut down obviously, it's an internet forum, it has it's downside also, but on the whole, this is actually a great place to get a good discussion going, and get sound advice (Y)

I would like to introduce you to this thread, this is a think tank thread, and everyone posting in it has something to contribute to a theoretical scenario that could become reality.

• Like 1