New Gaming rig

I apply in the same 5+ year ownership and by the looks of it, so does the OP :p

Valid video, proves some points, but it also proves that what I said does exist! Keep in mind that was only 4 hours, if you double towards 8, it starts to matter even more.

That said, it's not only about power efficiency, it's about Thermal dissipation, hotter PC, fan spins faster, add a couple of more cents per watt and see how every little bittie cent adds up? 

Then factor in how stock coolers are not very good at cooling, it  just adds more heat in overall to the system, reducing overall lifetime of components.

Also, from CPUboss:

http://cpuboss.com/cpu/AMD-FX-6300

ower Consumption TDP 95W Annual home energy cost 22.89 $/year Annual commercial energy cost 83.22 $/year Performance per watt 7.34 pt/W Typical power consumption 77.19W

http://cpuboss.com/cpu/Intel-Core-i3-4160

ower Consumption TDP 54W Annual home energy cost 13.01 $/year Annual commercial energy cost 47.3 $/year Performance per watt 14.07 pt/W Typical power consumption 43.88W

Paints a different scenario based on different consumption?

On a 5 year owner ship ( my old quad q6600 is still going strong since 2006) $35.92  x 5 , $179.6 better spent somewhere else

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-4160-vs-AMD-FX-6300/2816vs1555

SPEED RANK: 74th / 837  Intel

SPEED RANK: 218th / 837 AMD

Its nice to see, hardly anyone in HH tries to do a build with a crappy, generic PSU.

Even the people who are doing a 1st time build, asking for help - will at least start with a decent brand PSU... as far as Ive seen recently.

I remember when almost every build you had to tell the person, "dont pinch pennies with crappy PSU - never !"

Interesting point! I too remember when people had random OEm chinese 2000w PSU :laugh:

I apply in the same 5+ year ownership and by the looks of it, so does the OP :p

Valid video, proves some points, but it also proves that what I said does exist! Keep in mind that was only 4 hours, if you double towards 8, it starts to matter even more.

That said, it's not only about power efficiency, it's about Thermal dissipation, hotter PC, fan spins faster, add a couple of more cents per watt and see how every little bittie cent adds up?

Also, from CPUboss:

http://cpuboss.com/cpu/AMD-FX-6300

ower Consumption TDP 95W Annual home energy cost 22.89 $/year Annual commercial energy cost 83.22 $/year Performance per watt 7.34 pt/W Typical power consumption 77.19W

http://cpuboss.com/cpu/Intel-Core-i3-4160

ower Consumption TDP 54W Annual home energy cost 13.01 $/year Annual commercial energy cost 47.3 $/year Performance per watt 14.07 pt/W Typical power consumption 43.88W

Paints a different scenario based on different consumption?

Keep in mind that the 4 hours in the video were for full load which may not be specific for everyone, but sounds like a decent average IMHO.

As for CPUBoss, before we jump to conclusions we'd need some figures about what home energy and commercial energy use mean as far as hours and system load is concerned. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I didn't find anything on that site. So, the painted picture is meaningless without context.

And I want to stress, yet again, the point about dual-core CPUs. If I hear someone talk about gaming and future-proofing, they are off the recommended list, especially if the person building the system is not the tweaking kind.

What games do they bench, because that site looks confusing and full of synthetics?

1.Keep in mind that the 4 hours in the video were for full load which may not be specific for everyone, but sounds like a decent average IMHO.

2.As for CPUBoss, before we jump to conclusions we'd need some figures about what home energy and commercial energy use mean as far as hours and system load is concerned. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I didn't find anything on that site. So, the painted picture is meaningless without context.

3.And I want to stress, yet again, the point about dual-core CPUs. If I hear someone talk about gaming and future-proofing, they are off the recommended list, especially if the person building the system is not the tweaking kind.

4.What games do they bench, because that site looks confusing?

1. Fair enough, but consider idle load also comes into play.

2.  They use to have a link that said it was a national average, it's pretty bad as a source imo :p

3. don-t know what you mean?

4. Dunno :laugh.

But  I think we can agree, it boils down to how much does one pays for electricity.

1. Fair enough, but consider idle load also comes into play.

2.  They use to have a link that said it was a national average, it's pretty bad as a source imo :p

3. don-t know what you mean?

4. Dunno :laugh.

But  I think we can agree, it boils down to how much does one pays for electricity.

1. It does, but it's a lot lower. You can double the figures in the video and that would probably cover you for 16h of both normal usage and full load.

2. National average doesn't say much at all.

3. I've previously mentioned in this thread that there are games that don't work by default on dual-cores (eg. DA: Inquisition, CoD: Advanced Warfare) unless you hunt down unofficial fixes and I'm willing to bet that there will be games in the near future that won't have even that fix option.

Honestly, I mainly look at price/performance when buying or making suggestions. Electricity rarely comes into it. Where I live it's pretty easy to recommend AMD (if the user has no preference) below a certain price point. For example, a friend snagged a FX-8300 for half the price of an i5 as he couldn't justify the price jump. I guess location does matter, be it hardware or electricity price (for some).

• Like 1

1. It does, but it's a lot lower. You can double the figures in the video and that would probably cover you for 16h of both normal usage and full load.

2. National average doesn't say much at all.

3. I've previously mentioned in this thread that there are games that don't work by default on dual-cores (eg. DA: Inquisition, CoD: Advanced Warfare) that don't work unless you hunt down unofficial fixes and I'm willing to bet that there will be games in the near future that won't have even that fix option.

Honestly, I mainly look at price/performance when buying or making suggestions. Electricity rarely comes into it. Where I live it's pretty easy to recommend AMD (if the user has no preference) below a certain price point. For example, a friend snagged a FX-8300 for half the price of an i5 as he couldn't justify the price jump. I guess location does matter, be it hardware or electricity price (for some).

Ah, this does make a lot of sense, some won't even install.

Well, if I could grab same performance (not factoring electricity), then I guess  I would.