16 Police Forces Called to Bloody Wedding Brawl

ONATELAUNEE TWP., Pa. -

Forget cold feet, a groom is in hot water after spending part of his wedding night in jail.

What was supposed to be one of the happiest days for a Berks County couple, ended with a big brawl at their wedding reception.

Northern Berks Regional Police were called around 8:30 p.m. Saturday to Blue Falls Grove, on Bowers Road in Onatelaunee Township, for a fight that got out of control. The venue's owner told officers a dozen intoxicated people were pushing and shoving each other outside the banquet hall, officials said.

"I just saw three groups separating and fighting, and at that point I realized I needed some help," said Doug Mehrkam, owner of Blue Falls Grove.

"When we arrived we initially found one individual that was bleeding and was somewhat belligerent, and he was taken into custody right away," said Chief Scott Eaken, Northern Berks Regional Police, who added that was just the beginning.

Fists were flying and threats were being made to officers after the couple said, "I do," officials said.

"They were all pushing and shoving each other and it looked like it was getting nasty," said Mehrkam, who added this was a first in the 35 years he's been holding weddings at his venue.

According to police, it all started when a woman, Mandi Groh, was approached by a guest because her 14-year-old son was drunk.
"The mother of this child ended up punching that woman in the face," Eaken said. "Another person saw this and came over to intervene and he was also punched in the face by the mother."

Northern Berks Police called for assistance after several people threatened the officers, said officials.

The groom, Nicholas Papoutsis, challenged officers to a fight and refused to back up and calm down, police said.

Papoutsis was then taken into custody.

Sixteen police departments around the county responded to Blue Falls Grove to gain the upper hand after police said the crowd started to turn on officers.

The bride was sitting on the ground and was later treated for dehydration on scene, said police.

One man was unfazed after being hit with a stun gun twice. An officer had to pull out his baton to bring the man to the ground, said police.

Seven people were arrested at the reception.

"For the bride and groom I'm not sure how that's going to work out for them in the end," Eaken said.

The 14-year-old boy told officers he drank two beers and he blew a .16% on the breathalyzer, said police.

Four police officers were taken to Reading Hospital for evaluation.

Papoutsis posted bail and was released. He's now facing a number of misdemeanor charges.

The six other people arrested are also facing charges.

"I wish the couple luck in the future because it's not a very good start," Mehrkam said.

Source

They should be banned from reproducing.

Why?

Normal people need to laugh here and there and it would not be right to remove us this privilege just to protect an upcoming kid or 2.

One man was unfazed after being hit with a stun gun twice. An officer had to pull out his baton to bring the man to the ground, said police.

Damn, he must have been pretty lite to not go down. 

Sounds like the last Irish-German wedding we attended. 30 minutes after the brawl everyone was toasting each others health.

Wait, it's your birthday too???

Wow.. this thread quickly made me feel young at 26 lol.

Yep you are a youngin.

Turning 39 in August.

66. You were born the year I got married

Happy Birthday old man!  :)

Wow.. this thread quickly made me feel young at 26 lol.

yeap! you are basically just a kid ;)

According to police, it all started when a woman, Mandi Groh, was approached by a guest because her 14-year-old son was drunk.

"The mother of this child ended up punching that woman in the face," Eaken said. "Another person saw this and came over to intervene and he was also punched in the face by the mother."

The 14-year-old boy told officers he drank two beers and he blew a .16% on the breathalyzer, said police.

Source

The entire article is worth it just for those parts!

Wednesday, yes. Here that's 17 more minutes.

Happy birthday from another youngin'!