Console cable

I have an eBox Instagate EX2 that has been converted to pfSense.  I of course forgot the admin password as it has been in storage for several months, and my attempts at trying my usual suspects of passwords and logins have not worked. This is the back:

post-160102-0-39158700-1435112197.jpg

WIll a a DB9 to USB adapter work or will I need something more elaborate? 

I also have a Keyspan usb to serial adapter that I can use, but am not sure if that will suffice or not.

I just need to be able to log into the console side of things and rest the WebGui password from there.

Instead of asking and waiting for an answer - try it - it will either work, or it wont - not gonna hurt anything.

Before I tried it, I wanted to make sure I ordered the correct cable for my USB to serial adaptor.  Since both my firewall box and the adaptor have male pins, I was checking to make sure this would work before I ordered and waited for a female/female DB9 connector  :)

I bought the firewall from eBay last year preinstalled so, hopefully they did do that. Else, I will have a firewall that works, but no way to manage it.

what is pfsense installed to cf or disk in the thing?  You could alway take that and reinstall pfsense to it and then replace in this unit.

what is pfsense installed to cf or disk in the thing?  You could alway take that and reinstall pfsense to it and then replace in this unit.

It is installed on a HDD.  I throught I would just go ahead and reinstall from the installer CD, but my other PC that has IDE connectors (The one remaining one), does not have two nics and I do not have spares, so it would not proceed with the install. 

Come payday, I will order a cable online.

Wait til payday for a <$20 item.. ??? Ok...

You can install pfsense with only 1 nic.. Not sure why having 2 nics would be a requirement?