LG G4

Anyone have the LG G4?  Thinking about picking it up later on today.  There is no root for it yet...but it is a new phone so shouldn't be to much longer until there is since the European model has it.

Anyway, coming from the LG G2 so any thoughts would be appreciated!

I've been using this phone for a week now. Moved over from the iPhone 5 and I'm loving it so far.

There are a few things that I'm missing from my iPhone but if you're moving from another Android, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

I have the brown leather variant and it feels and looks great. It's almost a stock Android experience, with a few LG apps that unfortunately can't be removed easily. They can be hidden which is good. The QuickMemo app is great and I've already had a lot of use from it.

There have been a few reported issues with the responsiveness of the touch screen and I have seen this a few times. Usually happens with the Knock Code or Knock to wake. I've only had a handful of occasions where I've had to try more than twice. 

I can't really comment on battery life yet, as I'm still that period where you have the phone and are playing with it every 5 mins so the battery tends to drain fairly quickly. 

Is there anything in particular you want to know about?

I've been using this phone for a week now. Moved over from the iPhone 5 and I'm loving it so far.

There are a few things that I'm missing from my iPhone but if you're moving from another Android, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

I have the brown leather variant and it feels and looks great. It's almost a stock Android experience, with a few LG apps that unfortunately can't be removed easily. They can be hidden which is good. The QuickMemo app is great and I've already had a lot of use from it.

There have been a few reported issues with the responsiveness of the touch screen and I have seen this a few times. Usually happens with the Knock Code or Knock to wake. I've only had a handful of occasions where I've had to try more than twice. 

I can't really comment on battery life yet, as I'm still that period where you have the phone and are playing with it every 5 mins so the battery tends to drain fairly quickly. 

Is there anything in particular you want to know about?

Just looking for opinions right now.  I have watched reviews but really looking for people who really use the phone and not just do so for reviews.

Been reading a lot about getting Root on the G4 and there are several people working on int.  G4 was rooted, but was not a clean root and temp bricked a phone so they are not  releasing that yet.  Not really concerned about backuping/restoring my apps from my old phone considering I like to do a clean install on new devices of my apps.  I am interested in seeing if there is a adblock problem that will work in apps, browsers, as well as WiFi and 4G.  And probably still use APEX or another UI replacement utility.

were the battery life and heat issues fixed on the G3? My friend has the G2, and he's on his 3rd in <2yrs. The thing blasts through the battery in about 4-5hrs and heats up to the point it's uncomfortable to hold.

i like the G series quite a bit. hopefully the problems from the G2 didnt carry over to the G3 and now G4.

were the battery life and heat issues fixed on the G3? My friend has the G2, and he's on his 3rd in <2yrs. The thing blasts through the battery in about 4-5hrs and heats up to the point it's uncomfortable to hold.

i like the G series quite a bit. hopefully the problems from the G2 didnt carry over to the G3 and now G4.

Never had a problem with the G2.  Had it for almost 2yrs.  Same phone.

• Like 2

Never had a problem with the G2.  Had it for almost 2yrs.  Same phone.

problems?  i know 2 people with  G2 and they have loving but love for the devices.   what specific problem are you talking about, i am curious?

Teenaged son has a G3, even with his constant use he gets decent battery life and it doesn't overheat 

G4 is fine with heat, it does get a little warm with heavy use, but nothing I wouldn't expect. 

problems?  i know 2 people with  G2 and they have loving but love for the devices.   what specific problem are you talking about, i am curious?

I dont have problems.  Was commenting on someone who did.

I dont have problems.  Was commenting on someone who did.

dammit, i was meant to quote Jason S not you :)  

hopefully the problems from the G2 didnt carry over to the G3 and now G4.

what problems if i may?

dammit, i was meant to quote Jason S not you :)  

what problems if i may?

Think he said heat and battery life. 

G4 has gotten some good reviews.  In par with the SGS6.  I just don't care for Samsung. 

Waiting on a call back from my cell provider to see if I can get an early upgrade and if I can run to a store and get it.  If so, may be getting the G4 later on today.

Think he said heat and battery life. 

yeah, i am just lacking sleep, so i missed it, quoting someone else too....  doh!

maybe an early editions then.  stuff like this happens.   but not in all models of g2 that is for sure.  

because i know 2 people who HEAVILY use the phone for work and personal, and it definitely lasts all day long.

No overheating either!

i heard a lot of problems in early s6 too, yet i recently got my phone and i have not seen the same issues at all.

Probably going to hold off on this until I see a verified root for the G4.  Still in production so really don't want to buy anything that cannot be rooted right away.

Probably going to hold off on this until I see a verified root for the G4.  Still in production so really don't want to buy anything that cannot be rooted right away.

are you going to buy it off contract or buy it subsidized?

G4 has gotten some good reviews.  In par with the SGS6.  I just don't care for Samsung. 

Waiting on a call back from my cell provider to see if I can get an early upgrade and if I can run to a store and get it.  If so, may be getting the G4 later on today.

on par in what sense? because spec wise, SGS6 eats every current snapdragon for breakfast (810v1 and 808). UI wise, touchwiz riddled garbage lags even an i7 so :p

are you going to buy it off contract or buy it subsidized?

Have not decided.   By the time the G4 is rooted, new Nexus devices will be out probably.  Seems to be an issue rooting this phone.  Sure it will happen sometime, but when is the big question now.

on par in what sense? because spec wise, SGS6 eats every current snapdragon for breakfast (810v1 and 808). UI wise, touchwiz riddled garbage lags even an i7 so :p

Features I find useful, usage, reviews...that sort of thing.

Have not decided.   By the time the G4 is rooted, new Nexus devices will be out probably.  Seems to be an issue rooting this phone.  Sure it will happen sometime, but when is the big question now.

Who is your carrier?

Aye indeed, one click rooting took almost a year for the g3.

Who is your carrier?

Verizon

Aye indeed, one click rooting took almost a year for the g3.

A dev got the G4 rooted.  It is just messy so they are trying to make it easier.  If I don't go with the G4, I am sure there is another good device soon.

Verizon

A dev got the G4 rooted.  It is just messy so they are trying to make it easier.  If I don't go with the G4, I am sure there is another good device soon.

Are you on a post paid account or a prepaid?

I activated the G3 on Verizon Prepaid for $45 per month. Unlimited Text, Talk and if you autopay 2GB of data.

Are you on a post paid account or a prepaid?

I activated the G3 on Verizon Prepaid for $45 per month. Unlimited Text, Talk and if you autopay 2GB of data.

Contract.  Have no decided what I am going to do yet.

Contract.  Have no decided what I am going to do yet.

Only issue with prepaid is you have to buy a phone outright. Which is why I always live on last years model.

It was funny, back in 2012 - 2013 ... a friend of mine was going with straight talk and she bought the Galaxy S3 ... She paid $630 - Maybe $700 with no insurance. :laugh:

Couple months later I went on eBay got the same phone used, but looked new for $288 .... I just gave it to my dad (CM 12.1) , he's using it on prepaid now too, and loves it. Took him kicking and screaming away from his iPhone 4s. But now he's in love... I think it's cute.

Only issue with prepaid is you have to buy a phone outright. Which is why I always live on last years model.

It was funny, back in 2012 - 2013 ... a friend of mine was going with straight talk and she bought the Galaxy S3 ... She paid $630 - Maybe $700 with no insurance. :laugh:

Couple months later I went on eBay got the same phone used, but looked new for $288 .... I just gave it to my dad (CM 12.1) , he's using it on prepaid now too, and loves it. Took him kicking and screaming away from his iPhone 4s. But now he's in love... I think it's cute.

I dont like buying things like that from eBay unless it is certified.  To much stolen crap on eBay.

Hoping root comes for the LG G4 soon.  Pain that they locked down the bootloader or else root would already be available.  Hopefully someone comes up with a way soon since I really like the phone from what I have been reading.  If no root, I will have to look at other options.