Project Cars for WII U axed

And the director is a giant asshat. Was interested in this game for the PC, but now I refuse to buy anything from his studio out of principle.

deafswin77: Mr Bell due to you screwing the Wii U fans Im afraid to inform you it will be a pass for me on you're game.Not even the ps4 version ..This is what happens when you lie and steal from the fans of Wii U and this a disgrace and flat out just lazy dev..End of story! I have imformed others on our youtube channel to boycott the game

Ian Bell: "Oh please do. We really don't want people like you buying our games.

You won't hear this elsewhere, but in the industry we call you 'The 2%'. You represent 2% of the purchases but create 98% of the hassle for developers by well, just what you've stated above. Going on channels to tell everyone 'don't buy this game!!' because you have some personal grief.

Honestly, if your followers are like minded people we could chop a good chunk off of that 2% in one fell swoop. You'd be doing us a great favour."

---

Darth Praxis: I do thank you Mr. Bell so very much for finally giving those of us who have long been waiting for more news on Project CARS for the Wii U information on this version. I cannot however say that I am terribly pleased with the news, but at this point I am unfortunately not suprised to hear that development has been struggling. I think my biggest frustration with the information you've so kindly provided is how it stands in sharp contrast with the tone and enthusiasm that was once displayed by both yourself and Slightly Mad as a team in prior press releases, stating how well it seemed the Wii U build was coming along.

Make no mistake, I am well aware of the level of responsibilities that likely sit squarely upon your shoulders every day and can only assume how much pressure you are under to make the correct decisions that hopefully place your company on a successful path for each product you develop.

That being said, I still maintain that this decision to place the Wii U version of Project CARS on an indefinite hiatus so as to concert your efforts on what must be viewed as far more viable platforms that traditionally are more receptive to such third party efforts, was sorely mishandled and this refocusing of assets is more likely the reason that the Wii U version now seemingly sits on the precipice of cancellation.

I must conclude that due to their technical capabilities development on the PC, PS4 and Xbox 1 versions bypassed the limits that the Wii U's hardware had thusfar saddled your team with during early development. But if no co-development on Wii U was being performed concurrent with these other more advanced builds, it is very clear how terribly far behind the Wii U version now is, and would likely take an extremely long time and serious dedication now to try and satisfy not only your enthusiastic Nintendo customers but your own benchmarks for the game to be acceptable in your own eyes.

As was stated by others in this thread Nintendo has been fairly clear that they plan no public release of information at this years E3 on their upcoming replacement for the Wii U, their system codenamed "NX". But that isn't to say that behind closed doors they wouldn't be willing to begin negotiations for releasing Dev Kits for the new console this close to it's potential release with anyone in the developer community willing listen....or sign a contract. Perhaps this is the information that you imply will be made available this coming E3. I do hope that is the case. But I cannot say that I will then support you and your company at that point.

Again I thank you for finally divulging your plans regarding what might have been the Wii U version. I am by no means happy with your decision and have to state that keeping us completely in the dark while development for all other versions was openly discussed and advertised has been detrimental to your reputation within the Nintendo community. And even though I can understand your decision from a business perspective, I cannot in good conscience respect the way you and your company decided to treat and show no respect to the Wii U community as a whole. If anything it has only given creedence that developers could care less about us!

Good day sir.

Ian Bell: Yup, and if you need to pass this on, we really dislike Nintendo users.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?27584-Can-the-Wii-U-run-PCARS&p=942776&viewfull=1#post942776

Was it ever really reasonable to think a game like this was coming to the Wii U? Was it promised and then revoked or something? I doubt anyone bought a Wii U solely for Project CARS.

Seems like internet whinging, frankly.

Was it ever really reasonable to think a game like this was coming to the Wii U? Was it promised and then revoked or something? I doubt anyone bought a Wii U solely for Project CARS.

Actually they did promise it, several times. They showed trailers, it still says on the website that it's coming for Wii U later in the year, the devs talked about it, people backed it on kickstarter etc. But then a day or two ago they decided the game wasn't going to come out for the Wii U.

That wasn't the problem, ###### happens and the Wii U isn't as powerful as the xbox and playstation consoles. The problem was with the way they announced it and then the devs / studio heads who then went on the forums saying "we really dislike nintendo users"...especially when there were few people who did back the game solely because they announced it was coming out for the Wii U.

• Like 2

Actually they did promise it, several times. They showed trailers, it still says on the website that it's coming for Wii U later in the year, the devs talked about it, people backed it on kickstarter etc. But then a day or two ago they decided the game wasn't going to come out for the Wii U.

That wasn't the problem, ###### happens and the Wii U isn't as powerful as the xbox and playstation consoles. The problem was with the way they announced it and then the devs / studio heads who then went on the forums saying "we really dislike nintendo users"...especially when there were few people who did back the game solely because they announced it was coming out for the Wii U.

They didn't use kickstarter though. the dev studio guys also made their own crown funding system where those who back would get a percentage of the profits base on the percentage they backed. 

Their system got caught in legal matters and was stopped because they where effectively selling shares without giving shares and following the economic rules they lie within. 

either way they promised the backers a Wii U version and didn't follow up. But yeah this company has been doing shady crap since the start. I'm wondering if the original backers have seen any of their promised profits yet, or even heard anything about them. They'll probably find some new reasons to keep them as well. 

This Ian Bell person seems to be a complete asshat and clearly has absolutely no idea how to talk to the paying public.  He seems to have completely forgotten the most basic fact about commerce... If you ###### off your customer base, they don't buy your product.

People could argue that he's only pissing off people he's not making a product for, but how long before his attitude problem spills out to the other platforms?  I think I'll just give this company a miss, all because of Bell's attitude.

• Like 1

The guys attitude sucks, but I've never disliked a game so much in my life (XB1). I hated it so much that I traded it in 2 days after purchase.

You guys are not missing out :)

If you ###### off your customer base, they don't buy your product.

And they tell others not to buy your product. And they complain about mistreatment.

This guy might have a reasonable reason  to respond to angry, internet kids . . . but he shouldn't. It is PR 101: don't argue with customers on the net. It never ends in your favour.

• Like 2

And they tell others not to buy your product. And they complain about mistreatment.

This guy might have a reasonable reason  to respond to angry, internet kids . . . but he shouldn't. It is PR 101: don't argue with customers on the net. It never ends in your favour.

Exactly. Had I been responding, I'd have simply said "I'm really sorry, we tried, but we just couldn't get it to run at a playable framerate due to hardware limitations."  I would never insult my customers.

• Like 2

Actually he doesn't even have a reason. the customers has a reason to be angry since they paid for a product he decided he didn't want to make. and he knew the limits of the Wii U when he launched his "crowd funding", which depending on how he handles the payment of profits may very well be crowd frauding as well. 

Exactly. Had I been responding, I'd have simply said "I'm really sorry, we tried, but we just couldn't get it to run at a playable framerate due to hardware limitations."  I would never insult my customers.

Well, to be fair, at least in that conversation, deafswin77 started it at with "ill boycott" your channel. Now granted, mr bell is lacking some serious public managing capabilities.

Well, to be fair, at least in that conversation, deafswin77 started it at with "ill boycott" your channel. Now granted, mr bell is lacking some serious public managing capabilities.

As a business man, you're meant to be able to ignore trolls. He fell for the bait, hook line and sinker, and came out stinking of poop.

Oops.

• Like 1

As a business man, you're meant to be able to ignore trolls. He fell for the bait, hook line and sinker, and came out stinking of poop.

Oops.

yup I agree! 0 crowd management skills.

But can you blame him for being honest?  We are used to being fed bull by media. ( Though, worth noticing, they did promise for the wiiu, so it's his fault to begin with :laugh: )

yup I agree! 0 crowd management skills.

But can you blame him for being honest?  We are used to being fed bull by media. ( Though, worth noticing, they did promise for the wiiu, so it's his fault to begin with :laugh: )

He wasn't honest though, he was insulting. He should have just stuck with the facts and said "We couldn't get it running right". Attacking the customer base was moronic.

• Like 2

As far as I understand it, the devs couldn't get the game to run above 23 fps. Again, as I understand it, Nintendo demands a minimum of 30 FPS for every game developed for the Wii U.

The devs made the effort, but the hardware was simply lacking. I think it was foolish for them to offer a Wii U version, and perhaps this is an example of the danger of contributing to a project which is in such an early stage.

Actually he doesn't even have a reason. the customers has a reason to be angry since they paid for a product he decided he didn't want to make. and he knew the limits of the Wii U when he launched his "crowd funding", which depending on how he handles the payment of profits may very well be crowd frauding as well. 

Respectfully, they aren't customers, they are backers. They use their personal money to back this game. Essentially, they are investors who gambled and lost. Ironically, gamers should appreciate the concept of risk and reward better than others.

Unless you can demonstrate that they are victims of fraud, they are really victims of over-enthusiast capitalism. 

As far as I understand it, the devs couldn't get the game to run above 23 fps. Again, as I understand it, Nintendo demands a minimum of 30 FPS for every game developed for the Wii U.

The devs made the effort, but the hardware was simply lacking. I think it was foolish for them to offer a Wii U version, and perhaps this is an example of the danger of contributing to a project which is in such an early stage.

Respectfully, they aren't customers, they are backers. They use their personal money to back this game. Essentially, they are investors who gambled and lost. Ironically, gamers should appreciate the concept of risk and reward better than others.

Unless you can demonstrate that they are victims of fraud, they are really victims of over-enthusiast capitalism. 

This makes a good poin in this thread!

I don't see how it's surprising news. It was originally intended just for PC, then 360 & PS3, then they decided to do it for next gen consoles, the PS3 and 360 version was canned, not just Wii U. Nintendo are baby consoles as far as I'm concerned, they need to stick with Zelda and Mario, all the overdone ancient crap.

And for those saying they traded Project Cars in after a few days, patch 1.4 is out and it's even better than ever. Ian Bell might come across as arrogant, but he sure listens to feedback, as long as you're nice to him, he's nice to you, I've had tons of nice chats with him. I'll give him one thing, not many studio bosses take the time to sit in forums talking to users. That's nice, and something guys like Volition and Rockstar need to do more.

They've said they'll push the game for Nintendo's next console, codename NX, so just wait and see.

• Like 1

That's what i'm thinking.

The replies seem like the replies of a man that's had enough dealing with people with a false sense of entitlement. The first guy was just plain rude. Yes, he probably could have handled it a bit better, but then we all fail to do that sometimes.

I really like the sound of this guy, and he's right (kudos for actually being honest for a change)

In nearly all walks of life, the minority end up spoiling it for the majority

Seriously, did anyone really think the wii u could handle this kinda game....the wii u is great for mario and donkey kong....and that's it!

If Nintendo can't make decent consoles anymore, just make great games on other platforms.........man, what I'd give for those on the xbox/ps4

• Like 1

I really like the sound of this guy, and he's right (kudos for actually being honest for a change)

Seriously, did anyone really think the wii u could handle this kinda game....the wii u is great for mario and donkey kong....and that's it!

If Nintendo can't make decent consoles anymore, just make great games on other platforms.........man, what I'd give for those on the xbox/ps4

I think you're kind of missing the point FFM has stated far too many times now.

Being honest would be "sorry to let you guys down, but unfortunately we just didn't have the skills/hardware to get this working at a good enough level"

Behaving like an asshat and basically insulting any Wii-U fan with his talk of "meh you're 2% of the market, and your all idiots" type talk just isn't right. He has shown a complete lack of respect for any of his customers.

Was the first guy being an asshat too? Of course, but I don't really see "he did it first" as an mature argument for behaviour.

• Like 3

The WiiU is an excellent console with great hardware, but it's just not suited to games with ultra-realistic graphics.

When it comes to more cartoony graphics, which have their place in the world, the WiiU just rocks.  As for gameplay, I'd love to see half as many other console/PC games be even close to the playability & fun factor of most Ninty games.  Splatoon, for example, is probably the most fun anyone could possibly have whilst staying dressed! :p