Pizza delivery driver leads deputies to rooster-fighting ring

Authorities are crediting an alert pizza delivery driver with leading them to an illegal rooster-fighting ring after dropping off an order there during one of the bird fights Friday night.

When deputies followed up on the tip Monday, they found more than 120 roosters and chickens, along with a fighting ring inside a barn, training tools and medicine used to treat the birds, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Office.

Eliut Juse Serrano Hernandez, 38, who lives at the house on 21st Street Northwest, told deputies the birds are his and he has fought them at the house "one or two times," according to an arrest report.

He is facing charges of possessing animals and equipment for fighting and leasing property for fights, the report states.

Deputies said they went to the house Monday based on the tip from the driver, who delivered a pizza to the house last weekend during a rooster fight.

When deputies went there, they met with Hernandez, who showed them around the property until they found the apparent rooster-fighting ring, which still had feathers in it.

Hernandez then got uneasy and told deputies to leave, the Sheriff's Office said. Detectives went back a short while later with a search warrant.

Deputies said they found 123 rooster and chickens either in cages or roaming free around the property. Nine of the roosters were bred at the property and had were prepped to fight, deputies said.

They also found a table used for trimming the rooster spurs, along with ceramic spurs that deputies said are attached to roosters and used to more easily kill another rooster during a fight.

"We really appreciate this pizza delivery driver calling us," Sheriff Grady Judd said in a news release. "Frankly, I can't understand why someone would ask for a pizza delivery during an illegal ######-fight

1) Another pizza delivery driver saves more living things from death by criminals. Perhaps we should hire these people for law enforcement?

2) I was wondering why rooster fight was censored. Then James May popped into my head "OH ######"