HP P410 monitoring in ESXi 5.5

Hi All,

I have a HP P410 storage controller (with 512MB BBWC if that makes any difference) and I'm currently running ESXi 5.5 - the normal build, not HP's special build. The controller works absolutely fine however since switching to ESXi 5.5 I've had trouble monitoring it. I've installed the drivers from HP (HP software installed as follows:)

~ # esxcli software vib list | grep Hewlett-Packard
char-hpilo                     500.9.0.0.9-1OEM.500.0.0.434156       Hewlett-Packard  PartnerSupported  2015-06-08  
hpacucli                       9.20-9.0                              Hewlett-Packard  PartnerSupported  2015-06-08  
hpbootcfg                      01-01.02                              Hewlett-Packard  PartnerSupported  2015-06-08  
hponcfg                        04-00.10                              Hewlett-Packard  PartnerSupported  2015-06-08  
scsi-hpsa                      5.5.0.106-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820        Hewlett-Packard  VMwareCertified   2015-06-25  
However, no matter what I try, I cannot get the controller to show up in hpacucli:

~ # /opt/hp/hpacucli/bin/hpacucli
HP Array Configuration Utility CLI 9.20.9.0
Detecting Controllers...Done.
Type "help" for a list of supported commands.
Type "exit" to close the console.

=> ctrl all show status

Error: No controllers detected. 
and it doesn't show up in the health tab in vSphere client.

Does anyone have any suggestions if I've missed something? I'm running out of ideas.

I don't really have any other boxes around I can test with at the moment.

After some further testing I found that hpssacli works. Looking around it seems 5.5 broke something in hpacucli. Still doesn't show the health in the client but at least I can see the status accurately now (and also see that yet another ST3000DM001 is failing).

according to this that controller is supported but only the HP image of ESXi (5.5 version).

can you use that image, in a USB drive, for a couple of hours (just to troubleshoot)? if it works then you know where the problem resides.

what is the box its running in.. Why can you not just run the hp version of esxi?  This seems like what you should be running or going to have issues.