Supreme Court Rules All States Must License And Recognize Same-Sex Marriages

it's time to get rid of common law marriages.

in many states if you live with your partner for 10 years you are de-facto married. this could lead to some unfortunate circumstances for straight people living together.

on the other hand I can't wait to watch lesbian divorce court. it will be fantastic watching one woman act all entitled to alimony and the other having her jaw drop to the ground because it's something that women never expect to happen to them.

So what your brain is attempting to process is that if two straight people of the same sex live together for 10 years then they'll somehow become common law married?

Has your brain had a snickers today?

• Like 1

So what your brain is attempting to process is that if two straight people of the same sex live together for 10 years then they'll somehow become common law married?

No, he's quite right.  Under the law, if a man & a woman live together for 10+ years, legally they would be considered common law husband & wife, so the same will clearly apply to same sex folks.

If I like a guy enough to live with him for 10 years, I think it'd be nice if he had some legal rights to our joint home, and medical decisions too.  Not that I would, coz I'm already married and I don't think the missus would approve... :p

• Like 2

No, he's quite right. Under the law, if a man & a woman live together for 10+ years, legally they would be considered common law husband & wife, so the same will clearly apply to same sex folks.

If I like a guy enough to live with him for 10 years, I think it'd be nice if he had some legal rights to our joint home, and medical decisions too. Not that I would, coz I'm already married and I don't think the missus would approve... :p

Actually he's quite wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage_in_the_United_States

For common law marriage to exist the couple have to publicly acknowledge that they are husband and wife.

~

yes. are you really going to defend the practice of government assuming your married just because you've lived together for a long amount of time that you're de-facto married and then turn around and use that as justification to put a couple of guys in a divorce court where one guy will be forced to give up part of his property and possibly pay alimony?

Actually he's quite wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage_in_the_United_States

For common law marriage to exist the couple have to publicly acknowledge that they are husband and wife.

Well, yes. Obviously they have to SAY they're married, though if one is incapacitated then I think the law allows the other to declare it?

Although, reading your link, it does say SSM is excluded from common law marriage... Wonder if that will still apply after today's ruling though...

As a straight married male, I'm outraged because of how this affects my.... affects my....

Oh wait, it doesn't have an effect on me at all. It would only bother me if I was a bigot. Carry on.

#LoveWins

• Like 4

Once again the Supreme Court has proven to nothing more than an lealized orginized crime syndicate. This has always been a individule states decision, and should have been left at that. 

I'm not a hater, just tired of this government jumping in when they clearly don't have too.

This will cause more un-employment in the US. Because there wont be any need for "Parenting Advice" so Parenting Advisers will be fired/ kicked out from their job....Also demand for doctors' will decrease cause there will be less pregnancies hence causing more un-employment.  :( sad day indeed!!! 

~

Once again the Supreme Court has proven to nothing more than an lealized orginized crime syndicate. This has always been a individule states decision, and should have been left at that. 

I'm not a hater, just tired of this government jumping in when they clearly don't have too.

it's the reason why the federal government has far too much power. it's a top down enforcement of liberal culture.

~

redefining marriage huh.  polygamy up next !

it is. every argument in favor of gay marriage works for polygamy.

I support same sex marriage so in that way this was a victory, but the way the court went about this was ugly; so in that way this was a loss.

I guess this is a very bittersweet victory...

The court pulled marriage from the State and placed it under the realm of the Constitution without any solid reasoning for this and overturning centuries of precedent in this realm. I expected a victory based around the Full Faith & Credit clause... This is a very troubling way to achieve victory.

This will cause more un-employment in the US. Because there wont be any need for "Parenting Advice" so Parenting Advisers will be fired/ kicked out from their job....Also demand for doctors' will decrease cause there will be less pregnancies hence causing more un-employment.   :( sad day indeed!!! 

Less pregnancies? Are you saying straight couples are going to decide not to have kids because of this?  :/

So... in states that offer limited or no support for SSM - how will they implement the new requirement and how long do they have?

The court pulled marriage from the State and placed it under the realm of the Constitution without any solid reasoning for this and overturning centuries of precedent in this realm. I expected a victory based around the Full Faith & Credit clause... This is a very troubling way to achieve victory.

well, Obamacare is tax according to this court . what else did you expect.

It's not an individual state's issue when people cross a state line.

it is. every argument in favor of gay marriage works for polygamy.

that was my point. I wonder when muslims or mormans will bring legalized polygamy the supreme court.. if they are redefining marriage then sure they can change from 2 consenting adults to 3 or 4 consenting adults.

This is what bothers me so much about this ruling. The court usurped the power of the State to legislate. Not a position we want from the court. It wasn't setup as a legislative institution.

This battle should have been left to the states with SCOTUS stepping in via the one area I think they are legally allowed to do so... To enforce the Full Faith & Credit clause of the Constitution.

This will cause more un-employment in the US. Because there wont be any need for "Parenting Advice" so Parenting Advisers will be fired/ kicked out from their job....Also demand for doctors' will decrease cause there will be less pregnancies hence causing more un-employment.   :( sad day indeed!!! 

Why? Are straight couples going to suddenly stop having kids or something?

Seriously, did you even read the dribble you typed there?

It's not an individual state's issue when people cross a state line.

So, Driver's licenses should be done on a Federal level as well? After all, I do drive to other states without first being licensed in those states... The same is true for my Car regarding tags, registration, and inspections.

This is what bothers me so much about this ruling. The court usurped the power of the State to legislate. Not a position we want from the court. It wasn't setup as a legislative institution.

This battle should have been left to the states with SCOTUS stepping in via the one area I think they are legally allowed to do so... To enforce the Full Faith & Credit clause of the Constitution.

What bothers me is that some people can't accept that two people of the same sex cannot be happy and love each other in the same way that straight couples do.